Auto Union Typ C, German GP '36, Revisited

I started with a front wheel earlier in the week. It’s important to keep track of the parts as they are different front to rear. There are index tabs to align the parts correctly in the jig. With the hub and the outer rim in the jig I started playing with a spoke and a nipple (just a thin sleeve pipe) to get a feel and think of a method. It felt a bit awkward, somewhat weak and less precise at first. I decided to do the round of bottom layer spokes first, tacking them with a tiny amount of CA in the hole in hub, and then apply the nipples from outside, again tacking them with CA, from outside, then go around the outside again with a full CA bead on each spoke.

AUC223.jpg

After completing the first round it felt a lot better. Some hope emerged.

AUC224.jpg

With the second round done I felt some real confidence.

AUC225.jpg

Round three soon followed.

AUC226.jpg

Round four completes the work. It looked good in the jig, but would it separate and hold up?

AUC227.jpg

It was only slightly stuck in the jig by tiny amounts of CA, but very easily twisted loose. And when loose it felt really strong. Just like the real world; a spoke or three is nothing but when they are all in place the whole thing is very solid. It now looks like a very well machined and assembled model kit wheel, but I hope some paint and weathering will move the look a bit further.

AUC228.jpg

Today in the late afternoon I made the second front wheel in less than two hours, including a work call interrupting things. And the first rear wheel is started.

AUC229.jpg

• Like 14

Stunning, absolutely stunning.This kit never ceases to surprise me and the quality of the building work matches it.  Incredible job.

• Like 1

Soon after the first rounds the spokes went in place smoothly and this afternoon the last rear wheel was finished, 224 spokes with nipples done.

AUC230.jpg

AUC231.jpg

AUC232.jpg

I have just sprayed a coat of etching primer and now with some paint, even just primer, the slight artificial look of the finished wheels are broken. Tomorrow I will spray them with the same silver I will use as the base on the body and see where that takes them.

AUC233.jpg

• Like 13

Jorgen, this is amongst the best modelling i've ever seen my friend, utterly stunning,

I wish my father was still with us as he was a huge fan of the Auto Union GP Cars.

Edited by rob
  • Thanks 1

These spoke rims are fantastic. But even inside MFH Factory, and other kit suppliers, I'm sorry,

the perfect world don't exist! They can't do this:

23051308474221392418176241.png

23051308474221392418176243.jpg

23051308474221392418176244.jpg

Some years ago I did two (fortunately it's for a 1/8 Hasegawa WWI plane, the SE5 A) with this detail, rims are not turned but stamped...

A nightmare, almost not visible after painting, mainly on a picture!

23051308582821392418176246.jpg

Dan.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Incredible result 👍

Thank you very much!

17 hours ago, rob said:

Jorgen, this is amongst the best modelling i've ever seen my friend, utterly stunning,

I wish my father was still with us as he was a huge fan of the Auto Union GP Cars.

Thanks a lot for the kind praise! I'm sorry your father are no longer here, it would have been nice to have him enjoy it.

9 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

These spoke rims are fantastic. But even inside MFH Factory, and other kit suppliers, I'm sorry,

the perfect world don't exist! They can't do this:

Some years ago I did two (fortunately it's for a 1/8 Hasegawa WWI plane, the SE5 A) with this detail, rims are not turned but stamped...

A nightmare, almost not visible after painting, mainly on a picture!

Dan.

Indeed the MFH wheels are very much a compromise in the finest detail, not only the missing nipple pressings in the outer rim, but also the nipples being only plain round sleeves and the spokes not being bent where they join the hub. The last I thought about adding myself but bowed out in the end. With some weathering I hope to get away as is. B)

Lovely SE5 wheels, great work! 👍

• Like 2

The wheels have been airbrushed with Tamiya Silver Leaf and will be left at least over night before going further. The wheel nuts where first sprayed Alclad Aluminium, then masked and sprayed Alclad Steel with a tiny drop of Hu 133 Satin Brown mixed in.

AUC234.jpg

With a black wash in the cast text and in the joint between the cap and wings, and some silver dry brushing of the wing edges I think the nuts might be done.

AUC235.jpg

The tyres first had the casting tabs trimmed off and the mould line sanded.

AUC236.jpg

With no access to a 1/12 scale Nurburgring (here is where I again miss the special characters not readily available in Linux) I have to run the Grand Prix in my Emcomat 7. It can be done with a power drill, but I like the excuse to use the lathe a little, something I should really do more.

AUC237.jpg

Spinning at 1400 rpm and using stiff 120 grit sanding paper the work is slowly done. No I didn’t try to handle the camera while working in the lathe...

AUC238.jpg

AUC239.jpg

With the thread wear done the side walls got a light work over with a Mirka Mirlon pad while spinning.

AUC240.jpg

After an hour the tyres looked like this.

AUC241.jpg

And after a good tooth brush scrub under water we have this. Much more to my taste, but still need a little more work I think. Maybe a light smear with the Mirlon pad again and only dry cleaning, or some smearing with ash from the fire place, we’ll see. Resin tyres would have been nice, but rarely do we car modellers get that luxury...

AUC242.jpg

• Like 14

22 minutes ago, PROPELLER said:

EMCO, a very good fellow... for any job!

Touch of reality with these tires, again, well done.

Dan.

Thanks a lot Dan!

The Emco really is! It's a good quality feeling handling the parts of it and hearing the sounds of it working. My father taught me doing some work in this very machine not very long after he bought it new in the early 70's when I was a little boy. I've done a lot of work in it since and now it's part of my workshop.

14 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

I think the nuts might be done.

I think you're right to think that, they look superb - as do the wheels and those worn and scuffed tyres - brilliant work again Jörgen!

15 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

some smearing with ash from the fire place

That's a new one to me, not heard of that before - sounds intriguing!

15 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Resin tyres would have been nice, but rarely do we car modellers get that luxury...

Something I've long wished for too.....

Lovely update again :)

Keith

• Like 2

On 14/05/2023 at 09:26, keefr22 said:

Something I've long wished for too.....

Lovely update again :)

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith!

Sadly we seem to be in a minority as the soft tyres continue to dominate.

22 hours ago, Toftdale said:

What Keith said, thanks for sharing - Andy 

Many thanks Andy, glad you like!

• Like 1

Well, I try the ashes again. I suppose it’s similar to using some sort of pigments. I picked up the idea from someone, possibly here on BM, I can’t remember who, but he used his ashtray. I don’t run an ashtray myself, but I do burn a lot of wood...

AUC243.jpg

I dip my finger tip in some of the fine powder and smear it around the side wall, brush of any excess with a stiff brush then wipe it with a cloth, and go another round if desired.

AUC244.jpg

Right now I have this, I’ll dwell on that.

AUC245.jpg

The wheels have got a first basic black wash around all the spoke and nipple joints. The air valves were fitted and then I added the balancing weights from 0,4 mm lead wire. As a modeller I can cheat and balance the wheels before the tyres are fitted...

AUC246.jpg

• Like 13

Today I gave the wheels a more neutral dirt wash in all the edges. On silver colour it’s a little less visible in photos that in reality.

AUC247.jpg

And the tyres are fitted to the wheels. Now awaits the first test of properly fitted wheels to the completed chassis...

AUC248.jpg

• Like 10