Auto Union Typ C, German GP '36

At the moment I'm halfway through the book from 1952 written by Ludwig Sebastian, who worked at the Auto Union racing department in the 1930's and was Bernd Rosemeyer's race mechanic in those days. This is a very fascinating GP era, and I feel this is a good time to start another build of a GP car of those days. And now it must be a car of Bernd Rosemeyer. I have some in my stash, and I picked Fernando Pinto's (FPPM) 1/24 scale resin kit of the Auto Union Typ C from the German GP 1936, a race that Bernd Rosemeyer won.

AU1.jpg

This is not a simple kit. There are quite a few parts with chassis and engine details, most of which are delicate resin castings requiring a lot of cleaning up and preparation. It will not be an easy build, neither a fast build, but hopefully a rewarding model in the end. Here we have the content of the box.

AU2.jpg

The main casting. The quality looks quite good but there is a lot to clean up and prepare.

AU3.jpg

The larger resin parts. The grille come pre-assembled. The little research I have done so far indicates that the four side vents need to be filled for the German GP '36, but I'm not done there yet. FPPM is often moulding in metal rods in some of his castings, as can been seen in the rear axle.

AU4.jpg

The smaller resin parts. Some of these are very delicate and will be a pain to clean up. There is also the occasional air bubble to deal with. Plenty of work ahead.

AU5.jpg

The wheels, a very important aspect of this era GP car models. FPPM has a rather effective way of making the pre-assembled wire wheels. They are looking very good when fully painted and fitted with their knock off nuts. I have used them before with great result.

AU6.jpg

So that's something to start working on...

• Like 13

Oooh, this looks interesting!

I have the Matchbox kit (obviously no comparison quality wise) so will be watching for hints and tips on the details!

Ian

• Like 2

On 23/03/2020 at 16:10, Sabrejet said:

My only reservation (as with the FPPM Ferrari) is that it needs a PE grille. The real thing was slatted rather than mesh, and had some very obvious lightening holes in the vertical slats:

Indeed it is a shortcoming. I am well aware of the construction of the grille on the Auto Unions, but to have a true to scale photo etch in such small scale as 1/24 would not be easy I think. It would most likely end up as a compromise anyway, in dimensions and number of ribs. Well, we'll see what can be done with this.

I wouldn't mind a Typ C from MFH in 1/12 though... 😎

4 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I think it'll look fine: didn't want to pick holes because it looks a lovely kit. I love the sound these things make!

Oh no problem, I think there will be a number of holes  to deal with before this one is finished 😎

He does have a photo etched grille included in the W154, but it's one of more scary bend and shaping excursions I have seen... One day I will have to tackle it though. The FPPM kits do require  a fair amount of work, but there are so many fascinating subjects he's doing...

Yes, the sound during warm up in those days...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of period feeling. Our hero Bernd Rosemeyer looks like a lot more cheerful guy than the rather determined character on the GP program cover. Just as cheerful as he is described by Ludwig Sebastian in his book.

AU8.jpg

For the German GP 1936 the four extra cooling slots are filled according to race photos.

AU9.jpg

The fit of the engine cover must be improved.

AU10.jpg

With added material at the back with the aid of an Evergreen strip and a little sanding the situation is much improved.

AU11.jpg

Dry fitting of the main body parts looks promising.

AU12.jpg

AU13.jpg

The floor panel also needs material added at each side to get a tight fit against the sides to prevent large gaps to be seen inside the cockpit. Again I'm using Evergreen strips.

AU14.jpg

This is better.

AU15.jpg

Some parts are worse than others. The two front surface patterns on the radiator part are just not possible to clean up and save. Luckily the backside is OK.

AU16.jpg

After cleaning up and filling the rest of the part I shaved of the patterns and replaced them with photo etch mesh from Aber, Evergreen strip and some stretched sprue. Now, the kit I'm building here was produced some five or six years ago, and thankfully some things have improved. The part to the right is from another Typ C, from the Vanderbilt Cup 1937, that I got just a few months ago, and it is much better.

AU17.jpg

The rear axle is test fitted.

AU18.jpg

Then, after more cleaning and filling, the engine and compressor with carburettor is also dry fitted to check the clearance against the engine cover. After thinning it down a bit it fitted nicely on top.

AU19.jpg

After pretty much the better part of a day at the workbench these parts are ready for further dry building and later a coat primer. It's not quick work and definitely a challenge. Yet I think this is the kind of model building I like the best.

AU20.jpg

Having said that there is now this bag of many smaller fragile parts that needs a lot of attention...

• Like 11

Beautiful work Jörgen and nice to see your methodical approach. Or so it seems anyway, could be just a very methodical presentation 😉 

• Thanks 1

I finished Ludwig Sebastian's book where he told his adventures as the mechanic of Auto Union and Bernd Rosemeyer, so I dug straight into the biography by Elly Beinhorn Rosemeyer and Chris Nixon. It was first written in German by Elly soon after Bernd's fatal crash in 1938, and almost 50 years later, in 1986, published in English with added work by Chris Nixon, supported by Elly herself. It's very good reading.

AU21.jpg

Progress on the model is slow, partly due to work, partly due to every little part needing careful clean up, filler, sometimes repairs or in the odd case rebuilding. The worst offender so far is the branch of water pipes with its sixteen connections to the cylinder heads. Apart from being very crooked there was no way to make it fit well even after straightening. I started cutting it apart...

AU22.jpg

Soon it was in five pieces and fourteen of the feeder pipes discarded. The rebuild took longer, but here is the finished version, not perfect, but working.

AU23.jpg

AU24.jpg

I have now worked through all the parts to this stage, preparing and dry fitting, apart from the exhaust stacks...

AU25.jpg

The exhaust stacks will be a major challenge on their own. However they most certainly look worse than they are, so I'm going to give them a good work over and see what comes out of it.

AU26.jpg

• Like 12

Slowly something reminiscent of the exhaust stacks starts to emerge from the resin pieces. There are tiny air bubbles in critical points and it's near the limit of what can be done.

AU27.jpg

But I got something out the work in the end. Far from perfect, but they will do for priming and further work.

AU28.jpg

This fit will be good enough at this stage; they can be tweaked a bit during assembly if necessary.

AU29.jpg

AU30.jpg

So I now have a complete set of parts ready for a good coat of primer, followed by inspection, minor fillings and sanding.

AU31.jpg

• Like 10

All parts are now through a first priming session. As expected this revealed a number of pinholes and other minor stuff that needed attention and has now also been filled with the same primer. A lot of fine sanding is now waiting ahead.

AU32.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, JCH said:

REALLY enjoying watching this build.  Did you buy a new set of files with this kit?

Thanks. You do indeed need a good set of files, sanding sticks and paper here, and patience to use them. But it's worth it.

• Like 2

Every single part requires careful sanding of the primer to get them ready for paint. It's a major task that I have put off for a while, but I need to get it done. I decided to split the work and do some basic spraying of groups of parts as I get them ready. First are the parts to be sprayed body colour aluminium.

AU34.jpg

• Like 3