RAF Museum disposals

Paul J

5 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

In my book, an aircraft was on the RAF's book if it had a military serial. All those magnificent experimental planes and protos were in the end paid for by the taxpayer. I'd say that in particular this subcollection is unique in the world, and it takes quite a bit of ignorance IMHO not to appreciate this - by a museum, which is supposed to preserve history... and more or less all of them have quite some significance for the RAF as a service, as they pioneered stuff required for very significant service types. Don't get me wrong, I am not barking at you.

If one took the "RAF only" approach seriously, one could throw out the 110G and H-23, which are not RAF and have nothing whatsoever to do with the BoB, where they were located when I last visited (admittedly a couple of years ago :-)). And dispose of the 410 to make room for the "white" stuff. 

That would be to ignore, in no particular order, the Fleet Air Arm, Army and Royal Marines, as well as various research, test and trials organisations and agencies plus airframe, engine and equipment manufacturers.  I will, however, agree wholeheartedly that the research and development collection is unique and significant and that its dispersal represents both wanton ignorance and corporate vandalism of breathtaking proportion.  True the late-mark He111, Bf110 and Ju87 (formerly?) in the Battle of Britain Hall are inappropriate but they are [almost] the only game in town to represent the other combatants without resorting to plastic replicas.  The B-17 and B-25 in the Bomber Command Hall also are "out of context" although both were operated by the RAF but no-one is going to pay to repaint them in RAF colours.

• Like 1

I haven't had chance to read every post in this thread, so this may already have been mentioned but, could it be that they need room for other forthcoming RAF exhibits?  Perhaps they have plans for themed settings around airframes; which, of course would take up more room than just the aircraft on its own.

Anyone who has visited the Helicopter Museum recently would see that we are already crammed to capacity, with no spare room and yet we still haven't got a Sea King.  Any addition to our collection may cause similar, heart-wrenching decisions, or have to leave them out in the elements, like the EH101 Heliliner that we got last year.

cheers,

Mike

Another reason we got the F-84F was the building it was stored in, alongside assorted other airframes, was condemned. Our survey team had to be limited in size and wear hard hats, as the structure was failing. In short, they are running out of space, unless they move their engineering school elsewhere and take over their hangars.

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

In my book, an aircraft was on the RAF's book if it had a military serial. All those magnificent experimental planes and protos were in the end paid for by the taxpayer. I'd say that in particular this subcollection is unique in the world, and it takes quite a bit of ignorance IMHO not to appreciate this - by a museum, which is supposed to preserve history... and more or less all of them have quite some significance for the RAF as a service, as they pioneered stuff required for very significant service types. Don't get me wrong, I am not barking at you.

If the TSR.2 and the FD.2 have a place in an 'RAF' collection then so do all the others. More worryingly, I find it hard to believe that the Argosy will find a safe home: ditto the Comet. Cause for concern.

• Like 1

Lucky we all build models then as that and the history books will be all that's left to look at. This news really does sadden me because, and correct me if I am wrong the RAF has Hendon to tell the RAF story, then we have the IWM which is spread over several sites ( Duxford, Cosford) so why do we need more Tornado F3's and the like.

For me the protoypes and experimental aircraft are often unique in their purpose and their existence, they often have dramatic stories attached to them from an engineering and test pilot point of view and as such really do need preserving. Their story is as much entwined with the RAF as Spitfires, Sopwith Camels and Radar to name a few and much of the work done was to the RAF's benefit so I don't see how you remove one from the other.

The irony is that FAST at Farnborough would be a natural home for many of these airframes as it's remit is closest to these airframes designed purpose but they have been trying to acquire some land directly behind the museum that currently sits on the current airfield and is unused. Unfortunately, the owners of Farnborough seem unwilling to even listen. Why o why!

As previously mentioned the story is much bigger than just Spitfires and more Spitfires both from the human perspective and the engineering perspective, they should compliment each other in the story of our nations aviation heritage.

😟

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

That would be to ignore, in no particular order, the Fleet Air Arm, Army and Royal Marines, as well as various research, test and trials organisations and agencies plus airframe, engine and equipment manufacturers.  I will, however, agree wholeheartedly that the research and development collection is unique and significant and that its dispersal represents both wanton ignorance and corporate vandalism of breathtaking proportion.  True the late-mark He111, Bf110 and Ju87 (formerly?) in the Battle of Britain Hall are inappropriate but they are [almost] the only game in town to represent the other combatants without resorting to plastic replicas.  The B-17 and B-25 in the Bomber Command Hall also are "out of context" although both were operated by the RAF but no-one is going to pay to repaint them in RAF colours.

The Army Flying Museum, Middle Wallop has a number of experimental aircraft (Rotachute, Rotabuggy, ML Utility, Wisp and Wide eye) that were never Army Air Corps aircraft, but they do tell the story of aviation support to the Army and are therefore displayed with some prominence. OK The museum has its kiddies attractions and trails but nowhere near to the extent that the RAFM have gone to. When the museum underwent a revamp in 2018 the aim was to make it, yes, family friendly, but not so much as to alienate the enthusiast, something the RAFM has seemingly gone all out to do.  Like other museums space is tight, the Chipmunk moves regularly to make space for corporate events, but even then it moves into a space being reserved for an Apache, if and when one ever comes available (the thought of how much that will cost sends shivers down the spine).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

The irony is that FAST at Farnborough would be a natural home for many of these airframes as it's remit is closest to these airframes designed purpose but they have been trying to acquire some land directly behind the museum that currently sits on the current airfield and is unused. Unfortunately, the owners of Farnborough seem unwilling to even listen. Why o why!

What FAST really needs is its own dedicated spot. A completely new build, like Aerospace Bristol. It has such a wealth of artifacts, parts and documents and most importantly history that it is a travesty to be relegated to a small old building and tent, no matter how brilliant it is to visit.

Obviously this won't happen, but it would give a lot of these so-called surplus aircraft a chance to return to their real home. This just reminds me of what's happened with Duxford's ground warfare hall. RAFM and IWM are the only places with space, and the only ones who don't want them.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As I'm sure many folks here are aware, the Hendon B-25 was sold to the Easy Kirkby museum fairly recently. I think I read it was snapped up for £1.00 - a real bargain, if it's true. Apologies if this has already been discussed on this thread. It would be very cool if they could get it taxying again. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 02:55, spruecutter96 said:

As I'm sure many folks here are aware, the Hendon B-25 was sold to the Easy Kirkby museum fairly recently. I think I read it was snapped up for £1.00 - a real bargain, if it's true. Apologies if this has already been discussed on this thread. It would be very cool if they could get it taxying again. 

Chris. 

There was something on this in FlyPast a few months ago. It is their intention to get it live again, but for now I think they are concentrating on conservation and possibly a repaint

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 3:55 AM, spruecutter96 said:

I think I read it was snapped up for £1.00 - a real bargain, if it's true.

Ex transport & restoration costs.  Not as cheap as it sounds.

32 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Ex transport & restoration costs.  Not as cheap as it sounds.

The helicopter museum obtained another Lynx recently, an AH.7, and I understand that the transportation alone was in the region of £17,000.

It has tempted me to dig out the old Revell 1:32 Lynx HAS.3 and do a conversion to an AH.7

cheers,
Mike