Harvard II - Airfix 1/72

CedB

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

Any ideas how to cut this so that it fits please?

46627699395_9e795fa24e_z.jpg

Simple answer - haven't a clue! 

I'll be interested to see how you do it though, as I might have to do the same one day (although I have the Academy rather than Airfix kit, so it 'might' fit better!)

Keith

Edit - I might be tempted to cut the windscreen off and use the Airfix one...(or use the Airfix screen as a template to cut the bottom off the vac. one!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Any ideas how to cut this so that it fits please?

46627699395_9e795fa24e_z.jpg

Welcome to the dark art of vacforms!

You’ve got two options: The first is to get a round file and file away the bottom centre point of the front of the windscreen, as this will enable you to replicate the curve of the fuselage. Test fit regularly as you go: remember it’s always easier to remove plastic than try and add it back so go slowly 😉

Option 2: Make a masking tape template if the original kit part and use that as a guide - use very sharp small scissors (the nail type) for these sort of jobs and always measure thrice and cut once. 

Actually, there’s a third option: a combination of both 1 and 2...

As you’ve helpfully got a spare, there is some room for error but as long as you’re slow, careful and do plenty of test fitting, I reckon you won’t need the second... 

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

…use the Airfix screen as a template to cut the bottom off the vac. one!

Brilliant! Thanks Keith :) 

Thanks Simon and Tom for your advice too, really appreciated :) 

The vac form fits nicely over the top of the kit part (is that a good thing?):

33667043198_aa547d33a7_z.jpg

…so I carefully cut it to match:

32601294937_7f8a981b6f_z.jpg

The fuselage is flat on the top so I cut up the sides and then joined the cuts across the front. Seems to have done the job, and the vac form canopy fits over the Pavla frame and rear i/p:

46820210254_fbae70fea9_z.jpg

…unlike the kit part:

46820212354_323a444c95_z.jpg

Needs a bit of tidying but I think I'm happy.

Onwards!

• Like 12

It looks like you will need to cut away some of the fairing of upper fuselage behind the back seat to get the curve of the rear most portion of the clear part. Check your pics of the real one... you'll see what I mean. For the windscreen there might be a feint line for the shape on the moulding... IT should be just like the original kit part  more or less but thats the shape you want to achieve.

• Thanks 1

Wait for me, I know this was intended to be quick but really!

Going back to the first shot the pilots on board I have a question. " Who has control? "

That canopy looked like it was on backwards whichever way you placed it.

Carry on.

John

PS Talking of slow deliveries, I've now been waiting over two weeks for my Sabre book so I went back to ' my orders ' on Amazon yesterday and it said delivery by12th April. Strewth, it must be comping across the Channel on the back of a turtle rather than by rowing boat as I'd first thought.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Paul J said:

It looks like you will need to cut away some of the fairing of upper fuselage behind the back seat to get the curve of the rear most portion of the clear part. Check your pics of the real one... you'll see what I mean. For the windscreen there might be a feint line for the shape on the moulding... IT should be just like the original kit part  more or less but thats the shape you want to achieve.

Thanks Paul, great tips :) 

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work Ced!

K

Thanks Keith, especially for the 'template' idea :) 

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wait for me, I know this was intended to be quick but really!

Going back to the first shot the pilots on board I have a question. " Who has control? "

That canopy looked like it was on backwards whichever way you placed it.

Carry on.

John

PS Talking of slow deliveries, I've now been waiting over two weeks for my Sabre book so I went back to ' my orders ' on Amazon yesterday and it said delivery by12th April. Strewth, it must be comping across the Channel on the back of a turtle rather than by rowing boat as I'd first thought.

Hi John and welcome :) 

Who has control? Who knows… won't get political but for goodness sake :angry:

I think I've decided to brush paint this one to a ) use up some Humbrol pots and b ) resolve my dithering with how to mask the canopy. The rattle can will go back in the 'stash'.

The exhaust was very carefully cut from the block and brushed with 'old rust' and, when that was dry, thinned AK steel paste until the rust showed through:

46823971474_aa5d58b9f4_n.jpg 32605107637_b92f451005_n.jpg

The u/c supports have been removed:

47547808781_402180639e_n.jpg 47547813781_be7b307395_n.jpg

With some fettling the wings went on nicely:

47547880131_67e1141aec_z.jpg

Out tonight and then tomorrow morning it's 'The Wine Arts Trail' so I don't expect to be very capable in the afternoon.

I may get something done this afternoon.

• Like 13

Interesting method on the exhaust, I normally go the other way round.

This thing has wings already! :frantic:

Great job, Ced :clap:

Please hurry the primer/painting stage, that yellow plastic is really disturbing :wacko: :rofl:

Ciao

• Haha 2

Looking good Ced. Great work on the canopy - I never seem to get on well with vacform canopies.

A recent story to share, with all this talk of the donkey post: a couple of months ago I ordered something from Amazon Australia. It was being shipped from a warehouse 38km away. 2 days they said. Donkey speed, but the donkey would have been a bit tired after doing 19km a day. But it must have been absolutely knackered by the time it got here - according to the tracking, it missed a turn and kept going all the way to Welshpool, Western Australia, so when it got here 10 days later it had done a 6500km detour. Poor donkey, I hope it hitched a lift across the desert!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Interesting method on the exhaust, I normally go the other way round.

This thing has wings already! :frantic:

Great job, Ced :clap:

Please hurry the primer/painting stage, that yellow plastic is really disturbing :wacko: :rofl:

Ciao

"I normally go the other way round."? Ooer :wicked:

Usually I'd agree but, with the AK paste, I thought it safer to put wax on the paint rather than vice versa. Seemed to work OK.

Just for you Giorgio I've started painting over the yellow (se below)

19 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Haven't you been wearing sunglasses reading this thread, I have.

An hour after posting about slow deliveries the post lady arrived with a big package for me.  I knew it would work.

John

Please to hear the package arrived John :) You won't need the sunglasses for much longer.

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Bravo on the canopy Ced.

hat Yellow is a bit loud though.

No wonder @giemme wearing his sun glasses. LOL.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :D 

9 hours ago, zebra said:

Looking good Ced. Great work on the canopy - I never seem to get on well with vacform canopies.

A recent story to share, with all this talk of the donkey post: a couple of months ago I ordered something from Amazon Australia. It was being shipped from a warehouse 38km away. 2 days they said. Donkey speed, but the donkey would have been a bit tired after doing 19km a day. But it must have been absolutely knackered by the time it got here - according to the tracking, it missed a turn and kept going all the way to Welshpool, Western Australia, so when it got here 10 days later it had done a 6500km detour. Poor donkey, I hope it hitched a lift across the desert!

Thanks zebra :) Stew told me a tip with vac form - use a new scalpel blade and repeatedly stroke it gently around the outline you want; takes time but avoids those embarrassing 'veering off' accidents. 

Weird Donkey story too - I guess there's a lot of room to get lost in Aus…

A bit done yesterday afternoon. I've started brushing the Humbrol 24 and I like the way it's sort of 'weathering itself':

47501342232_cc7a44a8e8_z.jpg

I like the way this paint comes out 'a bit dirty'.

I've also painted some Filmoplast for the canopy framing:

46830438474_f6189b58d7_z.jpg

Fingers crossed.

I suppose I should do something about the ident lights on the underside? They're quite big on some reference shots, but were they 'original'? Do they go (from the front) red, green, amber?

Also, what are the 'holes' in the flaps? Are they original? You can see them here. Might need a transfer for those.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Also, what are the 'holes' in the flaps? Are they original?

No, using Google translate, they are a mod from it's days as a camera ship during C-130 dropping trials, I think with the RAF.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

On 07/04/2019 at 10:32, giemme said:

That looks a propre yellow, Ced! :goodjob:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - less harsh on the eyes eh? :) 

On 07/04/2019 at 12:39, stevehnz said:

No, using Google translate, they are a mod from it's days as a camera ship during C-130 dropping trials, I think with the RAF.

Steve.

Thanks Steve - no holes, yay! :) 

On 07/04/2019 at 13:51, Spookytooth said:

Perhaps those holes were to lighten the aircraft?

The Yellow looks cool, no so harsh.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

Day off yesterday but I did finish the yellow:

47516961172_2443293d65_z.jpg

…and started the framing:

33693087788_ce7fe234c4_z.jpg

The vac form had a coat of Aqua Gloss first. Those bits appear to be narrower on the reference shot, other bits are a bit wider and there are two opening windows for the pilot.

More later.

• Like 8

Looking good Ced, my example of this is suddenly seeming like a better option after seeing this build & @Paul J's one. I was doing some musing about the one with the holey flaps & got a vision of a Harvard in full on dive a bit like a Dauntless dive bomber, tracking a load just chucked out the back of a Herc while a camera man in the back filmed the behavior of parachutes etc. Goodness knows what actually happened but that was my thought. You just carry on without the holes, it's looking just swell without them :D

Steve.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I was doing some musing about the one with the holey flaps & got a vision of a Harvard in full on dive a bit like a Dauntless dive bomber, tracking a load just chucked out the back of a Herc while a camera man in the back filmed the behavior of parachutes etc. Goodness knows what actually happened but that was my thought.

Did you mean this Steve?

HARVARD.jpg

Looks like one for @TheBaron

Full story here!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not seen those perforated flaps on a Harvard before!!! Very much like a Dauntless! Does it still have them?? 

Nice to see the progress so far. I thought about doing the framing similar to yours but using the light grey . However am sticking to striped decals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Not seen those perforated flaps on a Harvard before!!! Very much like a Dauntless! Does it still have them?? 

Nice to see the progress so far. I thought about doing the framing similar to yours but using the light grey . However am sticking to striped decals.

Thanks Paul :) Looking forward to seeing how the decals go.

From what I can see FT375 has gone through a series of mods. The holey flaps seem to have been fitted with a small aerial 'blade' behind the cockpit, later replaced with a larger one when the '50' insignia were added. My model is of the, er, cleaner scheme…

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

thanks Ced, thats blooming interesting, I was closer to fact than I thought I might be, so was the pilot of KF183. :D

Steve.

You're welcome Steve.

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Defnitely! Looks good now :clap: 

Ciao

18 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Seconded ( here we go again? )

John

Thanks Giorgio and John :) 

Canopy framing completed this morning. Here it is before burnishing and showing those nice tiny scissors I rescued after my small op:

46846747374_8cb374b9b4_z.jpg

I've stuck it on now and it's drying. My first time using Bill's favourite 560 canopy glue:

47517766792_be0ca7621b_z.jpg

I need to touch up the canopy and blend it in later. I did find the flexibility of the vac form a pain - it's not quite straight and the frames highlight the dents bits. Grrrr.

Then it's gloss coat and transfers.

Then fit the exhaust, wheels and landing light covers.

Nearly there.

• Like 13