0-18 parlor guitar build

Jered

Hello all,

I thought I'd share some pics and progress of an acoustic guitar that I'm making.

It's a Martin style 0-18 12 fret parlor guitar. I'm a bespoke fine furniture maker by day, but this has definitely stretched me past previous boundaries of skill. 

For the guitar nerds:

Top - German spruce

Bracing - scalloped X

Back and sides - Brazilian rosewood

Neck - walnut

Fretboard - gaboon ebony

Binding - louro faia

Tuners - Rodgers

Pick-up - schatten hfn-1 active transducer

spacer.png

Slightly different shape to the Martin - it has less of a flat on the lower bout but basically the same.

spacer.png

I ended up replacing the stem part of this inlay as I felt it was too light. I think the sky went blue with swearing.

spacer.png

Some custom made tuners designed by me and made by Rob Rodgers of Rodgers tuners.

spacer.png

Pre neck carving/gluing

spacer.png

Planing up the neck blank

The inlay on the fingerboard was hard. It's abalone shell, mother of pearl and pink mussel shell on gaboon ebony.

spacer.png

Cutting the neck joint. A massive sliding tapered dovetail.

spacer.png

Tricky old joint but very strong.

spacer.png

This rosette I made featuring three different designs. It's made like a stick of rock and then tiles cut from the length. There are ~17,000 pieces of wood in this rosette!

spacer.png

Nice little volume and tone control cover. Much neater than sticking the circuit board on directly.

spacer.png

AAAand my latest progress - finished the inlay on the headstock.

Next is drilling holes and slots for the pegs. My sister kindly designed the "Allcock" logo (which is our last name obviously)

This is actually in memoriam for one of my best friends who tragically lost her life in a car crash at the start of 2020 and this was/is an outlet for grief as well as my magnum opus

Cheers,

Jered

Edited by Jered
  • Like 13

15 minutes ago, Nigel Bunker said:

I thought Rosewood was banned under CITES? Or am I wrong?

You're not wrong, however, this timber was from pre-cites regulation (very old) and I have zero intention of selling this.  (Although musical instruments evade the cites ruling since 2017) I do feel guilt for using it, but I also didn't want to see such a beautiful board of wood languishing around doing nothing.

• Like 3

Not the normal fare we're used to seeing on the site, but there are some pretty impressive carpentry and instrument building techniques on display.  All respect due :worthy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jered said:

Thank you all for your kind words. 

Seeing the amazing modelling work here, I'm sure all of you could do the same 😉

<sarcasm mode> Yes, I'm sure we could. 🤣

• Haha 2

Thank you all so much, I promise I'll do some scale modelling at some point! I feel like I've been neglecting it recently in favour of work and this thing.

Anyway - here's a little update for those interested :)

spacer.png

Now, despite being a bespoke fine furniture maker for the past 11 years, putting those slots in was quite nerve wracking! (The holes look terribly big because they have a low friction bushing for the string pegs)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

That headstock is a think of absolute beauty.  More acoustics should come with a slotted headstock, I think.

Thank you. Having an optivisor definitely helped cutting the shell. I cut the rose completely by hand and used a CNC router to do the logo. 

I agree, I think slotted is much nicer but it's a lot more work so I can see why big companies would avoid it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jered said:

Thank you all so much, I promise I'll do some scale modelling at some point! I feel like I've been neglecting it recently in favour of work and this thing.

Anyway - here's a little update for those interested :)

spacer.png

If I could do stuff like that I'd chuck the models out of the window. 

• Haha 1