F4U Corsair STGB Chat

33 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I haven't built a Corsair in a very long time.  Maybe something French?  Suez Crisis?

A French Corsair would be a great addition. Though theres always Argentinian, El Salvadoran, and Honduras.  :whistle:

• Like 1

True, true...but I already have the Suez decal sheet and a SMER F4U-1 that is just itching to be built.  

I'd have to scratch build the hard points and the HVAR rockets...😁''

And digging into that sheet of decals leads to Hunters too...!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

And digging into that sheet of decals leads to Hunters too...!

RAF Hunters in the Suez will be a good option for the Interceptor GB :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Col. said:

the Interceptor GB

When is that?  Soon?  Aha...

Begins mid-November...Good.  I have several Hunters I would like to build.  I'll keep them until then.

• Like 2

Looking at online sources, etc...I see that the French Corsairs had, almost without exception, a 4-bladed propeller. The SMER kit has a 3 blade variant.  Could I scratch build a 4th blade and realign the other three?  Dare I?  😁  The photo below is taken from one of many websites I have looked at.  I didn't take it nor do I own it. Nevertheless, I drew all over it.😉

49954558281_cf345e30f5_c_d.jpg

There is a chin-cowl intake on the F4U-7 (Milliput) and some extra doo-dads on the spine and belly.  So the list looks like this:

1- SMER F4U-1

2- scratch build:

new prop;

chin cowl intake;

8-10 outer wing hard points;

radio antennae doo-dads along the spine and belly;

HVAR rockets (8)

I have looked at the canopy and it seems to be 'bubbled' enough for my uses.  

--John

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Looking at online sources, etc...I see that the French Corsairs had, almost without exception, a 4-bladed propeller. The SMER kit has a 3 blade variant.  Could I scratch build a 4th blade and realign the other three?  Dare I?  😁  The photo below is taken from one of many websites I have looked at.  I didn't take it nor do I own it. Nevertheless, I drew all over it.😉

There is a chin-cowl intake on the F4U-7 (Milliput) and some extra doo-dads on the spine and belly.  So the list looks like this:

1- SMER F4U-1

2- scratch build:

new prop;

chin cowl intake;

HVAR rockets (8)

--John

Hell john heres a more comprehensive layout. 

https://www.historynet.com/vought-f4u-7-corsair.htm

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-last-propeller-pulled-corsairs-f4u.html?m=1

Dennis

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

You are becoming a very naughty young man :D

It takes constant practice but is worthwhile work :D 

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

When is that?  Soon?  Aha...

Begins mid-November...Good.  I have several Hunters I would like to build.  I'll keep them until then.

Cool :D 

19 minutes ago, John Masters said:

1- SMER F4U-1

2- scratch build:

new prop;

chin cowl intake;

HVAR rockets (8)

--John

Far be it from me to encourage stash increases :innocent: but the Italeri kit will cover all those changes for you :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John Masters said:

1- SMER F4U-1

2- scratch build:

new prop;

chin cowl intake;

HVAR rockets (8)

--John

John,

The French used AU-1 and F4U-7 Corsairs (mainly the latter but definitely some of the former), these had metal wings not the fabric covered outer wings of the F4U-1, these aircraft were armed with cannon too.  Likewise the fuselage is the later F4U-5 airframe, the canopy is more bubbled and there's a fairing on the fuselage behind the canopy too.

The forward shape is a bit more complex than just adding a chin scoop, viewed from the front it's not circular it has the same bulges as the AU-1, I thought I could describe it but somebody has already done a far better job, Tommy @Tailspin Turtle has already covered the subject in his guide which can be found here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

the Italeri kit will cover all those changes for you :whistle:

Yes...I know...but I would like to decrease both the stash and spending.  

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

The forward shape is a bit more complex than just adding a chin scoop

You see?  All of this is excellent information Wez and I thank you deeply.  It does not dissuade me from buying the Italeri kit, however...😉

Perhaps I should just build the SMER kit OOB...RNZAF markings and all...nothing wrong with that!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Perhaps I should just build the SMER kit OOB...RNZAF markings and all...nothing wrong with that!

Sounds like a good plan to me John.

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

Sounds like a good plan to me John.

You are all very bad people.  😁  

I have had to increase my stash and decrease my wallet...The Big Yellow Store loves me.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, John Masters said:

There's plenty oportunity for an interesting model in RNZAF colours ;) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

You are all very bad people.  😁  

I have had to increase my stash and decrease my wallet...The Big Yellow Store loves me.

So does that mean we'll see you build two Corsairs in the GB? :) 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Col. said:

So does that mean we'll see you build two Corsairs in the GB? :) 

Bad, bad people....there was time when I only built aircraft that flew before 1936...then I came here.  🤪

Yes...I suppose, if only to fulfill this sacrifice to the gods of modelling.  As my grandmother would have said when confronted by a particular tasty meal, "Well my dear, I guess I must choke it down!" 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm looking to join this GB fairly soon with a Hobby Boss F4F-4 in 1/72, I quite fancy the Vmf-323 scheme in the kit. A query I have though concerns the underwing rockets, I seem to recall reading that the kit was wrong in that the rocket mounts should be staggered but try as I can, I can't find anything about that out there & all the photos I'm finding show them in line, which is what I'll go for lacking any other evidence. 

Steve.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm looking to join this GB fairly soon with a Hobby Boss F4F-4 in 1/72, I quite fancy the Vmf-323 scheme in the kit. A query I have though concerns the underwing rockets, I seem to recall reading that the kit was wrong in that the rocket mounts should be staggered but try as I can, I can't find anything about that out there & all the photos I'm finding show them in line, which is what I'll go for lacking any other evidence. 

Steve.

Let me finish some stuff up and will get you a few photo’s. BTW the -4’s were very similar layout to the 1d’s rockets. The -4b’s having the cannon armament had the staggered rockets. I believe the DeathRattlers had -4’s with 6 .50’s in the wings. 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/VMF323/images/Vought-F4U-4-Corsair-VMF-323-White-WS5-and-WS6-at-MCAS-El-Toro-during-1949-01.jpg

-4B

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F4U-4B_Corsair_of_VMF-214_aboard_USS_Sicily_(CVE-118)_off_Korea,_in_1950_(80-G-419929).jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Dennis, I knew I'd seen it somewhere but searching as I was for photos of VMF-323 machines, I was only getting the straight ones. Now to decide if I want to do rockets rails or the long pylons, the kit has the latter.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hey everyone Please don't think Im a rivet counter or anything that drastic. Nothing major here but Ive noticed that some members have confused the twin wasp engines with the Double Wasp’s. The Pratt & Whitney R-2800 was the Double wasp. Where as the P&W R-1830 series were the Twin wasp engines.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-2800_Double_Wasp

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-1830_Twin_Wasp

Im just as guilty of doing it sometines.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of engines, the exhaust pipes that are seen on the underside, are these circular in diameter, and the openings appear oblong because of the angle they have been cut?   Or are the ends oblong a bit too?

The below is from a Goodyear FG-1, so maybe different from the F4U-1D?

corsair_exhaust_stubs.jpg

regards,

Jack

2 hours ago, JackG said:

The below is from a Goodyear FG-1, so maybe different from the F4U-1D?

shouldn't be, same plane version built by a different factory.   I've never seen anything to suggest any visual differences between a -1 Corsair built by Vought, Brewster or Goodyear. (apart from -1A, -1D type variations) and no memory of any of mention in @Dana Bell  books on the early Corsairs, and they do deal with this kind of detail. 

• Thanks 1