Harrier GR5 colours puzzle

perdu

Hi, I wonder if someone can help me with the paint colours for this model?

16708560174768212094001508196219.jpg

When I bought it there were decent decals in the box but no instructions, these were found online but the writing is infinitesimally small and are illegible but seem to point at the green based scheme.

Can anyone advise me which scheme applies to it, the box shows greys but writings online talk about Lichen Green and Dark NATO Green.

I have retired cowed from the web and hope youse guys can give me a push in the right direction for it?

Please

Andy Evans in MDF 17 states NATO Infrared-reducing green BSC 381C:285 over Medium Green BS4800.12B.25, but I am quite sure this is the same colour that was called "Lichen Green" way back when the first GR.5 kits appeared. --- This question made me look up "lichen" as in fact I never bothered to know - learn something new everyday, even at progressed age 🙂

• Like 1

I converted a 1/72 Airfix Gr.7 a while back and I used a 50:50 mix of Vallejo Reflective green & Pastel green (70890 & 70385) for the underside Lichen colour.

NUU9MAu.jpg?1

Whilst for the top colour I went with Tamiya XF-67 NATO Green. I think it turned out OK.

EFaNeSl.jpg

Hope this helps and good luck with your build.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Hataka make the correct coloursHTK-A215 BS NATO (IRR) Green and HTK-A216 BS Lichen Green and can be found as singles or in theModern Royal Air Force Paint set Vol 1

Thanks for that, I am making that my Christmas pressie request to the management as I understand that earlier problems with Hakata paints have been resolved. 

Never tried them and there is always tomorrow. 

Thank you all for the assistance, some very lovely models there.

Cheers and have a great Christmas.

22 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Xtracolour actually produced a Lichen Green - my RAF Osprey was painted using it.  Maybe they still do?  I wouldn't describe it as being close to Light Slate Grey, though, more a medium green. 

I said acceptable, looks the part on the model,  and the online swaths are pretty close, I’ll post a pic of the model when. I can  6a6b5b.svg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVUaXPOFZZy7piwHDmA1U

2-AA4-D26-B-466-F-4-C87-B385-DE853-B4-D09528-D87-F-3671-4127-BDAC-EBB2-D3-A93727

ZD352 1sq 01 KLSV 19910504 05cr

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Thanks 1

I recall from memory using the Xtracrylix paints for a Gr.7 in this scheme many years ago, it didn't look far out at all but I might give the Hataka a go if/when I eventually find a Gr.5 in 1/48 scale... 

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Thanks for that, I am making that my Christmas pressie request to the management as I understand that earlier problems with Hakata paints have been resolved. 

Never tried them and there is always tomorrow. 

Thank you all for the assistance, some very lovely models there.

Cheers and have a great Christmas.

Problems with Hataka?
I had problems when they first released them but that was more down to how I was using them...
I believe there were also some problems with bottle tops not closing but then you just send it back for a replacement.

They are some great airbrush paints, I used them on a Hercules, and fully intend on using them on my Hasegawa Gr5

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I was referring to the  early paints as I remember reading about people having trouble with them, not heard anything off-putting for a long time now.

And happily the Management agreed with buying me the set for Chrimble, happy me. 👍

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Thanks, I was referring to the  early paints as I remember reading about people having trouble with them, not heard anything off-putting for a long time now.

And happily the Management agreed with buying me the set for Chrimble, happy me. 👍

Yeah I was one, I had a look at them quite early on in thier life and had a problem, but that was quickly fixed to be honest once I got used to using them and now I quite like them. No real different to Vallejo Model Air.

A couple of random thoughts.

When the green/green Harriers first appeared with the underside colour unlike anything seen before, the story went around that it had been purchased at the local DIY store.

A little earlier there was (were) a Harrier GR3 (maybe a couple in RAFG) that trialled a Dark Sea Grey uppersides and MSG underside; one appeared at a Finningly BoB show. Somewhere I have the idea there was also a GR3 in the two greens scheme but could be wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainpeden said:

When the green/green Harriers first appeared with the underside colour unlike anything seen before, the story went around that it had been purchased at the local DIY store.

A little earlier there was (were) a Harrier GR3 (maybe a couple in RAFG) that trialled a Dark Sea Grey uppersides and MSG underside; one appeared at a Finningly BoB show. Somewhere I have the idea there was also a GR3 in the two greens scheme but could be wrong.

You are not wrong, two GR.3s were indeed used for camouflage trials in 1984: XV738 of 4 Sqn. wore the two-grey scheme while XV809 of 3 Sqn. wore the two-green scheme. This was later approved for use on all new GR.5s.

Here's a picture of XV809 in the scheme, although by then she had received a replacement rudder in the standard camouflage

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/85300/M/UK-Air-Force/Hawker-Siddeley-Harrier-GR3/XV809/

Just to add something different, here's XV738 in the two-grey trial scheme:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8452874

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

Xtradecal did a sheet including the double green Gr3.
I remember the two tone grey Gr3 doing the rounds in the early 80s. I thought it was later than '84 myself by memories are a strange thing. 

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

I think you'll find that BAE didn't pop down to Homebase Dunsfold to get thousands of cans of Dulux to paint the aircraft........... imagine painting a non aerospace tested and approved paint on a multi-£10's of millions aircraft and invalidate any military certification or release to service. I'm not sure any Engineer would have approved that!

I recall seeing 4 Squadron on exercise at RAF Leeming in 1984 with a GR3 in the 2-tone grey camouflage scheme.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Xtradecal did a sheet including the double green Gr3.
I remember the two tone grey Gr3 doing the rounds in the early 80s. I thought it was later than '84 myself by memories are a strange thing. 

I am sure that Modeldecal did both on one of their sheets. Whether it can be found now I don not know.

56 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I am sure that Modeldecal did both on one of their sheets. Whether it can be found now I don not know.

Sheet 78, where they included the individual markings and a set of stencils. Most of the sheet was dedicated to Lightnings