Harvard II - Airfix 1/72

CedB

I'm hoping this one counts as a trainer - it is very yellow:

32571392227_f6cfe73c83_z.jpg

33636961208_4ce486e73e_z.jpg

Note that the exhaust is already painted. It's a molded copy of the original part as I used it on my Wacky Wabbit build. Sadly I note that my intended subject, FT375 (it's yellow) now had the cabin heater modified exhaust but I may build this 'in its original form' :whistle:

Of course the canopy isn't right:

32571407157_b3a8f86695_z.jpg

I'll have a think about that.

The kit transfers might not survive I'm afraid:

47513658121_9d378c608f_z.jpg

But I do have the Pavla cockpit that I decided not to use on Wacky so I may as well see if that fits:

32571416377_b647f31cfd_z.jpg

Some nice details on that:

47460912252_e8e1213b1f_z.jpg

• Like 20

This should be interesting. Trying to get the mojo back and have also gone for the Airfix Harvard. From the poly bag CAP markings one. Hoping my shaky hand syndrome won't hamper the build....got to try and beat these setbacks.... I also have the Pavla set you show and can tell you all those seat 'pegs' of the kit will need removing and the floor narrowing down to fit the Airfix kit. Also the rear bulkhead section needs to be trimmed to fit the fuselage contours as I have found out from doing dry runs!! Lots of trial fitting to be expected.  

Those decals look as if they might still be OK. Worth testing with an item you might not use.

I have a  spare vac canopy you can have that will be correct with the elongated look at the rear end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I note that my intended subject, FT375 (it's yellow) now had the cabin heater modified exhaust but I may build this 'in its original form'

If you want to do it ''properly'' Ced, Hannants have the CMR conversion set in stock, which has the exhaust and I 'think' also has the correct canopy - it's only a fiver too (although you'll have to buy something else to get over their minimum spend!)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR-CS68

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooooooh very nice. Boscombe Down had a yellow and very loud Harvard that used to rattle around the skies over Amesbury. Looking forward to your build. 

• Like 1

Welcome everyone!

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

First here, got to love the Harvard so I'll follow along if I may

Roger

Welcome Roger :) I must admit I had thought the Harvard to be a bit of a 'sturdy bird' and I didn't have much love for her until my ride in Wacky Wabbit. @brianj1uk kindly allowed me to join him on the pre-flight walkaround and boy, does she have some nice features. A true pilot's aircraft and, I think, the training 'plane for all our WWII heroes.

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Rats! Beat me to it, but only just.

Sausages for lunch today.

John

EDIT. Actually they're chipolatas, sorry to mislead you.

Hi John :) Chipolatas? Don't do yourself down old boy… size doesn't matter :wicked:

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Sausages John?

We have not started the build and food s mentioned.

I will get some rolls in.

Oh Yeah, might as well sit in on this one too.

Simon.

Hi Simon - I hope you enjoy the rolls (fnaar, snurf snurf).

There has been beer and wine tonight. Mrs B encouraged me to go to a 'pub choir' and I have to say it was good to clear the tubes. And the pub. Some people eh? I like to think I can hold a tune, if only in a bucket… :D 

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

This should be interesting. Trying to get the mojo back and have also gone for the Airfix Harvard. From the poly bag CAP markings one. Hoping my shaky hand syndrome won't hamper the build....got to try and beat these setbacks.... I also have the Pavla set you show and can tell you all those seat 'pegs' of the kit will need removing and the floor narrowing down to fit the Airfix kit. Also the rear bulkhead section needs to be trimmed to fit the fuselage contours as I have found out from doing dry runs!! Lots of trial fitting to be expected.  

Those decals look as if they might still be OK. Worth testing with an item you might not use.

I have a  spare vac canopy you can have that will be correct with the elongated look at the rear end.

Thanks Paul, I'll watch out for those 'gotchas' :) 

Very kind of you to offer the spare canopy but Keith has enticed me to the CMR conversion (see below). Appreciate though, thanks.

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ooh, fairly quiet so far, won't last long...

And who will start the raucous, I wonder :hmmm:

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If you want to do it ''properly'' Ced, Hannants have the CMR conversion set in stock, which has the exhaust and I 'think' also has the correct canopy - it's only a fiver too (although you'll have to buy something else to get over their minimum spend!)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR-CS68

There we go! Of course I've ordered it, and a Hurricane Mk V to make up the order. I feel I need more Hurris.

Strangely I couldn't find a single entry on the web that says what's actually in the set but hey, no pain no gain eh?

Now we just have to wait for the Norfolk Donkey post to ship the thing…

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks like a fun build!

Regards,

Adrian

Fun? You want fun? Oh, OK then, we aim to please :)

6 hours ago, philp said:

I am in the door and watching with my usual curiosity.

Come on in Phil, plenty of room. No one ever sits in the front row :) 

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh nice, a CedB build im actually early to, taking a seat now. 

Welcome Dennis, you're very welcome :) 

4 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Ooooooh very nice. Boscombe Down had a yellow and very loud Harvard that used to rattle around the skies over Amesbury. Looking forward to your build. 

Thanks HB :) I have to say I think all Harvards are noisy*, but I think this is one of the Boscombe set :)

* The prop tips exceed the sound barrier apparently, hence the 'blattering' noise. Huh, not very clever for a warbird eh?

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Wow, still in time for a near-front row seat. Ready! :popcorn: 🍺

Ciao

Welcome Giorgio :) 

All I need to do now is find something to do while I wait for the AM.

Cockpit. Right :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ced,

I'm going to be out for lunch tomorrow - can you remember to post a link to the RFI so I can catch it when I get back ?  thanks!

P.S.  Did I make it onto page 1?

I did I did I did     :penguin:     I made it onto page 1 !

Edited by hendie
  • Haha 8

Hi Ced. I see you've had a look at my CNRC Harvard. The big fat exhaust you see fitted is the one you get with the CMR set. Also note the CMR set has the rear upper fuselage mod as part of the vac form canopy with an antenna of some kind. Not sure if this is on the Boscombe one so you may need to check this bit out.... If not needed just chop it off!

• Thanks 1

Sorry Ced, I was a bit vaque with my post on the CMR set, what I meant to say was I 'think' it has the correct canopy for an RAF Harvard (at least the one I want to build from the Freightdog 'Weekend Warriors' decal sheet), but as Paul points out above not all RAF Harvard canopies are the same. 

Anyway, this is what's in my set;

IMG_1355

Keith

• Thanks 1

"I like to think I can hold a tune, if only in a bucket...."

Why did that phrase remind me of

I'm in!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Harley John said:

Hello, what's going on here then? A Harvard...in yellow....with added bits...oh go on then! Any seats left at the front?

Welcome John :) 

16 hours ago, hendie said:

Ced,

I'm going to be out for lunch tomorrow - can you remember to post a link to the RFI so I can catch it when I get back ?  thanks!

P.S.  Did I make it onto page 1?

I did I did I did     :penguin:     I made it onto page 1 !

:rofl2: Welcome hendie.

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

Hi Ced. I see you've had a look at my CNRC Harvard. The big fat exhaust you see fitted is the one you get with the CMR set. Also note the CMR set has the rear upper fuselage mod as part of the vac form canopy with an antenna of some kind. Not sure if this is on the Boscombe one so you may need to check this bit out.... If not needed just chop it off!

Thanks Paul - I'll look up the references and get the scalpel ready! :) 

I've found quite a few photos of FT375 including this one, now my desktop picture:

ft375-royal-air-force-north-american-at-

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Sorry Ced, I was a bit vaque with my post on the CMR set, what I meant to say was I 'think' it has the correct canopy for an RAF Harvard (at least the one I want to build from the Freightdog 'Weekend Warriors' decal sheet), but as Paul points out above not all RAF Harvard canopies are the same. 

Anyway, this is what's in my set;

[snip photo]

Keith

Thanks Keith, much appreciated - it's very kind of you to get it out for me (fnaar!) :wicked: 

5 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

"I like to think I can hold a tune, if only in a bucket...."

Why did that phrase remind me of

https://g.co/kgs/wp9R3E

I'm in!

Welcome Ian - holes in my bucket? Not here :D

Cockpit. Started by cutting the resin off the blocks:

32578939867_c9f0549b03_z.jpg

Looks like it goes here:

40556581003_059d871a46_z.jpg

That locating pin needs to come off and these trimmed flush to support the side panels:

46799065964_d6d179ed4e_z.jpg

The resin floor needed lots of trimming and dry fitting but it fits pretty well now:

33646112448_04fa150e73_z.jpg

Now I need to ponder how to fit the side panels…

• Like 10

Something doesn't look right with that cockpit floor, before you go any further I'd check the seat locations against where the pilots should be in the cockpit opening, I suspect the whole unit needs to move aft so the rear shelf is at least partly if not wholly under the rear fuselage decking.

Whilst we're at it, what's happening with the rudder pedals? the front cockpit pedals are both at the forward end of the heel boards, but the aft cockpit pedals are right at the back of the heel boards. Surely with the rudder neutral they sholud all be in the middle?

• Like 2

On 4/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, Spookytooth said:

We have not started the build and food s mentioned.

Ain't it attracting magically to everyone, Simon?

post2.jpg

( Edit: Not every turtle can be fed with a banana! Tropical ones can do eat this sometimes.)

Hello Ced, good start; I will look at this one, but scrolling down the forum to the GB is really exhausting :whistle:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dave Swindell is right The floor part does need to go back a bit as mentioned. You will need to do some trimming to the bulkhead as I mentioned before. 

All this has got my modelling rhythm going, shaky left hand arm or no shaky... I am not giving up... so take a peek at my build so far in WIP.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Something doesn't look right with that cockpit floor, before you go any further I'd check the seat locations against where the pilots should be in the cockpit opening, I suspect the whole unit needs to move aft so the rear shelf is at least partly if not wholly under the rear fuselage decking.

Whilst we're at it, what's happening with the rudder pedals? the front cockpit pedals are both at the forward end of the heel boards, but the aft cockpit pedals are right at the back of the heel boards. Surely with the rudder neutral they sholud all be in the middle?

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

Dave Swindell is right The floor part does need to go back a bit as mentioned. You will need to do some trimming to the bulkhead as I mentioned before. 

All this has got my modelling rhythm going, shaky left hand arm or no shaky... I am not giving up... so take a peek at my build so far in WIP.  

Thanks Guys! I'll have a proper look at Paul's WiP tomorrow but a quick view (and follow) looks like he's sorted it for me :) 

Dave I think the rudder pedals, or the heel boards, are just wrong :( 

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ain't it attracting magically to everyone, Simon?

[snip picture]

( Edit: Not every turtle can be fed with a banana! Tropical ones can do eat this sometimes.)

Hello Ced, good start; I will look at this one, but scrolling down the forum to the GB is really exhausting :whistle:

Thanks Ben - at least it's not sausages! :D 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooooh that’s more like it. Page one, I’ll try and keep up this time. 🙃

Custard on on the menu too. Lovely.

Johnny.

Welcome Johnny :) 

In case you're wondering why I'm having problems, here are the Pavla instructions:

40559263633_2aaaa1f146_z.jpg

Not very helpful about where to put bits in the kit eh?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

here are the Pavla instructions:

Yep, pure ikea style. Have Hellcat detail set 1:72 for the cockpit and wheel wells. (Should you put the cockpit floor into the left wheel well  and so on.... Grottig!!!)  My advice: Just put the parts, where they make most sense.

• Thanks 1