*done* Finland - A German medium bomber (1/3 of 2020)

vppelt68

By the way V-P. I'm impressed with the ease you are doing this build.  Seen as it is simply a scaled down version of my 1/48 kit you seem to be handling it much better than I am. I'm doing battle with the bomb load at the moment. The first effort was a mess and got binned,  so I grabbed them out of the nightfigher and started again. This time I'm taking my time and making sure each bomb is glued solid before adding the next. It's a pain, but I'm getting there. Yet you seem to be breezing through all these stages. I'm very interested in seeing how you get on with the final engine and gear bay assembly. 

How good was the fit?

• Like 1

Thanks Greg! Just a one pic update on what's up, Do(c). My new hobby seems to be pervert in-progress Finnish paint schemes. This time I decided to brush the Revell #9 Anthracite on before Humbrol #116 green. Straight on unwashed plastic without any primer, silly me...

2020-02-16_01-12-52

• Like 11

I seem to remember someone telling me that Revell #9 Anthracite was not to be trusted and to use humbrol 33 instead, after my attempt to use the same paint ended in a complete mess.

I doubt its the plastic and more like the paint.

Your build is very inspiring, i keep telling myself i dont need another Do17, but you are not helping at all !😂

Keep up the good work

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I seem to remember someone telling me that Revell #9 Anthracite was not to be trusted and to use humbrol 33 instead, after my attempt to use the same paint ended in a complete mess.

I doubt its the plastic and more like the paint.

Your build is very inspiring, i keep telling myself i dont need another Do17, but you are not helping at all !😂

Keep up the good work

cheers Pat 

+ 1 from me, the only can of Anthracite I owned caused a lot of issues when applying it and also if I had to paint over it. Needless to say it was binned. I can't get Revell colours here anymore since the only place in Canberra that stocked it closed about 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the very same Revell Anthracite tin served me well when I painted the Brewster. I actually like the slightly greyish hue in it, not being pure black like Humbrol 33. I hope I don't have to paint over it, though...

EDIT: if my previous post implied I had some trouble with the paint, I'm sorry I wasn't clear about it; the Revell enamel tins I've bought and then used lately are actually very good. The #9 was a pleasure to brush on too, no problems at all.

Quiz: Which one of these three distinquished associations does this picture associate with?

1) Key Atomic Beneficiaries of Mankind,

2) Society for More Coal Energy or

3) Society for Petroleum Industry Leaders?

2020-02-18_09-06-52

Correct answer is of course 3) SPIL. KABOM and SMOKE were close, though, when cleaning this mess. 1) because of the thinner fumes and 2) because of SWMBO. Luckily I managed to get some of this put to proper use too. The tail still has a fleck of unsanded seams and unpainted plastic; I had to leave a spot to grab the kit while painting it :coolio:.

2020-02-18_09-09-57

• Like 12

Nice going V.P, besides the environmental damage you've now caused with that paint spill. I might just have to sit out work for the day and protest about that!! 

The Dornier is really looking great and I like your colour combination. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I sniggered when I saw the spill - ”who is so clumsy?” - the next minute I splashed the floor with my precious Vallejo white grey :(

Your spill is quite helpful though, I’m looking for a paint match for the same fieldgreen colour and this helps. The stuff looks greener and darker on the model, is it real or due to light?

• Haha 2

See, the revenge for blaming me clumsy was instant :wicked:.

Actually, when painting larger surfaces I leave the old short screwdriver I use to stir paint sticking up in the tin as the paint often needs more stirring along the way. But, mea culpa anyway!

The paint does dry darker and greener as you noticed. In the pic above the paint is just brushed on and still, if not wet, at least moist. See my Brewster in the Gallery for what that exactly same tin of Hu #116 looks like when completely finished.

even with you minor spill (careful the EPA doesn't find out!) she is looking great in her colours.

I can't talk with regards to spills, I knocked over my bottle a Tamiya Extra Thin liquid cement a couple of days ago!! For a change nothing was in it's path!!!! :pray:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hi again. This is a wip pic from wednesday. I'm trying to show the benefits of toothbrush polishing a matte paintjob. The port wing is done and the contrast between two different paints has actually disappeared, compare it with the starboard wing for reference (ok, the lighting plays its tricks too, but:)

2020-02-19_11-37-52

Anyhoo now it's friday.

2020-02-21_12-44-33

The little DN still needs some detail painting and touchups.

2020-02-21_12-45-06

Not to mention the third layer of that yellow 😞

2020-02-21_12-47-43

Gotta praise ICM for the CLEAR and I mean CLEAR parts, well done!

So, when was this GB due to end? V-P

• Like 14

Thank you Jeroen, you're too kind and my pics are blurry 🙂. Don't scare me with the White, my next build will be a MTO Stuka - white fuselage band and wingtips :weep:. I will most likely begin it this weekend after the Dornier is wrapped up and forgotten. V-P

You're making rapid progress with this one and looking great with it. The polishing has worked wonders. As for the yellow; call it weathering ;)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Col. said:

As for the yellow; call it weathering ;)

Haha yes, I had actually forgotten a better way of painting the yellows. I once learned it by a mistake (forgot which tin I had used previously): one or two layers of more orangish Hu 154 Insignia Yellow for the base, finished with a layer of more lemonish Hu 24 Trainer yellow. I'll try that with the Dornier too.

I gotta keep busy with this, as the Lanc STGB thread moves to current GB:s tomorrow :yahoo: and I have a Stuka to build before that...

• Like 2

wow that does look great, nice work on the paint job.

"polishing with a toothbrush?" I sort of know what you're trying to do, but doesn't it mark the paintwork? You're using enamels aren't you?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking quite wonderful V-P, I've long hankered after a Do-17 kit, humming & harring between this & the Airfix one, I think you just sold me on the ICM one, maybe even a Finnish version if I can find one.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, the plastic is identical with the Luftwaffe bomber versions of the kit, and I believe also with the Z-10 night fighter kits reboxed by Revell (my bomber kit has all the night fighter parts included). SBS models has a nice decal set for Finnish Dorniers. But Do 17 was a Battle of Britain classic too :hmmm:

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

wow that does look great, nice work on the paint job.

"polishing with a toothbrush?" I sort of know what you're trying to do, but doesn't it mark the paintwork? You're using enamels aren't you?

Thanks Rich and it does indeed mark the finish. Quote @Col. "call it weathering" 😊

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

the plastic is identical with the Luftwaffe bomber versions of the kit, and I believe also with the Z-10 night fighter kits reboxed by Revell (my bomber kit has all the night fighter parts included). SBS models has a nice decal set for Finnish Dorniers.

Thanks V-P, that might be the way to go, I admit to not liking the look of the ICM Finnish roundels (?), all those right angled bits to add. :(

Steve.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Thanks Steve, the plastic is identical with the Luftwaffe bomber versions of the kit, and I believe also with the Z-10 night fighter kits reboxed by Revell (my bomber kit has all the night fighter parts included). SBS models has a nice decal set for Finnish Dorniers. But Do 17 was a Battle of Britain classic too :hmmm:

Thanks Rich and it does indeed mark the finish. Quote @Col. "call it weathering" 😊

Hmmm I figured that!!!  :doh:

AS I use now only acrylics I was wondering how much it knocks back the finish. You can do a similar thing with a cotton cloth.

I was more wondering what the effect using the toothbrush gives?

It you say "weathering" again there'll be trouble! :fight: :D

• Haha 3