1/72 SAAB Gripen - Italeri kit

Just finished this one a couple months back.  I love all the SAAB fighters, and this one turned out pretty well, I think.  I originally planned to paint it up as an operational fighter, but having seen one on the interwebs in this splinter scheme, I just couldn't resist.  I built it completely OOB, with Tamiya paints.  Now I just need to build a Viggen, once I bite the bullet and resign myself to weeks of masking to make the splinter camo for it.

CCXtpJB.jpg

Bl4bn5Y.jpg

cyfXNtL.jpg

UDqRGnv.jpg

XAcLrMN.jpg

bWvRwCb.jpg

SWB0dAy.jpg

Ds6leM9.jpg

eeAYubQ.jpg

3T376Vn.jpg

• Like 66
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the kind words, gents!  The large white missiles are the latest RBS-15 mark 4 anti-ship missiles, and the white pod is a targeting pod.

Fantastic looking Gripen. Is that a Saab demonstrator & didn't recognize those fins on the fuselage just behind the canards. Looks very purposeful in that colour scheme & with that load out.

Martin

Thanks for all the kind words!  Yes, I believe the one with this scheme was just a demonstrator, but from all my reference photos, most of them have those little fins behind the canards.  My mistake was installing them nearly flat; they should have an upward angle from the fuselage.

• 1 year later...

Thanks again, friends!  I honestly don't remember what colours I used; I just mixed some of my Tamiya paints until they looked close to the colours on the internet photos.  It's been almost two years since I built this one, and I didn't keep notes on the paints.  Sorry.

• 2 months later...

I just Googled 'Saab Gripen' and scrolled through the photos that showed up.  As soon as I saw it, I didn't care if it was only ever just a concept scheme.  I had to do it!

On 28/02/2024 at 15:44, ErikT said:

I just Googled 'Saab Gripen' and scrolled through the photos that showed up.  As soon as I saw it, I didn't care if it was only ever just a concept scheme.  I had to do it!

Were they aftermarket decals or did you paint it yourself?