Jump to content

1/72 - Westland Wasp HAS.1 by LF Models - released


Homebee

Recommended Posts

I see they have their Wasp decals in stock as well, and cheaper too:

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/air72-007-westland-scout-and-wasp-in-worldwide-service

 

And they do a AS.11 missile set.

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/ac-133-westland-wasp-has1-nord-ss12-missile-set

but it’s out of stock 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Wasp kit has just arrived -  a real beauty!   This is selling so well, they are now considering releasing these kits in 1/48th scale?   Any takers? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, AMB said:

My Wasp kit has just arrived -  a real beauty!   This is selling so well, they are now considering releasing these kits in 1/48th scale?   Any takers? 

1/48, I'll take four of each 😁 Scout especially as it was the first helicopter I flew in, from Omagh to John Haddens quarry at Carrickmore on an explosives escort 1982. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Model Art Decals do a sheet for the Wasp HAS1 see Modartdecs.

It’s sheet no. 72/078
 

I would recommend to use aftermarket decals anyway as the decals LF provides do not seem to be opaque and dark colours may be likely to shine through brighter decal motives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

Just joined this FB group. Well... exactly my impression of LF Hiller H-23. It is still buildable though and looks like the model is dimensionally correct at least. Now we need a review on accuracy of this Scout/Wasp to bring a concensus opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Got both on the bench at the moment and despite my intial high hopes of a nice build I'm afraid all is not well.

OK, its nicely detailed in some areas (and the transparencies are gorgeous) but I'm finding them a particularly challenging build with regard to location points especially on the Wasp undercarrige. Basically, there aren't any...😕

They're also very basic and oversized struts. The instructions aren't much help either. Everything is pretty much a 'butt joint'. There is also a fair amount of 'flash' to clean off too mainly on the tiniest parts.

Nevertheless I shall persevere and will be using some decals from the On Target sheet. Oh, and the LF canopy masking set is a must.

Good luck with all yours.

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, keithjs said:

but I'm finding them a particularly challenging build with regard to location points especially on the Wasp undercarrige. Basically, there aren't any

 

Is this due to the kit using the same parts for the Wasp and the Scout?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

 

Is this due to the kit using the same parts for the Wasp and the Scout?

 

Possibly? I would have thought that using the same fuselage is OK up to point and maybe some flashed over holes appropriate to each version would have been useful? Fitting the skids on the AAC one is simple enough as there are only 3 attachment points underneath but its still a bit of a guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Going together, slowly, the plastic certainly doesn't like Extra Thin, lots of sanding needed, it's more like a 70s kit. 

 Do you have a WIP thread for your build? Would be interesting to see how its progressing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2024 at 6:46 PM, Johnson said:

I see they have their Wasp decals in stock as well, and cheaper too:

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/air72-007-westland-scout-and-wasp-in-worldwide-service

 

And they do a AS.11 missile set.

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/ac-133-westland-wasp-has1-nord-ss12-missile-set

but it’s out of stock 

I got my decals from Fantasy Print shop, will be arriving this week, wahoo.

Chris

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, keithjs said:

For anyone interested heres a few shots of mine as they stand at the moment. The white disc on the undersides are to replace the circular panel that got removed during sanding.

Do you brush paint all the minor bits on assembled model? I would never be able to paint seats, instrument panel or engine after assembly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Do you brush paint all the minor bits on assembled model? I would never be able to paint seats, instrument panel or engine after assembly. 

 

Yes, I usually do but as the parts are fairly simple I thought it might be easier this time. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, keithjs said:

 

Yes, I usually do but as the parts are fairly simple I thought it might be easier this time. 

Yeah - I'd love to see the result! And looks like detailed enough kit so far. For such a small helicopter any further details in 1/72 could become a pain to 90% of modellers. I think what I see it's a good compromise between realism and possibility to assemble the model.

 

Another question - are these little boys tailsitters or not really?

 

Can't wait till I get mine! I feel I might jump into its assembly immediately :eat:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Yeah - I'd love to see the result! And looks like detailed enough kit so far. For such a small helicopter any further details in 1/72 could become a pain to 90% of modellers. I think what I see it's a good compromise between realism and possibility to assemble the model.

 

Another question - are these little boys tailsitters or not really?

 

Can't wait till I get mine! I feel I might jump into its assembly immediately :eat:

No, the Wasp certainly isn't but I might add a few grams to the front of the Scout. It doesn't actually fall backwards but it's not level either. The front of the skids don't sit completely flush with the ground along their whole length..

Indeed, I might well build another one when the aftermarket boys have done some bits and peices.

  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, keithjs said:

For anyone interested heres a few shots of mine as they stand at the moment.

 

They look great to my eyes. Thanks for posting Keith.

 

Will you be posting any more pics of your builds? Maybe in the Work In Progress section?

 

Charlie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

 

They look great to my eyes. Thanks for posting Keith.

 

Will you be posting any more pics of your builds? Maybe in the Work In Progress section?

 

Charlie

Thank you,Charlie. Doubt it, theres not a lot more to show till they're finished. I want to try and get them finished for the Mosquito museum show next week.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, keithjs said:

Doubt it, theres not a lot more to show till they're finished. I want to try and get them finished for the Mosquito museum show next week....

 

Fair enough. Do let us know how you get on if you have time, fit etc.

 

Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...