Auto Union Typ C, German GP '36, Revisited

19 hours ago, klubman01 said:

All that detail, just to be hidden from view.  Fabulous!

Trevor

19 hours ago, JeroenS said:

What an amazing detail... That looks really good, crikey!

5 hours ago, Neddy said:

Agreed with the above, that engine's a work of art in itself.  It's almost a shame to hide it away inside the car!  Amazing work.

Thanks a lot gentlemen, glad you like! At least the engine cover will be removable.

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

And some years later working with Warburg's. 🤣

1 hour ago, Neddy said:

I must be careful to read the posts correctly, I thought for one ludicrous moment you said "Wartburgs".  :giggle:

Ah yes, but I'm hopefully one of those who will luckily escape to the west in the messy weeks, so it could be BMW or Audi with a little luck 😎

• Like 2

The air filter is assembled. I had to make a simple tool to press the four narrow photo etched mesh parts to the correct curvature.

AUC85.jpg

Then the large carburettor with throttle linkage is built up and the air filter fitted.

AUC86.jpg

AUC87.jpg

At last the whole assembly could be mounted to the compressor and the fuel line connected.

AUC88.jpg

AUC89.jpg

AUC90.jpg

• Like 15

The next major parts to fit was to be the water pipes from the cylinder heads, but to make sure the completed installation would line up with the hole in the firewall I really need the engine sitting correctly in the frame. This has become more critical as I modified the pipe assembly from two to three separate parts. So the gearbox had to join the engine first.

AUC91.jpg

AUC92.jpg

AUC93.jpg

Then I cleaned up the relevant places of the frame and firewall mouldings. The engine assembly is a screw fit in the frame, so the screw holes were drilled open and tiny adjustments were made to the mounting points in the frame to let the engine drop in place as intended. Really very little adjustments were needed.

AUC94.jpg

Here we are with the engine assembly tightened to the frame and the firewall inserted to its locating points. Next I must rehearse the fitting procedure of the water pipes, before committing to glue.

AUC95.jpg

AUC96.jpg

• Like 14

On 20/02/2023 at 21:57, Spiny said:

It's almost a shame abut the modelling bench background as those first 3 pictures show just how realistic that engine is looking.

On 21/02/2023 at 10:37, Neddy said:

Agreed!  It's almost a shame to cover up that clutch mechanism too.  This build is amazing to watch.

Thanks a lot gentlemen! The engine could perhaps deserve a display on it's own.

• Like 1

Beautiful work as ever.  It astounds me, that the engineers who designed this car used such ingenuity and cutting edge ideas for the day with regards the engine and gearbox design and placement,  would then use such a basic chassis - Andy 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Beautiful work as ever.  It astounds me, that the engineers who designed this car used such ingenuity and cutting edge ideas for the day with regards the engine and gearbox design and placement,  would then use such a basic chassis - Andy 

Thanks a lot Andy!

I tend to agree with you, but when I think of it this chassis and suspension might actually be regarded as relatively high development back in those days. The very similar type A appeared in 1934 when many racing cars where still built with live axles and mechanical brakes.

• Like 2

With the epoxy fully cured the water pipes could be finished off with hose clamps and the air bleeder nipple.

AUC98.jpg

AUC99.jpg

Next was the exhaust pipes. I felt it would be a good idea to do some basic dry fitting to ensure that they will line up with the bodywork later on. So the basic parts were cleaned up where needed and the underbody fitted to the frame.

AUC100.jpg

The tail section with the rear wall and the main body section seems to be OK with the carburettor and air filter.

AUC101.jpg

After some more checking I glued the exhaust sections. I used CA and only carefully applied in the holes for the mounting pegs. The plan is that this will still leave a little flex for some last small bending adjustments when final assembly comes.

AUC102.jpg

The body panels were then taped back in place. There will be a lot of fine adjusting of the parts needed later, but there is good hope it will work out.

AUC103.jpg

AUC104.jpg

AUC105.jpg

The engine and gearbox assembly is done. It’s time to start seriously on the next steps.

AUC106.jpg

AUC107.jpg

AUC108.jpg

AUC109.jpg

• Like 16

16 hours ago, klubman01 said:

The engine and gearbox are a complete model in themselves.  Fabulous work, well done.  Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

Trevor

Thanks a lot Trevor!

Indeed they could release the engine as a separate kit really.

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Impressive. And it's possible all engineering that was done in real car. 

Thank you very much Vesa!

It does give a pretty good feeling for the real thing working on this I think.

1 hour ago, Mpfiend said:

Jörgen, that is a stunning piece of work so far.

I have really enjoyed seeing it come together.

Do the MFH parts require a lot of cleaning up before they can be used?

Regards

Keith

Many thanks Keith!

For a white metal & resin kit the parts are pretty clean and nice, definitely in the very top range for this type of kit. That said all parts do need work with removing fine mould lines, minor adjustments, drilling out all holes, test fitting etc. Not very much filling so far though. It does take time and work. So I'd say that compared to other resin/metal/pe kits they are very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Many thanks Keith!

For a white metal & resin kit the parts are pretty clean and nice, definitely in the very top range for this type of kit. That said all parts do need work with removing fine mould lines, minor adjustments, drilling out all holes, test fitting etc. Not very much filling so far though. It does take time and work. So I'd say that compared to other resin/metal/pe kits they are very nice.

Thank you for the reply Jörgen, there is a couple of MFH kits I am interested in adding to my collection, your comments will make an easier decision.

Best Regards

Keith

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There has been frustratingly little progress – read none – over the last few weeks as life and work intervenes, again… There isn’t much to show today either, but I sat down and planned ahead a little. With the engine and gearbox done the next major step is the frame with suspension, fuel tank and cockpit floor with details.

AUC110.jpg

AUC111.jpg

First the frame. I have already prepared the fit of the engine, but I didn’t look forward to cleaning up the rest of the part as it’s a rather large piece with a lot of details across the mould separation lines, but here it’s done after an hour or two. Now there are a number of holes to be drilled out and much test fitting and adjustments to be done to make sure all parts to be attached later on will fit well.

AUC112.jpg

• Like 11

Always frustrating when you get to a fiddly bit like that, but I can almost guarantee that when it comes to fitting bits to the frame you won't regret it at all. It's doing the prep work like this which helps your models to end up looking so good.

• Thanks 1

On 26/03/2023 at 21:54, Spiny said:

Always frustrating when you get to a fiddly bit like that, but I can almost guarantee that when it comes to fitting bits to the frame you won't regret it at all. It's doing the prep work like this which helps your models to end up looking so good.

Thanks for the kind words. You are absolutely right, preparation and test fitting is the foundation for later (hopefully) rewards. Most vital with a resin/metal kit, but always very worthwhile.

Not much to show, but slowly the first white metal parts for this step of the build are prepared. Here we have parts for the torsion bar rear suspension.

AUC113.jpg

Floor parts, pedals, master brake cylinders and gear lever parts. The parts glued to the frame will need a little bit of filling and sanding in some spots of the joints.

AUC114.jpg

• Like 11

To fully enjoy these kits it is necessary to somewhere appreciate the work of cleaning up all the cast parts, drilling holes, test fitting and tweaking. Most of the front suspension and steering parts finished.

AUC115.jpg

The friction damper discs where assembled before painting. As each friction disc is already moulded together with a steel disc there would have been some fiddly detail painting anyway.

AUC116.jpg

Uprights, brakes and more rear suspension parts after initial preparation. A few bits of photo etch involved as well. The rubber boots for the rear axle tubes are nicely moulded in a tool avoiding all visible mould lines

AUC117.jpg

More parts assembled prior to painting, here done to avoid visible joint lines where there should be none.

AUC118.jpg

Test fitting brake cylinders and shoes.

AUC119.jpg

Each finned brake drum is made up from five white metal discs. It may seem overly complicated, but just like the compressor housing earlier, I think it will prove to b a clever move in the end. No dreaded mould line mismatching across them to deal with.

AUC120.jpg

• Like 9

Cleaned up, sorted, test fitted and ready for glue.

AUC121.jpg

The inside of the drums has pegs that are meant to fit against the brake backing plates. I don’t see much point in that as it won’t take up any real load, just force all drums to be fitted at exactly the same angle when it comes to the detail patterns, for what it’s worth… I decided to remove that feature to create a smooth inner surface, that won’t be seen… It will make the glue joints between the discs weaker, but I take that chance.

AUC122.jpg

Four finished brake drums, more to my liking.

AUC123.jpg

Test fitting with the wheel hubs, just to be sure.

AUC124.jpg

• Like 13

Wow.  Just......wow.  That's a unique way of producing finned brake drums avoiding moulding lines and mismatches!  Great result though.

• Thanks 1