They're closing down the old dance hall - Brewster B-339 Buffalo - Finished Finally

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Very nice! I like the contrast between your scheme and Roger's too.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

It surprised me how light the Khaki looks beside the Olive Drab.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

Great work Alistair.  I like the camo scheme too, it’s very striking.

Thanks Mark,

I'm not certain about it yet.

Hoping once all the stickers are on and there's a little weathering done it will be ok.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Mark,

I'm not certain about it yet.

Hoping once all the stickers are on and there's a little weathering done it will be ok.

Cheers,

Alistair

A bit late to the  game but here is a very usefully link with the correct colors 😉

https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php/nl/vliegtuigen-lijst/vliegtuigen-b/387-brewster-b339-buffalo?start=4

cheers, Jan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I'm on a shift change today I thought I'd get a little done before the Night Shift.

I was just going to use all the stickers but as i had a bit of time decided to mask off and paint the tail band and wing walkways.

2knjJi4.jpg

rBZBR2x.jpg

Then a bit of paint.

x6Rsf6h.jpg

92UGO7c.jpg

Out to Tesco's and on my return it was unmasked.

5ZZk35e.jpg

CoYCbrx.jpg

Well, I appear to have had some paint lift.

EyDtwP5.jpg

RNvAq0M.jpg

I'll need to let that settle and have a thunk aboot it.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

A frustrating few hours spent pondering this.

More spraying more paint lift.

I've come to the conclusion that Tamiya Paints don't like sitting on top of their Flat Aluminium.

Anyway this is what we have now.

PCmFQrs.jpg

2IpbpQW.jpg

There are still one or two touch ups required but I'll deal with them tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

How annoying (and surprising with Tamiya paint). Looks good now, at least.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I can only think that it's the aluminium underneath that's causing the issue as I've never had Tamiya lift so much before and very rarely since I've started using Mr. Rapid Thinner.

The tape was well de-tacked before placement.

19 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

,Good save.

John

Thanks very much John.

17 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey, that paint issue is annoying,  nice recovery though Alistair and looking good.

Chris

It was a bit frustrating as i'd think I'd sorted it only for more to appear.

Still, it's done now and I've just finished the touch ups.

I'll get a clear coat on as soon as I can to protect it all, but might just do a little chipping first.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

sorry to read of your paint woes - that's certainly an odd outcome, and particularly given that its Tamiya over Tamiya. I can't offer any constructive suggestions, I'm afraid, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted out in next to no time :) The ML-KNIL camo is looking very nice indeed and and the orange triangles will set it of a treat!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Alistair,

sorry to read of your paint woes - that's certainly an odd outcome, and particularly given that its Tamiya over Tamiya. I can't offer any constructive suggestions, I'm afraid, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted out in next to no time :) The ML-KNIL camo is looking very nice indeed and and the orange triangles will set it of a treat!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It may take a little longer than I planned to get the stickers on.

I had dropped the Infinity yesterday during a white spray but thought i'd gotten away with it.

However, I was cleaning it afterwards and found that there was a small chunk out of the nozzle tip and a slight bend on the needle tip.

The needle is now fixed thanks to my Sharpen Air tool but I'm awaiting a new nozzle winging it's way from Martin at Air-Craft.net.

I've just received the despatch email and based on previous orders this will arrive tomorrow.

Meanwhile a little light chipping.

cQkZEgI.jpg

Ivatz0B.jpg

Y5MRoBn.jpg

UZw6y4w.jpg

And I decided it was time to get this on it's feet.

QWMqEtx.jpg

liL96o6.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 13

Good save Alistair. That kind of thing often knocks the wind out of a build for me, so well done getting it fixed. Interesting about the Tamiya not sitting on its flat Aluminium (I assume XF16?); I'll file that one for later avoidance. I tend to use lacquers as a base coat to chip down to, and haven't yet had any issues with tamiya XFs on top of their lacquer version LP-38, or indeed when there's some chipping solution and/or aquagloss between them. The chipping looks nice. Did you use a chipping solution?

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I had dropped the Infinity yesterday

Oh, man, that's maddening, and all the more so with the damage to the nozzle :( 

25 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

The needle is now fixed thanks to my Sharpen Air tool but I'm awaiting a new nozzle winging it's way from Martin at Air-Craft.net.

I've just received the despatch email and based on previous orders this will arrive tomorrow.

That's good news, though:phew: The Sharpen Air sounds like a useful gadget (I've got a bent one, too - airbrush needle, that is). Fingers crossed it'll be back in action tomorrow!

In the meantime, the chipping is looking very good, understated and convincing.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Good save Alistair. That kind of thing often knocks the wind out of a build for me, so well done getting it fixed. Interesting about the Tamiya not sitting on its flat Aluminium (I assume XF16?); I'll file that one for later avoidance. I tend to use lacquers as a base coat to chip down to, and haven't yet had any issues with tamiya XFs on top of their lacquer version LP-38, or indeed when there's some chipping solution and/or aquagloss between them. The chipping looks nice. Did you use a chipping solution?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Yes it was XF-16.

It certainly caught me by surprise but there is always the possibility that it was something I did. :blush:

The chipping was just done with some Vallejo Model Air Steel on a bit of torn sponge packing.

That was dabbed off on a bit of kitchen roll until it's nearly clean then lightly applied held in a pair of locking tweezers.

I just wanted something light and subtle which will show up against the oil filter when that goes on.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Thanks very much Mark.

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Sharpen Air sounds like a useful gadget

It's saved me on more than one occasion and I got it cheap as it is the Lime Green coloured one that nobody wanted to order.

3 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

(I've got a bent one, too - airbrush needle, that is).

:rofl2: Fnar fnar.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

It is the ability to recover from mistakes that demonstrates true craftsmanship Alistair.  Nicely demonstrated.

We’re closing in on synchronised finishes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Alistair,

I've missed a couple of updates on this - my apologies! It seems as if paint woes are the norm on this IGB but you have recovered the situation nicely. Look forward to seeing markings in place,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

It is the ability to recover from mistakes that demonstrates true craftsmanship Alistair.  Nicely demonstrated.

We’re closing in on synchronised finishes. 

Thanks Mark,

At least I've not given it a test flight....... yet. :blush:

12 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

I've missed a couple of updates on this - my apologies! It seems as if paint woes are the norm on this IGB but you have recovered the situation nicely. Look forward to seeing markings in place,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I'm hoping to get at least some on today before work.

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice save on the paint and Airbrush too Alistair,  paint and chipping looks good fella.

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The paint was just frustrating but I hope I got somewhere close in the end.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Stickers applied.

U4GHaxf.jpg

mQFxyrX.jpg

DU7n7g7.jpg

VbX68X1.jpg

The numbers on the wing leading edge are going to require some work but I've hit them all with Mr. Mark Softer and should manage to get another application on before work.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Excellent progress, Alistair - looking very good with the markings on!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Should be a bit better when I get them settled in properly.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, AliGauld said:

Well, I appear to have had some paint lift.

Great save, Alistair - it’s looking mighty fine.  Excellent little GB this!

I’ve had some paint lift of colourcoats off of alclad alumnium/Mig chipping fluid, but thankfully not to the extent you suffered it.  Your equitability and ability to refocus is impressive!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1