Best avro shackleton book

ed-209

Good evening all

I am looking for opinions on books about the shackleton and am considering buying 

Shackleton Britons heavy marine bomber and the books about crew experiences I can't remember the name of them but there's two of them 

Has anyone read them are they any good or do you have a better suggestions

Thanks 

ed

Hello mate

Both of the ‘Shackleton Boys 1 & 2’ by Steve Bond (Grub Street Publishing) are well worth reading - very enjoyable. Theres also a new hardback coming out later this month titled ‘Avro Shackleton - The Long Serving Growler’ by Jason Nicholas Moore. Published by Fonthill Media, 352 page hardback. Not seen it yet obviously but it looks good.

Hope this helps

Pete

• Like 2

On 7/31/2023 at 9:03 PM, ed-209 said:

I am looking for opinions on books about the shackleton and am considering buying 

There are two that come straight to mind and are still available from their respective publishers although no doubt other retailers have them as well.

Shackleton - Guardian Of The Sea Lanes by Richard A. Franks , published 2005 by Dalrymple & Verdun , 112 pages with background & history , well illustrated in colour/black & white , colour profiles , technical manual drawings , aircraft and unit histories  -  https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/15588/avro-shackleton-guardian-of-the-sea-lanes

Avro Shackleton - Warpaint Series No.6 by Alan W. Hall , originally published in the 1990s but in continuous print from Guideline Publication , 62 pages with background & history  , well illustrated in colour/black & white , colour profiles , aircraft and unit listings , 1/72 plans  -  https://www.guidelinepublications.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=29&PICFILE=29&STKNR=29&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=478353&THISVIEWMODE=2&SUPPLIER=&FINDRETR=&WIDENET=&CATEGORY=4&SUB=2&VWW=1&VANCE=99

There is at least one other quite old hardback with in depth coverage on the subject that I recall having somewhere but I cannot seem to lay my hands on it at the moment.

7 hours ago, petetasker said:

Hello mate

Both of the ‘Shackleton Boys 1 & 2’ by Steve Bond (Grub Street Publishing) are well worth reading - very enjoyable. Theres also a new hardback coming out later this month titled ‘Avro Shackleton - The Long Serving Growler’ by Jason Nicholas Moore. Published by Fonthill Media, 352 page hardback. Not seen it yet obviously but it looks good.

Hope this helps

Pete

I've seen the Shackleton book by Jason Nicholas Moore, and I have to say it's a pretty nice book. It should be available shortly.

Best Regards,

Jason Nicholas Moore

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, Des said:

There is at least one other quite old hardback with in depth coverage on the subject that I recall having somewhere but I cannot seem to lay my hands on it at the moment.

Postwar Military Aircraft: 3 Avro Shackleton by John Chartres (Ian Allan, 1985)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Humm said:

Postwar Military Aircraft: 3 Avro Shackleton by John Chartres (Ian Allan, 1985)?

I have that one & have long thought it is a pretty decent volume but has been superseded by better presented & more up to date volumes. Still worth picking up at a decent price though I'd reckon.

Steve.

13 hours ago, Learstang said:

I've seen the Shackleton book by Jason Nicholas Moore, and I have to say it's a pretty nice book. It should be available shortly.

Best Regards,

Jason Nicholas Moore

Can I ask if publication still on for the end of this month?

'Britain's Maritime Heavyweight- The Shackleton' by Chris Ashworth (1990) is a good development and operational history.

I think it's the book referenced in the first post- not the best modelling reference but excellent if you want a good history of the aircraft.

The Warpaint book as mentioned above is good too, not as comprehensive as some more recent books but definitely value for money.

4 hours ago, petetasker said:

Can I ask if publication still on for the end of this month?

As far as I know it is. I notice that Amazon (UK and USA) now have it on their website, a hopeful sign. Warning: Shameless Self-Promotion Follows! One good thing about my book, from the modellers' viewpoint, is that I give an overview of the Shackleton models that are now available, including my subjective opinions on them (I have built the Revell MR.3 and Airfix MR.2, and have nearly built the Revell AEW.2). I also have some rather nice colour profiles. All in all, a rather smashing book, sure to become a cherished classic! I'm hoping they'll make a musical of it.*

Best Regards,

Jason

*Don't worry. I may not be very serious on this site, but I am very serious when I write my books.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

As far as I know it is. I notice that Amazon (UK and USA) now have it on their website, a hopeful sign. Warning: Shameless Self-Promotion Follows! One good thing about my book, from the modellers' viewpoint, is that I give an overview of the Shackleton models that are now available, including my subjective opinions on them (I have built the Revell MR.3 and Airfix MR.2, and have nearly built the Revell AEW.2). I also have some rather nice colour profiles. All in all, a rather smashing book, sure to become a cherished classic! I'm hoping they'll make a musical of it.*

Best Regards,

Jason

*Don't worry. I may not be very serious on this site, but I am very serious when I write my books.

Have to confess I’d have been surprised if you’d said it was crap! I’ve already pre ordered it and Fonthill are saying 28 Aug.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, petetasker said:

Have to confess I’d have been surprised if you’d said it was crap! I’ve already pre ordered it and Fonthill are saying 28 Aug.

Perish the thought! This is a book of the finest calibre, written with the utmost attention to detail and accuracy (as with all my books, it comes with the '95 percent accurate' guarantee). In all honesty, I did put quite a bit of effort into the book, as the Shackleton has always been a favourite aeroplane of mine, and I did keep the modeller in mind whilst putting it together. Thank you very much for your order, and I do hope that you find it to be of some use!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

On 8/5/2023 at 10:29 PM, Des said:

There are two that come straight to mind and are still available from their respective publishers although no doubt other retailers have them as well.

Shackleton - Guardian Of The Sea Lanes by Richard A. Franks , published 2005 by Dalrymple & Verdun , 112 pages with background & history , well illustrated in colour/black & white , colour profiles , technical manual drawings , aircraft and unit histories  -  https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/15588/avro-shackleton-guardian-of-the-sea-lanes

Avro Shackleton - Warpaint Series No.6 by Alan W. Hall , originally published in the 1990s but in continuous print from Guideline Publication , 62 pages with background & history  , well illustrated in colour/black & white , colour profiles , aircraft and unit listings , 1/72 plans  -  https://www.guidelinepublications.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=29&PICFILE=29&STKNR=29&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=478353&THISVIEWMODE=2&SUPPLIER=&FINDRETR=&WIDENET=&CATEGORY=4&SUB=2&VWW=1&VANCE=99

You may be thinking of the Crowood title by Barry Jones? Surprised no-one seems to have mentioned it yet.

15 hours ago, Learstang said:

Perish the thought! This is a book of the finest calibre, written with the utmost attention to detail and accuracy (as with all my books, it comes with the '95 percent accurate' guarantee). In all honesty, I did put quite a bit of effort into the book, as the Shackleton has always been a favourite aeroplane of mine, and I did keep the modeller in mind whilst putting it together. Thank you very much for your order, and I do hope that you find it to be of some use!

Best Regards,

Jason

We may not by chance look forward to some new, high quality scale drawings in that book? The ones in the Warpaint are somewhat long in the tooth and totally neglect the MR.3 Ss. 3, if I'm not mistaken after all those years.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:42 PM, Learstang said:

Best Regards,

Jason Nicholas Moore

I believe Jason Nicholas Moore recommends it as well, as do Jason N. Moore, J.M. Moore and JM Moore. ;)

(And since that is good enough for me, I just preordered it.)

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tempestfan said:

You may be thinking of the Crowood title by Barry Jones? Surprised no-one seems to have mentioned it yet.

We may not by chance look forward to some new, high quality scale drawings in that book? The ones in the Warpaint are somewhat long in the tooth and totally neglect the MR.3 Ss. 3, if I'm not mistaken after all those years.

There are high-quality, colour profiles in my book. Some are just profiles, whilst there is a three-view for each main variant - MR.1, MR.2, MR.3, and AEW.2. You'll be glad to know that the three-view of the MR.3 is of a MR.3 Phase III. Regarding the Crowood book, that is a very nice book if memory serves me right. Of course, there is an excellent bibliography of books on the Shackleton at the end of my book.

Best Regards,

Jason

2 hours ago, Hook said:

I believe Jason Nicholas Moore recommends it as well, as do Jason N. Moore, J.M. Moore and JM Moore. ;)

(And since that is good enough for me, I just preordered it.)

Cheers,

Andre

You forgot Jason Nicholas M. It comes highly regarded from him.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Thank you very much for the pre-order! I do hope you enjoy it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Learstang said:

There are high-quality, colour profiles in my book. Some are just profiles, whilst there is a three-view for each main variant - MR.1, MR.2, MR.3, and AEW.2. You'll be glad to know that the three-view of the MR.3 is of a MR.3 Phase III. Regarding the Crowood book, that is a very nice book if memory serves me right. Of course, there is an excellent bibliography of books on the Shackleton at the end of my book.

Best Regards,

Jason

Good to hear!

What astonishes me is that J. Nicholas Moore so far has been suspiciously absent with his endorsement.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Good to hear!

What astonishes me is that J. Nicholas Moore so far has been suspiciously absent with his endorsement.

Oh, b****r! I forgot all about him. He loved the book! 'A triumph of the human spirit!', is I believe how he described it.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 3