A colorful Hawk kit #214

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everybody... This will be my second model in the build, it is Heller’s classic Hawk75/P-36. ZW2ivXg.jpg

uk2QjNG.jpg

EczycvX.jpg

I have two sets of original decals but doubt I will go French. Here is a color profile of the French option.
oOAzfub.jpg

I was planning on build a USAAC P-36 from Selfridge Field Michigan in 1939. I will be doing it in an experimental camouflage tested during the war games that year. There were multiple aircraft and each had a different pattern applied in water soluble paints.
Hk3irkE.jpg

mnPyvHT.jpgHere is a color guide used that year though on a different aircraft. dnnAvhG.jpg

The only thing I would be missing is the unit badge of the Eagle in the red disk. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 14

Again, great to see you here Dennis and building another classic Heller gem. I’ve never seen this Hawk kit although suspect millions have been built since it’s successful introduction back in the mid 60’s. Should be another great WIP to follow. 

Cheers and welcome.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

An oldie but goldie, good to see this one in the GB Dennis.  Originally issued in 1966!  Original catalogue numer L093 but this boxing is 214.

Welcome and good luck, I like the unusual camouflage markings.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Again, great to see you here Dennis and building another classic Heller gem. I’ve never seen this Hawk kit although suspect millions have been built since it’s successful introduction back in the mid 60’s. Should be another great WIP to follow. 

Cheers and welcome.. Dave 

Yes these are great little kits, makes me sad I never built a heller kit before this year. I built one of these as well earlier this year in the Nordic GB. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Dennis

I built one of these a while back in a previous GB, it goes together really well. The only thing I was warned about is the radial engine looks too small for the cowling. To be honest i built the kit as it came and was very pleased with it.

I did the Vichy stripes on mine, blooming nightmare of leaking masking tapes, so i think your camouflage version is inspired  !

Best of luck with your build

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I did the Vichy stripes on mine, blooming nightmare of leaking masking tapes, so i think your camouflage version is inspired  !

Best of luck with your build

Thanks Pat, I remember that build MTO II if I remember correctly ? This temporary camouflage has and added benefit, I believe it was hand applied so I could go old-school and do this without the A/B. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Pat, I remember that build MTO II if I remember correctly ? This temporary camouflage has and added benefit, I believe it was hand applied so I could go old-school and do this without the A/B. 

Result ! :yahoo:

• Thanks 1

Evening everyone... So Trying to figure out the correct colors for this build I decided to start a thread ip in aviation. 

I had some very great responses. However I was contacted by Dana Bell himself as the schematic is his original from 1977. He gave a very thorough description of all the colors used by the 27th for these schemes and also emailed me a much much clearer version of the layout schematic. He also gave permission to re-post it here. I now have what I need to move forward on this, and seeing as my MTO GB entries are past painting. I can start this and the Heller 109 in the next day or two. 

cwO7TYX.jpg

Please feel free to check the link out if you're curious about these aircraft, or if you have any questions. 

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone...Well I was able to get a start on these today. The nice thing about heller kits is they go together quick. I painted the interior bits and then sealed it up. 
fU6vmDa.jpg

o4lIAHm.jpg

Belts will be added tomorrow or the next day, control column after painting. This kits old enough to not have an instrument panel. Being that the canopy will be closed i wont be bothering. 

7zVujhT.jpg

X7tAjDZ.jpg

KNtz93K.jpg

Just a little gap at the wing root to radiator and rear fuselage. Once this sets up I can do what sanding, filling, re-scribing I will need. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Good morning everybody... I was able to get around and completely finish sanding, filling, and re-scribing on this and the 109 tonight. This one wasn't as good on fit after sanding and polishing the plastic, so it required a bit more filling than the 109. y0m1NTK.jpg

W4gbuVL.jpg

My plan is to add the gun housings on the upper cowling and exhausts tomorrow sometime. Then over the weekend get a start on the paint. I will base coat this in aluminum and add roundels. In a couple of the photo’s some of the underside roundels in particular were faintly visible through the distemper. I will try to go for that effect on this. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Looking good. Should be interesting seeing the scheme come alive. Could you take pictures of the various stages please?

Thanks Jeroen I sure can, be happy to do it. I’m still of two minds wether to go old school hairy brush or airbrush on the camo on ? Any thoughts ? 

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks like an oldie but goodie. Nice progress. You get operating flaps?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, No I just scribed them to a point where they're flexible bend them and Tamiya extra thin to harden them up again. Takes about 5-7 minutes in total and definitely makes a bit of visual difference. Provided you don't look up inside the cavern that is the fuselage. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I’m still of two minds wether to go old school hairy brush or airbrush on the camo on ? Any thoughts ? 

Will you be masking? If not, then brush, else airbrush would be my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Will you be masking? If not, then brush, else airbrush would be my 2 cents. 

If I go airbrush I will go with either paper masks, the schematic Dana bell provided is almost exactly 1/72 scale and couldve been designed for this kit. Or I will use tac worms, I’m not sure yet as I havent really brushed a model in almost 35 years, last one I did was a 1/48 Monogram Mirage 2000. It was also what made me switch to airbrush, enamels, crappy brushes, and lack of skill didn't work out in the end. Been airbrushing with only a couple years when I came back to building and didn't have an A/B. I used rattle-cans then. 

• Like 3

I would brush it in the traditional way, Dennis, because the original was brushed too and it shows irregular colour depth and brush sweeps.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Just seen this, Dennis. Go French!!! Too late, I know ........... ;(

Martin

It is my second option but the original roundels are suspect, and Ive no replacements. Rest assured a French hawk will be done as well as a Mohawk someday. 

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Dennis

I just noticed Lavender is one of the camouflage colours, you must have a very extensive paint range !

Cheers Pat

According to Dana its a lighter shade of Neutral grey, the old photo’s give a red hue to the grey so most likely will do it that way. I will use neutral grey with a few drops of white and possibly red to alter the tone ever so slightly. 

• Like 2