Krupp quad AA fun and games **FINISHED**

robw_uk

Time for some and games.... I love the German quad mounted AA so why not go, "what happens if a Krupp Protze met a 20mm quad AA?.... ". I know there are weight questions so thinking,

Lose the windscreen

Lose the armour from the 20mm

Lose most of the trailer mounts from the 20mm

Lose a lot of the side body work from the Krupp....

Let's see how this goes shall we

Oh and probably grey with winter whitewash ...

IMG-20230805-154514.jpg

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 6

Can start to see how this might look..... Not sure if I will fill in the whole truck bed....

All just placed at the moment

[Url=https://ibb.co/6b0z4bM]IMG-20230812-175619.jpg[/url]

IMG-20230812-175607.jpg

• Like 12

Don't think you would get me firing this thing ... As the guns swing the seats end up ove the side..... May add small side parts like the quad half track... But maybe not

IMG-20230813-184405.jpg

IMG-20230813-184421.jpg

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 7

Speaking as a design engineer rather than a modeller I think you have the pivot point/base mount for the gun mount too far back and it should be 10mm forward ie: over the front of the two rear axles, my thinking is this there is to much weight at the back and would cause the front axle to lift whilst driving it would bot be balanced on the chassis.

The gunners position would be ok for moving the loader boards would be removed or smaller.

Pete 

• Like 1

It's interesting to see the 'what if' develop ..... it looks like it could have been an actual thing .... with some minor engineering and design tweeks! 

Keith 😁 

thanks all... had wondered about where it should be mounted... moving it forward (without raising it up) would mean it could only fire forwards (about a 120deg arc... )... but it does look more balanced so will look at mounting there (need to fill in the small gap then at the front of the gun mount - not sure it would be suitable for stowage

IMG-20230814-073809.jpg

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, PeteH1969 said:

Looking much better.

Going by the pictures that MIG Eater posted I would raise it up by 3mm as well.

Pete 

I will have a look at that - will mean more boxes but that I can build... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

had wondered about where it should be mounted..

Gidday Rob, I've looked at these mountings myself, as I build German warships. There is a seat directly behind the mounting. If the mounting were to train directly astern/behind there may not be enough clearance between that seat and the cabin if positioned as in you last photo. Your decision of course, but have you considered moving the mounting a little further aft so the rotating axis is between the two rear wheel axles? It would put the weight of the mounting over the rear suspension, and give you a bit more clearance for the seat. Also, if the truck bay sides were to fold outward they could create a wider flat surface for the gun crews.

I'm a model ship builder myself, but I also like what-ifs. This is certainly an interesting project. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Decals on... Next step Matt varnish the  winter camo ... Thinking all upper body work, not horizontal surfaces of flatbed and then the gun.....

IMG-20231031-184039.jpg

IMG-20231031-184022.jpg

• Like 8