1/32 - Messerschmitt Bf.109K-4 Kurfürst by Kōtare - 3D renders - release late 2024, early 2025

Homebee

37 minutes ago, Greg B said:

My head says sensible business choice for Kotare. But my heart says Hurricane…

Agree! Where’s the Hurricane ……. 😭

Well a 109 K !  I assume from the Kotare Spitfire mould that this will be an exceptional kit. Assuming a price point of £100 or so it’s just about double the older Hasegawa/Revell kit. 
What I liked and said so about the Spitfire 1 was that there wasn’t one done by anyone else. 
The 109K misses out on novelty in that respect. 
I also think the Spitfire 1 with its Battle of Britain history is arguably the mark to have if you only have one Spitfire (just 1 who am I kidding)

Again for my money the right 109 is the E and after that it’s all downhill by Willy. So again I’d suggest a K is just ever so slightly off the pace. That said we do have lots of 1/32 “E’s” but not necessarily to Kotare’s standard. 
So for me their Spitfire hit the bullseye dead centre while the 109k is a good inner ring. 

And while it would probably have been unwise commercially for Kotare to venture outside the standard options so early in the life of the business I can imagine their debate resulting in a decision “OK it has to be a 109 but let’s go to the end of the line - we do the K.”

Mainstream with a twist. 

Ah well maybe a 1/32 Defiant one day

• Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Messerschmitt Bf.109K-4 Kurfürst by Kōtare - 3D renders - release late 2024, early 2025
On 18/01/2024 at 07:38, Flying Pancake said:

I think we all kind of expected a 109 just maybe not the K... Surprised it's not an E

Yeah that was what I thought most likely, too, with a Hurricane I a close second.  I read a little too much into the comments made about it needing a companion - assumed it would be contemporary to the Spitfire Mk I and then those two are the obvious candidates.

I'm not as keen on Lufty stuff but I will probably get it because it's Kotare + I'm increasingly becoming interested in 1/32 scale stuff.  I'm sure it will look great!

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 01:21, Sabrejet said:

Disappointing: I'm sure we'd been told that Kotare would intersperse the mediocre with interesting subjects? Or did I imagine that bit?

I think they're following the old Matchbox idea........4 or 5 mainstream subjects followed by an oddball.

I LOVE the K-4....second only to the G-10 / G-10AS.

ANR for me.......I have the decals! And Kroat for the G-10AS if it ever comes out.......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul in Napier said:

G-10AS.

ANR for me.......I have the decals! And Kroat for the G-10AS

No G-10/AS

The Croatian one is a G-14/AS

On Hyperscale there was a post by Lynn Ritger I think,  making the point that that all G-10 were set up for the larger supercharger, only on the AS and D engine, the 'refined' cowling.   It's possible that a G-10 airframe could be fitted with an AS,  but records don't show any difference.  

The G6/ G-14* could have either A/AM engine,  or with a refined cowl, the AS engine, hence reason for specifying G-14 and G-14/AS

*  It seems that even the Luftwaffe are unsure where a G-6 ends and a G-14 starts...   Late war 109's, don'tcha luv 'em

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

No G-10/AS

The Croatian one is a G-14/AS

On Hyperscale there was a post by Lynn Ritger I think,  making the point that that all G-10 were set up for the larger supercharger, only on the AS and D engine, the 'refined' cowling.   It's possible that a G-10 airframe could be fitted with an AS,  but records don't show any difference.  

The G6/ G-14* could have either A/AM engine,  or with a refined cowl, the AS engine, hence reason for specifying G-14 and G-14/AS

*  It seems that even the Luftwaffe are unsure where a G-6 ends and a G-14 starts...   Late war 109's, don'tcha luv 'em

Fair enough, but can you do a -14AS from a -10AS kit?

Planning ahead for 2026 lol

19 minutes ago, Paul in Napier said:

Fair enough, but can you do a -14AS from a -10AS kit?

Planning ahead for 2026 lol

It depends.  Possibly.  And, again,  there is not a G-10 AS.   G-10's are bad enough without adding a different engine.

Kotare may have gone for the K-4 simply as it's reasonably homogenous,  apart from a handful built by Erla, of which there is one photo. 

A G-10 can have many differences in airframe detail,  first depends on factory, the Erla cowl is quite different to the Diana and WNF cowl, then there are small or large wheel bulges, short/tail tail wheel, subtle variations in rudders and fins and a few other bits... Have a look at the various Eduard kits for these.  They do separate  an Erla, WNF and Diana G-10 kits

This also applies to the G-14AS.  Add in rebuilt airframes as well for a bit more spice.

In many cases it's impossible to tell the difference, it's externally very small.

"The external visible difference between the G14/AS and the G10 was apparently the position of the cold weather starter hatch on the starboard side of the nose - on the G10 it was in line with the little hole on the rear of the cowl, on the G14AS it was lower down"

You were asking about that Croat plane that defected and is famous....  

The sheer range of of various bit and pieces mean that catering for them all is a big job. 

The K-4 also is the final 109, and sports a goodly range of marking options, though no photos of the ANR machines in Italian colours have as yet surfaced...

Finally, given the likely very fine surface detail that Kotare do, backdating a K-4 to a G-10 would be tricky, well, to replace the external surface neatly,  as the K was designed to incorporate a load of changes,  and some of  these are external, like the radio hatch, compass hatch,  fuel filler points, and the wing was K specific. 

Revell do a Erla G-10 in 1/32nd

https://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/revell04888reviewbg_1.htm

which also covers some of the points I mention.

The Revell G-6/10 kits had input from Lynn Ritger,  and AFAIK , decent.

HTH

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

You were asking about that Croat plane that defected and is famous....  

T

The K-4 also is the final 109, and sports a goodly range of marking options, though no photos of the ANR machines in Italian colours have as yet surfaced...

HTH

Thanks for reminding me about the Kroat ones...........I have all that saved, just forgot lol

Ali Straniere in Italia book says there is a photo of 3-17 / 330209...........although they don't show the picture!

EDIT...found a pic in the D'Amico / Valentini book on the ANR...page 88, but it's still in German markings.

Edited by Paul in Napier
New info

Just now, Paul in Napier said:

Ali Straniere in Italia book says there is a photo of 3-17 / 330209...........although they don't show the picture!

There is, but as I said, not in ANR markings

Messerschmitt-Bf-109K4-ANR-1Gruppo-3Sqad

It is recorded as being 3-17, but profiles are based on other ANR aircraft marking methods.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Paul in Napier said:

I'll leave it to others to discern the colours!

Easy. According to my copy of Late War Luftwaffe Farben for Fanatics, it's RLM ** and RLM ** on the upper wing and tailplane. Fuselage in RLM ** and possibly RLM ** with roughly applied patches of RLM **.  Undersurfaces painted in RLM 'something looking like RAF Sky but it may be just the light' and/or natural metal and/or primer in parts, or possibly overall. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Paul in Napier said:

I'll leave it to others to discern the colours!

the Eduard Kurfust instructions has the most recent thoughts on K camouflage,  input from Tomas Poruba of JaPo publications

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/11177.pdf

also seems the upper wings were 74/75,  as they were K specific and made by a subcontractor. 

Also mentions there were Croat operated K-4's

well worth a read.

HTH

Unlikley you will get ANR markings ,the above image is the only one .And any markings are based on what they did with other 109's ,as to did they do  it , well who knows for sure . Should be a great kit if their spitfire is any thing to go by  and it will be popular  . Sure they could have done other things but who what everyone else is up to .Tamiya might get back in the game or revell might pop a Hurricane ,time will tell . Back dating to a G14AS is do able but the large wheel fairings cut down your marking options as most G14AS had the small wheel fairings ,but where there is a will there is a way 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just a little too tired at this point in the evening, but how did we not see this coming?

Kotare begins with the letter K.  Of course they're going to do a K-4 first for the 109!  Good thing there's no O's or R's to do, so only three batches away from the E everyone is desperate for.

I'll shut up now.  Off to bed.

Bronzemeister

• Haha 2

The Spit I is iconic in many ways, BoB and everything.

But so is the 109K-4 for totally different reasons. The K is that mysterious last one, assembled close to the end in far away woods, deep in Germany. The last identified 109 version, enigmatic in many ways. All the final details are not yet identified properly, yet. And those late war paint finishes, with various parts built by subcontractors. Primers and unpainted areas, due to a very difficult logistic situation. Those regulations that existed could not be followed. Strange, late war RML paints.

Any final model has to be the result of historical and modelling interpretation.

I feel so much for those modellers that wanted an early Hurricane. But a 109K-4 is an excellent choice! 

• Like 5

I've got a couple of 1/32 Trumpeter K-4s in the stash, so this announcement is pleasant news as far as I'm concerned.

Late-war Luftwaffe colour schemes offer plenty of variety. Yes, I'm most likely in for this release.

I wonder if this is to tie in with Masters of the Air? I know the G variant would also work but the Bombers of the 8th would surely have been coming up against the K variant in the latter stages. This is their way of tying in the with show while also doing something a bit different?

On 1/18/2024 at 1:14 PM, Greg B said:

My head says sensible business choice for Kotare. But my heart says Hurricane…

:)

No, I think a Hurricane Mk I would have been more sensible, since the market is starved for one. The 109 will sell well and I will buy one but a Hurricane would have smashed the numbers.

Took the children for a nice coastal walk today, as they’re driving me to distraction in the last few weeks of the summer holidays.

Anyway, I saw these beautiful birds perched on a branch overlooking the Waitemata:

53484865812_e8408792ee_b.jpg

Halcyon sancta, NZ Sacred Kingfisher, or.. Kōtare. Now my Kingfisher is fairly rusty, but from the snatches of conversation I overheard, I got something about ‘fabric wing’ and ‘Sydney Camm’. I would have kept listening but they started squabbling about spinner colours and one flew off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1