1/72nd Valom Vickers Valetta C.1 ***FINISHED****

19 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Wow, didn't know there was a kit of this, looks superb! Might have to see if I can find an ebay one some time.

They are on there now for £33 inc P&P, just ordered mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great choice again Tony! I'll be following along as I have these in my sights - been on pre-order with Hannants since their announcement, but I've not received the usual 'in stock' notification.

I stupidly stumped up a king's ransom for Broplan's Varsity T.1 & Valetta T.3 a while ago, but being vacform they're several steps above my pay grade at the mo!

Looking forward to your next update.

Edge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Cheers for the heads up,.... at that price I`ve just added another to my stash,...... I fancy a Far East based Valetta too.

23 minutes ago, Edge said:

Great choice again Tony! I'll be following along as I have these in my sights - been on pre-order with Hannants since their announcement, but I've not received the usual 'in stock' notification.

I stupidly stumped up a king's ransom for Broplan's Varsity T.1 & Valetta T.3 a while ago, but being vacform they're several steps above my pay grade at the mo!

Looking forward to your next update.

Edge

Thanks Edge,..... might be a plan to stick the Broplane`s on e bay? This kit is much more accurate and well worth getting.

• Like 3

I have in my stash the 1/72 S&M Vickers Viking, which is very good but in resin I bought from Mel a few years ago, I was going to convert this as a Valetta but now I have just bought the Valom kit on eBay so I will keep that kit as a Viking, anyway looking forward to your build

• Like 1

It is all decisions.  An aircraft from my early days.  First, if my pension fund can stand the cost, and secondly, if it can, which version to go for.  While I was doing this I had a rummage in my library and found a copy of "Scale Aircraft Modelling", Vol 17 No 7 (Sept 1995) which has a fantastic 20 page 'Aircraft in Detail' article by my old friend Alan W Hall on the Valetta and Varsity, including 6 pages of coloured side views.  Just if anyone is interested.    Robin.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, 71chally said:

I ordered the kit literally just before I posted that comment, and it turned up on doorstep at midday today, how cool is that!

Anyway, on with the show, and see how Tony is getting on with his....

• Like 2

So many Valetta fans out there.  Who knew?  Looking forward to seeing it in progress.  TonyOT, probably don't need to advise you, but you may want to check the fit of the cockpit transparency and fuselage while dry-fitting, as this seems to be a chronic Valom problem.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Robin said:

It is all decisions.  An aircraft from my early days.  First, if my pension fund can stand the cost, and secondly, if it can, which version to go for.  While I was doing this I had a rummage in my library and found a copy of "Scale Aircraft Modelling", Vol 17 No 7 (Sept 1995) which has a fantastic 20 page 'Aircraft in Detail' article by my old friend Alan W Hall on the Valetta and Varsity, including 6 pages of coloured side views.  Just if anyone is interested.    Robin.

Robin: are you averse to scanning some choice bits and sharing with the group?

Looking forward to seeing one of these built Tony, although I am being good and not going to get one , got around half my stash in the modelling mancave and I need a bigger Mancave!!!

Good luck with your build fella.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:06 PM, kev67 said:

I have in my stash the 1/72 S&M Vickers Viking, which is very good but in resin I bought from Mel a few years ago, I was going to convert this as a Valetta but now I have just bought the Valom kit on eBay so I will keep that kit as a Viking, anyway looking forward to your build

Cheers Kev,.....I`ve got the old Magna kit but it looks as if it has just flown through a flaming hail storm, the resin is so pitted,..... so it went back into the box! I`ve got an old vacuform that I was going to cross kit with a Frog Wellington,.... and also that very basic Maquette kit,..... again using a Frog Wellington for the main parts.

Edited by tonyot

Yes I also have the Vac form body I think it is by Airmodel with the old Airfix Wellington wings, but for accuracy the S&M kit is very good, I have also noticed on the kit that it has a asymmetric horizontal tail surface, but not sure if this  transpired onto the Valetta or just early Vikings, I know also that the Devon/Dove had the same on later aircraft

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 8:35 PM, 71chally said:

You might have seen this Tony, from this site https://www.paradata.org.uk/article/vickers-valetta

kitbag-jumpsvaletta-aircraft-(flying-pig

Love it,..... looks like late 40`s/early 50`s with the leg kit bags and no reserve,..... I`m in two minds whether to add scratch detail inside the fuselage and cut out the para door? 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement folks,....... right I`ve dived into construction,.....

First of all I dug out my previous Valetta/Viking project,....... the Maquette kit and an Airways vacuform,....... I won`t be needing these anymore and might just sell it all off now;

DSCF8149.jpg

DSCF8150.jpg

And on with the kit,.... got the cockpit together;

I noticed that the cockpit walls and seat frames were a Bronze Green colour,... so I used RAAF Foliage Green with Dark Earth leather cushions,....lines were scribed in to replicate the leather.

DSCF8154-NEW.jpg

DSCF8151-NEW.jpg

I`m looking through my spares box for an old Dakota floor to place in the rear cabin and I`m toying with the idea of removing the para door and detailing the inside? 

I usually treat limited run kits like this as a Vacuform and sand the mating edges,...... I have also used scrap plastic to add tabs to the fuselage join too;

DSCF8152-NEW.jpg

Smaller parts were pre painted on the sprues;

DSCF8155.jpg

Started on the wings,...... painted the inside of thr wheel wells silver,....... then sanded the mating edges to make then more realistic and with a sharper trailing edge;

DSCF8156-NEW.jpg

The wings finished and held together with tape while the glue dries,.... along with the engine nacelles and the tailplanes.

DSCF8159-NEW.jpg

The clear parts have been painted with their interior colour;

DSCF8158.jpg

The state of play so far;

DSCF8160-NEW.jpg

And a couple of close ups of the cockpit;

DSCF8161-NEW.jpg

DSCF8162-NEW.jpg

All the best,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Super work there tony, love that cockpit treatment.

Re your previous post,

That would be some work, but great to see.  You might like this aswel,

large_000000.jpg?_gl=1*1ljis42*_gcl_aw*R

Cracking pic mate,..... really handy that one....... note the officers standing doing nothing while the lads are grafting.... same old same old LOL!!!

Edited by tonyot

I know an old Air Despatcher with many hours in the Valletta. He has a lot of good things to say about it but anything about lugging the loads UP the fuselage on the ground or over the main spar either on the ground or in the air are not fit to be printed. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

I know an old Air Despatcher with many hours in the Valletta. He has a lot of good things to say about it but anything about lugging the loads UP the fuselage on the ground or over the main spar either on the ground or in the air are not fit to be printed. 

THAT Step was not popular with anybody,...... bloks at the end of a parachute stick had to lug themselves and their heavy kit over it on the way to the door,..... there was always a gap in the stick in the air,.....and many of the last out missed the DZ!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

note the officers standing doing nothing

Easy now!  LOL.  

This is looking great, Tony!  I really enjoy watching the build.  That beautifully rendered cockpit helps set the tone for all that follows.  I'll be sure to sand the mating surfaces on mine as you suggest.

• Like 1

Surprising what gems are out there, there's some nice internal images on this site Tony, worth a scroll through,

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1111182

https://www.awm.gov.au/advanced-search?query=valetta&collection=true&facet_type=Photograph

Always occurred to me that I wouldn't fancy jumping out of that door with the tailplane being position as it is, this pic kinda shows how close it is

https://www.tumblr.com/search/nzsas

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1