1/48 - North American P-51B/C Mustang by Eduard - P-51B released

Homebee

Certainly some exciting kits being released (well for me anyway). I have been looking forward to this possible Eduard release for some time. 

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - North American P-51B/C Mustang by Eduard -3D renders+sprues design - release in 2024
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - North American P-51B/C Mustang by Eduard -3D renders+sprues lay out - release in 2024
  • 2 months later...

In progress

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/pfbid0Nj24CeaY54b3Q2uf8ab3HDcgENi1xGiFCGHr6szjKtx6wGXKZ5XbXUzbe5DTPVsNl

Our colleague Stanislav Archman aka “Stan” with one of our projects in the pipeline for 2024. What is your favorite aircraft, and why is it the P-51 Mustang B and C versions?

414479992-898744618712974-13081798961297

414447300-898744598712976-62861619665505

414466868-898744542046315-87224220785179

V.P.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - North American P-51B/C Mustang by Eduard -3D renders+sprues lay out - release in March-April 2024
6 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

So now they ARE doing 'duals' again? 🥴

I thought that they were going single kit with 10 or more decal options route?

If the subject has two or more versions, then it will be released as a Dual Combo. In this case the box will have a P-51B and a P-51C with attendant marking variations for the 8th Air Force. When they released the Bf-109K-4 there's only one version of that machine so you get 10 markings and one set of sprues. This applies to the FM-1 also.

I may hold off getting the P-51B/C 8th Air Force Dual Combo and see what comes out later . . . I'd like to see some C.B.I P-51B/Cs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 10:16 PM, whiskey said:

I guess I'll be holding off on purchasing anymore Tamiya kits in that case.

Not me. The Tami kit is fine enough for me. Simple, easy build that looks good when finished.

20230131_124413

I'm just not a fan of these newer over complicated kits with millions of ridiculously oversized rivets to fill.

Luckily for me these new uber kits drive down the prices on the decent second hand earlier kits. Unfortunately for me there's types of significant aircraft that I want that still haven't been properly kitted. That leaves me to deal with the rivets and necessarily fiddly parts of these new kits. 

Sorry to be a kill joy, but I need to voice my opinion if there's any hope of firing the mad riveter and simplifying kits. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The Tamiya kit looks nice. But to be fair, the research of new tool kits from some better manufacturers is superior than Tamiya some 30 years ago/in the 90s. The Tamiya B/C kit has noticeable shape issues, the rear fuselage is too wide, that has effect on the cross section of the canopy(noticeably on framed version) and spine/rear fuselage, the top of those is not as sharp as the real thing as a result. Look at the renders from Eduard, those areas look very good, I'm sure shape wise it will be a improvement.

In this case Eduard did leave out the rivets on the wing,

Edited by delide
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, delide said:

The Tamiya kit looks nice. But to be fair, the research of new tool kits from some better manufacturers is superior than Tamiya some 30 years ago/in the 90s. The Tamiya B/C kit has noticeable shape issues, the rear fuselage is too wide, that has effect on the cross section of the canopy(noticeably on framed version) and spine/rear fuselage, the top of those is not as sharp as the real thing as a result. Look at the renders from Eduard, those areas look very good, I'm sure shape wise it will be a improvement.

You're right. the Tamiya kit has a lot of shape issues. The wheel well is very simple and incomplete. The guns ports are incorrect. It's a very simplified kit. The only other competitor is the ex-Accurate Miniatures kit which also has some glaring flaws. Then there's the very old Monogram kit . . . 

I'm really looking forward to getting this kit. First build I'm going to make ETO and AVG ace James Howard's P-51B, Ding Hao!, using Mike Grant decals. Eduard's P-51B/C will be a fantastic canvas for that aircraft. Really good to see these subject updated for the new millenium!

LCOL-James-H.-Howard-USAAF-in-cockpit-of

• Like 2

3 hours ago, delide said:

Agreed about the Tamiya B's shape issues. It's whether or not those shape issues are worth the work it takes filling in the millions of ridiculously oversized rivets and having to doddle with a hundred extra parts. Most of which are easily broken and not visible from normal viewing distances. 

As important as shape accuracy is to me, so is realism and practicality. I build kits for enjoyment and to have a reasonable replica of the subject when I'm done. I don't find the filling rivets and fussing with tiny parts enjoyable. Therefore I can either overlook and or fix minor shape issues (depending on complexity) if the kit will still look reasonably like the real airplane. 

Not everyone uses scale plans, calipers, micrometers and a jewelers loop to view an aircraft model. Some of us enjoy modeling without the extra work these kits require. 

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. It's simply personal preference and I'm stating mine. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

49 minutes ago, Mycapt65 said:

Agreed about the Tamiya B's shape issues. It's whether or not those shape issues are worth the work it takes filling in the millions of ridiculously oversized rivets and having to doddle with a hundred extra parts. Most of which are easily broken and not visible from normal viewing distances. 

As important as shape accuracy is to me, so is realism and practicality. I build kits for enjoyment and to have a reasonable replica of the subject when I'm done. I don't find the filling rivets and fussing with tiny parts enjoyable. Therefore I can either overlook and or fix minor shape issues (depending on complexity) if the kit will still look reasonably like the real airplane. 

Not everyone uses scale plans, calipers, micrometers and a jewelers loop to view an aircraft model. Some of us enjoy modeling without the extra work these kits require. 

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. It's simply personal preference and I'm stating mine. 

Yes of course, we all have our personal preferences. To me the shape is the most important thing, in this case the blunt top of the spine is noticeable to me without using any plan. Rivets OTOH don't really bother me, but the wing of this kit won't be covered with it.

Small parts are probably difficult to avoid though, as the kits gets more and more detailed. Like even Tamiya's own new tooled spitfire Mk1 for example, it has much more parts and small ones too than their old version.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wing moulds

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/pfbid0Zo5prUozu1z6ieRGXmmP8rVdVr4C6519uREuvwVi1vDhnoGiHtoWkWHr4zEaGpKml

Electrode for future preparation of surface details and work in progress on metal mold for wing of P-51B/C Mustang kit in 1/48 scale. May 2024 release. Which P-51 Fighter Group is your favorite?

425353169-918999670020802-24488117210718

424701246-919000023354100-70163056405666

425369844-919000056687430-89691882940516

425345233-919000093354093-82467564207089

V.P.

• Like 7