1/72nd Valom Vickers Valetta C.1 ***FINISHED****

Having double checked my cowlings against pics of the real aircraft,...... I may have over shortened them? Although the engine cowlings fit nicely against the wing nacelles,..... there should be more nacelle visible behind the engine,.....projecting the engine further forward with the front edge of the engine forward of the adjacent window (see my ref pictures) ......  so I`ll have to re visit this I think.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Learstang said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced this would look good next to a col pol Shackleton MR.2. I'm thinking of doing one (a Shackleton) with a full load of 12 1,000 lb. bombs. Make a nice diorama, especially with a C.1 sitting next to it. Maybe an open cowling... I don't suppose anyone makes a Griffon Mk.57A or Mk.58 in 1/72nd scale?

Regards,

Jason

That would look fabulous Jason,.... especially with a few vehicles mixed in too,..... the Shackleton being bombed up from a line of Airfix bomb trollies would look brilliant.  

• Like 2

I would say the props should be in line with the cockpit joint line, aft edge of the astrodome, there seems to be a reinforcement strip panel there aswel.

Yours look well placed.

Edited by 71chally

Hi Tony.

I have got the prop blades centred on the square panel forward of the first cabin window, for some reason the blade tip is almost touching the fuselage, however, the props will still spin.   Robin.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

That would look fabulous Jason,.... especially with a few vehicles mixed in too,..... the Shackleton being bombed up from a line of Airfix bomb trollies would look brilliant.  

Agreed! Add a few palm trees and maybe a fuel bowser nearby (although not too close - I don't suppose petrol and bombs mix too well) and there you have it - Aden (Khormaksar, to be exact).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Agreed! Add a few palm trees and maybe a fuel bowser nearby (although not too close - I don't suppose petrol and bombs mix too well) and there you have it - Aden (Khormaksar, to be exact).

Regards,

Jason

I`m just reading an excellent book about that neck of the woods written by Tony Haigh-Thomas called Fall Out the Catholics & Jews,...... featuring the time he was in Aden with 8 Sqn on Venom`s and Hunters,..... very good indeed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fall-Roman-Catholics-Jews-Distinguished/dp/190618304X

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Tony, as part of the research for my book on the Shackleton, I've read a bit about Aden and the Emergency. The Shackleton saw a surprising amount of action there as a level bomber and attack aircraft. Those two 20's in the nose of the MR.2s proved useful in ground attacks. The Shackletons were also used for recce purposes, photographing possible targets for the fighter-bombers. The Shacks were there from 1957 until the general British withdrawal in 1967. It's interesting how No. 8 Squadron later became the Shackleton AEW.2 squadron.

Best Regards,

Jason

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

projecting the engine further forward with the front edge of the engine forward of the adjacent window

Definitely, the leading edge of the engine nacelle is forward of the first window--but attempt surgery only if it's easy to do, and/or you can borrow @Martian's special machine for the purpose.  Ask Moa for details.  Otherwise this looks great!  What are your plans for the navigator's astrodome?  Just paint the opening black and glue the astrodome over it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

Tony, as part of the research for my book on the Shackleton, I've read a bit about Aden and the Emergency. The Shackleton saw a surprising amount of action there as a level bomber and attack aircraft. Those two 20's in the nose of the MR.2s proved useful in ground attacks. The Shackletons were also used for recce purposes, photographing possible targets for the fighter-bombers. The Shacks were there from 1957 until the general British withdrawal in 1967. It's interesting how No. 8 Squadron later became the Shackleton AEW.2 squadron.

Best Regards,

Jason

Hiya Jason, yeah they were basically used as bomb trucks and those 20mm`s were definitely handy.... I`ve read quite a bit on the subject myself too,..... apparently the crews enjoyed their detachments. I thought the same about 8 Sqn when I was reading up on the Shack`s too,..... weird eh?

9 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Definitely, the leading edge of the engine nacelle is forward of the first window--but attempt surgery only if it's easy to do, and/or you can borrow @Martian's special machine for the purpose.  Ask Moa for details.  Otherwise this looks great!  What are your plans for the navigator's astrodome?  Just paint the opening black and glue the astrodome over it?

Yeah I`ve fixed my engines now,..... added a block behind the engine to bump it forward and moved them down slightly too,....using the engine maintenance pic in this threat as a reference along with side views too,..... they look much better. I`ll take a piccy tomorrow. For the astrodome I was going to drill a hole at first but I might just paint it black,..... I`ve not fully decided yet.  

• Like 2

Tony.

I also wondered about the astrodome.  In the diagram at 11, there is a drawing for parts C6 & R1 where they seem to have a collar with a lip below the cupola that I presume would fit into a hole drilled into the fuselage roof, however, this is shown differently in the diagrams at 12 and 14. (you take your pick)   Robin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Jason, yeah they were basically used as bomb trucks and those 20mm`s were definitely handy.... I`ve read quite a bit on the subject myself too,..... apparently the crews enjoyed their detachments. I thought the same about 8 Sqn when I was reading up on the Shack`s too,..... weird eh?

I suppose it was a bit of a change from the endless missions spent patrolling the North Sea or the Denmark Strait. At least they didn't have to worry about the cold weather in Aden! It appears that a few of the AEW.2s had actually served alongside the fighter-bombers of No. 8 in Aden, when they were still MR.2s serving with No. 37 Squadron.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 9:32 PM, tonyot said:

Now I want to build a Suez aircraft and photos are not very common,....... I have a few in my collection including these;; 

Valetta-1-Abn-Forces-Mus.jpg

Not that I can see too many faces to check, but my Dad could possibly be in that photo. He certainly jumped out of a Valetta at Suez, so probably went back to Cyprus in one too. I'll have to check with him; he doesn't talk about it much.
One Valetta C Mk1 kit is on its way to me. I have a cunning plan...

• Like 3

Oh boy, now I definitely need to get a Valetta for my growing Suez collection! I guess I picked a bad week to quit buying Valettas. Interesting picture - you can see how slap-dash the Suez ID stripes could be.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, tonyot said:

For the astrodome I was going to drill a hole at first but I might just paint it black,..... I`ve not fully decided yet.  

I recommend NOT drilling a hole, but just painting it black.  See demonstration of this approach here:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I recommend NOT drilling a hole, but just painting it black.  See demonstration of this approach here:

LOL,.....BEEP BEEP!!................... Yeah I`ll probably be painting it,.......I don`t want to crack the fuselage open to be fair and I know I will!

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Oh boy, now I definitely need to get a Valetta for my growing Suez collection! I guess I picked a bad week to quit buying Valettas. Interesting picture - you can see how slap-dash the Suez ID stripes could be.

Regards,

Jason

It has to be done Jason,....... the last British Battalion sized operational jump,...... I also want to build a Hastings with the Jeeps under the fuselage! I have a Suez collection myself and have always wanted to add the paachute assault aircraft,.....I intend on doing a Noratlas too.

3 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Glad you liked the pic Steve,..... I know a couple of blokes who jumped into Suez too,...... my father in law went in by sea the next day.

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,.... well,..... after the yellow anti glare panel was masked off I sprayed the model using Tamiya Bare Metal Silver. You can see how I moved the engines forward too, having fitted them wrongly before;

DSCF8248-NEW.jpg

DSCF8249-NEW.jpg

So next,.... the white roof section,...........

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, 71chally said:

That really does look good with the paint on, lovely job!

Cheers mate,...... yeah it is getting there,....... looking forward to getting the white lid on,........ I`m using yellow decal for the cheatline....... then brush painting the Suez stripes.

Edited by tonyot

Hi Tony.

How did you manage to fit the windows, I tried, but found that the glass is smaller than the opening, it was suggested that I use Klear-fix, but that can be rather messy, especially with my problem fingers.  That is an excellent finish you have got on the silver, hope that you do not have a problem with the masking for the white.   Robin.

• Like 1

She looks very nice with the paint on, Tony! So the Noratlas was used in Suez - good, another piston-engined aircraft to go along with the jets. Now when will someone come out with a Hastings?!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Hi Tony.

How did you manage to fit the windows, I tried, but found that the glass is smaller than the opening, it was suggested that I use Klear-fix, but that can be rather messy, especially with my problem fingers.  That is an excellent finish you have got on the silver, hope that you do not have a problem with the masking for the white.   Robin.

Cheers Robin,.... I had to trim the windows and the openings to fit,.....I used a square profile file for the openings and  just do a bit at a time and keep test fitting. Klear Fix for such large windows would look bad, plus the clear parts include the frame too. Hopefully the tape will behave itself,..... but at least I`m straying the white,.... and I have a yellow cheatline to cover the joint too. 

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

She looks very nice with the paint on, Tony! So the Noratlas was used in Suez - good, another piston-engined aircraft to go along with the jets. Now when will someone come out with a Hastings?!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,..... yes the Noratlas was used to drop the French Paras as well as the British Para Engineers and if memory serves correctly the Guards Independent Para Company (who were also the 16 Para Bde Pathfinder unit) too. They all flew from Cyprus and the Noratlas was silver with a white roof and yellow/black Suez stripes,..... I agree,..... roll on a Hastings,.....pleeeaase!! 

Cheers

Tony

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

That really does look good with the paint on, lovely job!

Thanks Chally mate.

• Like 2

Lovely - so the Noratlas did have the Suez stripes! Definitely on my list now. I suppose Heller is the only company that every produced a kit, at least in 1/72nd scale. Regarding the Hastings, who knows, maybe Vaclav Lomitzki (Mr. Valom) will grace us with one!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1