Tamiya Chieftain

Thanks Nick @flashlight and Darryl @Jasper dog for your comments.

Darryl have not been able to get to the bench for awhile and had almost forgotten where I had got to on this build! my memory not as good as it used to be, still hopefully I will be able to update this again sooner rather than later. Must go and look at your CR1 progress 

Roger

16 hours ago, Hamden said:

Must go and look at your CR1 progress 

Yeah yeah, no need to take the Mickey.....what progress?:sleep_1:

If only I had the time

Cheers

Darryl 

42 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

no need to take the Mickey.

Not taking the Mickey Darryl, just not had the time to keep up with everyone's great projects of late

Roger

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hamden said:

Not taking the Mickey Darryl, just not had the time to keep up with everyone's great projects of late

Roger

I know, just my peculiar sense of humour! :whistle:

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your likes and comments.

Little to report from the last week, the hull and turret have been primed and a start made on turning it green.

The pictures show better than words so here they are

IMG-0451.jpg

IMG-0452.jpg

IMG-0453.jpg

IMG-0454.jpg

IMG-0455.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, stay safe

Roger

• Like 10

Looking good Roger. Just one point though when the Chieftains were put out on the plain the centre wheel stations had to be removed due to the Conventional forces Treaty  Europe to verify they were indeed decommissioned.

50170423258_0345868457_o_d.jpg

Ivan

• Like 4

Hi Roger. I've not been in the AFV section much since finishing my AMX-13, but I just found this one. What a brilliant idea to do a range wreck. We often drive over the "seaward" road between where we live and Lulworth Cove, and I'm always fascinated by the old Chieftain wrecks. Indeed, there are now a few Challenger wrecks too it seems! The Lulworth ranges are a fascinating place.

Will follow with much interest.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks for all the likes it does mean a lot! 

Thanks for your input Ivan @ivan-o Most of the wrecks I've seen on Lulworth ranges have a complete set of suspension units fitted as per this one [NOT my photo] 

FV4201 Chieftain

photo by Bron Pancerna on Flicker.com on Google search

Hi Terry @Terry1954 nice to have you along, hopefully I will end up with something looking like the above photograph!  

Roger

• Like 6

On 31/07/2020 at 06:45, Hamden said:

Most of the wrecks I've seen on Lulworth ranges have a complete set of suspension units fitted as per this one

Makes me wana cry seeing the Chieftain looking like that ....so sad...but a very interesting modeling subject if your good with weathering

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

interesting modeling subject if your good with weathering

Time will tell on that front!

You're right it is a shame to see these vehicles in this state.

Roger

• Like 3

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Have done a little work on the weathering side and would appreciate your comments as to how this progressing, I may have bitten off more than I can achieve with this one!

Anyway some pictures as to where we stand at present

IMG-0457.jpg

IMG-0458.jpg

IMG-0459.jpg

IMG-0460.jpg

Thanks for your dropping in and I look forward to your comments

Roger

• Like 11

Hi Roger, looking good, so far... just needs more...

More rust streaking from the bins etc, the armour plate itself wont rust but anything mildsteel attached will. Perhaps a good application of an old favourite, of mine at least, AKs rain marks for NATO vehicles that should give you the pale streaking as can be seen in the picture on post #34

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your input Darryl, I knew it needed more weathering just wanted to check I'm going in the right direction!

This will be a little at a time then sit back and study the results then do a little more

Roger

• Like 2

Sorry Roger, but that is never going to win any prizes as a parade ground model. It looks more like something that's been left out on the ranges for years, and pummeled by other tanks......oh! hang on.....that's that's supposed to look like. In that case.......nice one mate!

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

It looks more like something that's been left out on the ranges for years, and pummeled by other tanks......oh! hang on.....that's that's supposed to look like.

Thanks for the comment John @Bullbasket I must be doing something right

Roger

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

This will be a little at a time then sit back and study the results then do a little more

Roger

Excellent idea, do a little at a time, let it settle down, observe and then decide if it needs more. Daft as it sounds, don't want to go ott.

Darryl 

• Like 1

Looks very nice. Now take an airgun and do some target practice and you'll have a real range wreck on your hands. 

BTW, even without the airgun it looks completely real. Great work.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Although I have not posted for a while I have looking and contemplating during the down time and have done a little more to the Chieftain, your comments would be appreciated

IMG-0465.jpg

IMG-0468.jpg

IMG-0466.jpg

Thanks for the likes and comments and for looking in

Roger

• Like 8

This is a cool project. Excellent decision to swap the gun and this ring halfway the barrel breaks the monotony of the shape. It's interesting how vehicles decay in different climates and conditions.

Cheers,

Ernst.

• Thanks 1