Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

548 Excellent

About CheshireGap

  • Rank
    New Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

714 profile views
  1. Thanks, Edwardii! The wash was applied straight on to bare plastic - I find the Vallejo wash will not wipe off paint or varnish without leaving considerable staining behind, whereas on bare plastic it will wipe off easily even days later, leaving behind exactly the right effect in rivets and panel lines, and dense enough to show through a layer or two of airbrushed camo
  2. Excellent finish, lovely subtle variation to the colours
  3. Its a mix of Tamiya XF58 Olive Green and XF67 Nato Green, then added a couple of drops of XF71 IJN Cockpit Green for fading; strictly speaking the whole combo is probably too light, in photos the Shinden appears much darker, but I like the overall effect, and that is what counts!
  4. Thought I would have a bash at getting this finished withing 2020, but falling a hour or so short of that target...following the tip from bentwaters81tfw, I decided to bolster the pegs for the undercarriage legs with brass tubing, sized up for the hole: So far this seems to be holding... Decals were disappointing, too bright, and out of register with a noticeable white line appearing on one edge; I only used them for the underside and decided to make masks elsewhere The prop is fiddly to paint but plenty of fine tape and it
  5. Thanks for the tip! I must admit to looking at them and wondering how they will support anything, Hasegawa do not supply much of a peg to hold to it in place.
  6. Excellent work! I wish I had the courage to do this kind of scratch work, let alone present it!
  7. Decided that the next challenge should be an old kit, one with raised panel lines that needed a full engraving and riveting job done on it; chickening out on old Monogram B-24 & B-26 kits as I wanted a quicker build, out came this old Hasegawa kit; this still hasn't been a quick build: too much work and trying to slowly pack up the house ahead of a move in the new year. Overall this is a surprisingly good kit, yes the detail is not up to modern standards, but the fit is very good, making for a simple, fast build. The only challenge is the one I set myself. I didn't add much to
  8. I am going to stick to my interpretation when I do my Revell 1/32 in this scheme! In the BW& it sure looks like the dark area extends below the panel line but the colour photo reveals it is really just the yellow, which the relative colour sensitivity of the B&W film is rendering tonally as dark as the unpainted panel. There does appear to be a bit of touching up/smudging at the point of intersection which adds to the illusion. Plus I cannot think of any earthly reason why it it would have been painted a light blue!
  9. Mark, be wary of that dark triangle just aft of the "LOU IV" (3 in your picture) being a painted colour - on Mustangs the panel surrounding and to the rear of the exhausts is in a darker metal, that triangle is likely to be just the only corner of that panel that is unpainted.
  10. fantastic weathering and the nose looks genuinely translucent, very cleverly done!
  11. That is very nice, the subtle, low contrast wash over the rivets works beautifully - easily visible close-up, not so much at distance, just like the real thing!
  12. Copyright on the instruction dates this release to 1990, its been in my stash since around that time, and its turn has finally come around...I fancied doing something BoB this year, and chose this beastie, however lockdown and I did not get on, progress has been spectacularly slow after the mojo evaporated, only picking up again recently. Overall 2020 is likely to see only two kits come to completion, and one of those was started in 2019. I can only hope that next year is better all round...anyhow, to catch up with the progress since March, we kick off with what all old kits need, a good sound
  13. Just the postage, I don't want to fold it so it will be a large letter - I'll let know. PM me the address and I'll get it sorted this week
  14. I have the early 1990's release of this in my stash, with the Big Beautiful Doll decals - let me know if you are still in need.
  15. Thanks for all the kind comments! Its all relative - started in March and finished in April is very quick for me! There are not really that many parts to slow you down, there are only 8 steps in the instructions, including rockets & bombs. Examples of the" mixed bag": - lovely detail on the radar operators station - weird "growths" at the base of the prop blades Landing gear is fairly sturdy so far, its a bit of a fiddle getting it in if you leave it till after painting though. Doors are more of a fiddle as there is little in the way of contact points to
  • Create New...