Your Favourite Box Art...?

Richard E

21 hours ago, Neil.C said:

That's a very unusual box illustration for a military aircraft.

Normally they have a wartime background but that one has the peace sign and flowers which I guess are reminiscent of the summer of love?

Probably, it's of that general era.

My thinking didn't go that far though. As usual, it was more a case of 'ooooo, bright colours, shiny things..' 🙉

Edited by Avgas
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

I missed this thread when it started, but I love box art, so here's my favourites (in no particular order)...

I'll start with the early ones that encouraged me to part with my meager pocket money and produce thick polystyrene glue covered plastic abominations.

Airfix's 1/72 Spitfire IX. Johnnie Johnson naturally.

y4maElREATY6gfeQpLai2Jv8j-MkpXwF_VICoJb7

OK, Hang Packet art, but very nice.

And the dastardly adversary to hang near the Spit on the ceiling.

y4mxsVaxGnCSrdky7tjZjhV3RVnXgKq8iKfB4cKx

Who were the artists I wonder?

I'm a fan of naval aviation art, dramatic action as a Fairy Firefly takes off for a strike in the Korean War;

y4mzKhV5aAK0XZ1xuecNR9eQ2XmOh6JBiTIOmHV7

More drama on deck, the power of Phantom jets being launched off N.Vietnam

y4mD7eJgO5L0FhG5qZ4qgyK226kWuZ0gkzW69OtZ

Moving on, FROG did some wonderful box art;

y4muMIAtntVgFvrDuBQ6-xfRmUsQaOj1khGCS6Rj

Though I was a bit disappointed not to find a V1 'Flying Bomb' in the box! Had to wait until they released the Spitfire XIV.

A lovely picture, FROG's Bleriot XI arriving at Dover Castle on 25 July 1909;

y4mfCIodRrzgRjehfodxTQ5XtxP3y_LuRGaPP73W

Back to the deck again. FROG really caught the action with this super picture of Sea Furys taking off from HMS Glory off the coast of Korea. The artist (who was it?) researched the subject well; the attendant destroyer to rescue the pilot in the event of a failed take-off and the Sea Fury is very accurate, more than can be said for the contents of the box.

y4m5f2rHbkJpP6ygpTK3I4gfs7RHnERDgx7CjpfZ

I've got to include some of the work of Koike Shigeo, one of the greatest aviation artists. From Hasegawa, his excellent rendition of a JV44 Fw190D-9 attempting to protect Me262s in 1945.

y4m6GSH3lqdOksP0Z2rxDVqqcs_e5-vJ7PmreiSr

Another of Koike Shigeo's

y4m1-SYERpK0q_EKxxFpcvsLlXPpF_JnJwDv8r9N

Then and now

1969. An early Airfix Harrier. The ground crew don't look too confident in the pilot's ability to land it!

y4mM1ItKQTEkfBZWBgBKSHPDNRrzYC44-y4ijS0U

By 2013 things were looking a bit more professional. The contents of the box had improved as well.

y4mNV-Fv-oT8e02egTi-Rz5-lDHOBp0rj_w56s2P

And my favourite? Got to be Roy Cross' KL-B that adorned the 1/24 Spitfire kit in 1970;

y4mbD66_HYzuzZX_xK6fwN0abBrJlvjgRBz2fSGs

a piece of exceptional art taken from a larger picture;

y4mCfEajbjCicIfTdx60D56v_46nP8mylPdnXigs

• Like 5

I really like the art from Revell’s Phantom F4 J 1/32 scale from I think 1972  (no image of it sorry 😀

the revell x5 looks pretty cool to 

Edited by G10ap

Great selection of box art there @Johnson I think we may be of a similar vintage. 😉

I remember buying the Phantom from Woolies in the '60's (for just over 3 shillings?) and loving the box art.

Funnily enough I bought an old Airfix selection box with half a dozen older kits in it from a boot sale last year and building the Phantom brought back old memories. It had a choice of Kitty Hawk or Forrestal markings - of course it had to be the Forrestal!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It was a world long ago and far away...

Certainly was Graham, and so is the kit I made.

Presumably buried in landfill somewhere near London. Being plastic it will last 1000+ years and one day someone (or something) may dig it up and notice the decals were poorly applied.

4s 6d in 1965 would (according to the Bank of England's Inflation Calculator) be worth £3.53 now. Not quite what I paid last week!

13 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The American Airfix Buccaneer box qualifies there then. With a Zero on fire!

That would surely get the prize for most bizarre box art.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

The Sunbeam driver doesn't seem too bothered...

In his defence, he's a bit busy applying full opposite lock to control the raging 78 bhp under the bonnet. 

• Haha 6

One of my favourite childhood box art selections is the good old Matchbox P-51, with Dooleybird rising confidently into the air, tucking up her gear as she goes. That, and the Harrier GR.1, shown doing the vertical thing in a forest somewhere. 

Actually, many of Matchbox's boxes were good. Certainly they inspired me. 

• Like 1

The US Airfix box art all seemed a bit naff to me. Not as well drawn as their British equivalents, and seemingly a bit heavy handed in the 'action'. I wondered how much it reflects some cultural differences between the expectations of their target audiences. A read of Bill Brysons' (a near contemporary, age wise) 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid', whilst not history, portrays a childhood and adolescence way different from that of late 50's/eatly 60's Britain. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2023 at 8:30 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

The American Airfix Buccaneer box qualifies there then. With a Zero on fire!

The only rational explanation of that box art, is the types and quantities of mind-altering drugs that were being consumed in the "swinging" 60's.

Some serious impressionist artwork there!

• Haha 2