Ain't no use to hide Ain't no use to run - Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hunter GA.11 - Finished

This arrived on the doormat when I was on holiday and as I feel the need for another FAA aircraft this will be my attempt.

kc9R0p2.jpg

tOPOu4B.jpg

e25D3JV.jpg

uWWAdzI.jpg

lweWYl5.jpg

5j7Np13.jpg

LLbaVH2.jpg

2Mdh8v6.jpg

I've also ordered up the replacement leg set from AeroCraft.

As i'm back at work tomorrow for a fair stint this will be a placeholder.

If I didn't start this thread i would probably end up doing some other shiny thing.

More later,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 13

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking forward to this one Alistair,  got in at ghe bar first too.  Got the 32nd scale Revell kit and Flightpath set for a GA.11 in the stash.

:popcorn:

Chris

Thanks Chris and welcome aboard.

I'll look forward to the Revell one.

I've also got the Airfix F.6 and the AeroCraft conversion kit to build a T.8 at some point in the future.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Hi Alistair,

I'm also pulling a chair for this build. :popcorn:

Down this far in the quarter, I'd be content to get the first release of this aircraft by Airfix. But still, sadly, nobody has imported any kits of the Hunter saga.

The paint scheme for the Royal Navy Hunter looks awesome. I'd love building one of these kits in Chilean markings; most precisely Hunter T.Mk-72 serial J-736.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I've also ordered up the replacement leg set from AeroCraft.

Clever move, Ali, as the very little I've seen of this kit so far has proven that the main landing gear legs are terribly fragile.

Cheers,

Igna 

• Thanks 1

Alistair,

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I do love a Hunter.

And I'd love to see the AeroCraft conversion being done......

Just a thought!!

Have fun with this one meantime.

Q

When i built my F4 I got this conversion but I did not use it in the end, i didn't like the idea of chopping up the upper wing moulding as I deduced it would compromise the strength of the one piece upper wings assembly, and cause problems with setting the correct angle of the upper wing. It would also would involve lots of filling of gaps.

it was really simple in the end to use basic modelling skills to fill the F6 inlets as required , and cut and  drill new ones in the correct places, in fact the AeroCraft  bit gave me a good template! I was really happy with the result. 

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pajarito said:

Hi Alistair,

I'm also pulling a chair for this build. :popcorn:

Down this far in the quarter, I'd be content to get the first release of this aircraft by Airfix. But still, sadly, nobody has imported any kits of the Hunter saga.

The paint scheme for the Royal Navy Hunter looks awesome. I'd love building one of these kits in Chilean markings; most precisely Hunter T.Mk-72 serial J-736.

spacer.png

Clever move, Ali, as the very little I've seen of this kit so far has proven that the main landing gear legs are terribly fragile.

Cheers,

Igna 

Thanks Igna,

The Chilean scheme looks fun too.

Then again a hunter does look good in anything.

19 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I do love a Hunter.

And I'd love to see the AeroCraft conversion being done......

Just a thought!!

Have fun with this one meantime.

Q

Thanks Q,

This one will be a prep build for the T.8 which will happen in the near future.

18 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

No doubt it will be an adventure. :fight:

9 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

I'm in, looking forward to this one 👍

Thanks WP.

It'll be my usual story of stuff ups and fun.

7 hours ago, Selwyn said:

When i built my F4 I got this conversion but I did not use it in the end, i didn't like the idea of chopping up the upper wing moulding as I deduced it would compromise the strength of the one piece upper wings assembly, and cause problems with setting the correct angle of the upper wing. It would also would involve lots of filling of gaps.

it was really simple in the end to use basic modelling skills to fill the F6 inlets as required , and cut and  drill new ones in the correct places, in fact the AeroCraft  bit gave me a good template! I was really happy with the result. 

Selwyn

Thanks for the info Selwyn,

That will be useful.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

FAA you say ???

Here I'm now...

Permission to board the ship asked....

Cannot promise that I'll behave....:cheers::cheers:

Landing gear legs issue ?? Mmmh, I also have an Airfix Hunter....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/07/2023 at 17:54, Gondor44 said:

Pulls up a seat and warms the tea pot.

Gondor

Welcome Aboard.

22 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

FAA you say ???

Here I'm now...

Permission to board the ship asked....

Cannot promise that I'll behave....:cheers::cheers:

Landing gear legs issue ?? Mmmh, I also have an Airfix Hunter....

Sincerely.

CC

Permission to come aboard gratefully given.

No naughty step or corner here.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Hi Ali,

as a complete aside to this build, last months FlyPast magazine ran a story of Bruntingthorp, and that it is still alive just in a different form. I miss the event and in the case of this model build it would be a very welcome morale raiser for me so see the Hunter GA.11 up and running, cartridge start A/C are always a sight to see - big plumes of black exhaust gases being ejected at startup.
I was thumbing through my Hunter reference material and was surprised as to how many variations of of aerial’s and lumps and dumps around the nose, new to me is the information that GA.11’s don’t carry the cannons and thus don’t need the gun trough’s. My own lack of knowledge is as thus: gun troughs faired over or eliminated all together? Airfix instructions indicate elimination via filler, but, I’m sure I’ve seen either via photo or line drawing the gun troughs being filled via a plate and that as a modeller we should keep the panel lines surrounding the gun troughs. I’m away on holiday, so I can’t use my own reference material, but if anyone wants to discuss…….. 😉

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hi Ali,

as a complete aside to this build, last months FlyPast magazine ran a story of Bruntingthorp, and that it is still alive just in a different form. I miss the event and in the case of this model build it would be a very welcome morale raiser for me so see the Hunter GA.11 up and running, cartridge start A/C are always a sight to see - big plumes of black exhaust gases being ejected at startup.
I was thumbing through my Hunter reference material and was surprised as to how many variations of of aerial’s and lumps and dumps around the nose, new to me is the information that GA.11’s don’t carry the cannons and thus don’t need the gun trough’s. My own lack of knowledge is as thus: gun troughs faired over or eliminated all together? Airfix instructions indicate elimination via filler, but, I’m sure I’ve seen either via photo or line drawing the gun troughs being filled via a plate and that as a modeller we should keep the panel lines surrounding the gun troughs. I’m away on holiday, so I can’t use my own reference material, but if anyone wants to discuss…….. 😉

Thanks Amos,

I think I've also seen at least one photo of them with a plate, but would welcome any advice/suggestions from the Britmodeller Massif.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Alistair,

Mmmm - brass! Those legs look like worthy replacements,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 2:10 PM, AliGauld said:

I think I've also seen at least one photo of them with a plate, but would welcome any advice/suggestions from...

The gun troughs were plated over.

Great to see a GA.11 build on the go!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant,  looking forward to the start Alistair,  the undercarriage set looks very nice.

Chris

It does indeed.

12 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Mmmm - brass! Those legs look like worthy replacements,

Cheers,

Roger

Not only do they look good but the nose leg has both links to the door and the nose wheel is right.

31 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The gun troughs were plated over.

Great to see a GA.11 build on the go!

Thanks very much for the info.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Indeed they will.

Many thanks for these.

Cheers,

Alistair

Note also the difference in the small bulge just ahead of where the sabrinas were fitted - missing on the first photo snd present on the second (just behind the lower support on the ladder). Airfix don’t mention whether to keep or remove this, so check your references.

Peter

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dambuster said:

Note also the difference in the small bulge just ahead of where the sabrinas were fitted - missing on the first photo snd present on the second (just behind the lower support on the ladder). Airfix don’t mention whether to keep or remove this, so check your references.

Peter

Thanks very much for that.

I'll be sure to take a look at some pics.

Cheers,

Alistair

Plastic was cut yesterday and on getting up today I sprayed some paint followed by some delicate brush work.

uFt3xnF.jpg

aRa72OB.jpg

4yZxJ0m.jpg

That will get an oil wash once it's all dry.

The IP was stickered.

ub7QIgy.jpg

That has been hit with softener and will get some dots of gloss in the dials once it dries.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7