F4U Corsair STGB Chat

Forgive me if its already been posted, i have a couple of querys, I will be entering the gb (i shall post up later),I've made a start over the last few days and have taken pictures, I'm  doing a 48th tamiya bircage, a blacksheep vmf214,white 93,  circa1943, 

First am i right in thinking the tail hook should be left off, do i need to fill in the step hole on the flap, colours? Tamiya give mix colours does mr hobby do a single upper colour, what is the fs number for the upper colour, thanks 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

I'm  doing a 48th tamiya bircage, a blacksheep vmf214,white 93,  circa1943, 

First am i right in thinking the tail hook should be left off, do i need to fill in the step hole on the flap, colours? Tamiya give mix colours does mr hobby do a single upper colour, what is the fs number for the upper colour, thanks 

Excellent another Sheep build. Yes on the hook, yes on the step in the flap, colors should be the 3/4 tone white, Intermediate blue, non-spec blue, GSB. If you have a photo post it so we can help analyze the demarcation in the scheme. Here is a good thread, the color should be ANA 607/FS15042 or 606, the post war is ANA 623. Though i opted for the post war color to stay 100% lacquer. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you have a photo post it so we can help analyze the demarcation in the scheme. Here is a good thread, the color should be ANA 607/FS15042 or 606, the post war is ANA 623.

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

what is the fs number for the upper colour,

the link explains it, but for clarity.

ANA is the ww2 standard.  ANA = Army Navy Aircraft.   

FS 595 is a post war US Government approved colors system.

You will commonly see see  ANA623 = FS15042.  ANA623 is wartime Gloss Sea Blue GSB,  and was replace in 1947 by FS 15042 GSB, as the ANA color tended to fade.

They are similar, but NOT the same color.

ANA606 and 607 are also referred to as being FS15042 (or 25042 and 35042) the first numeral denotes the paint sheen 1=gloss, 2= sating, 3 = matt.

They are NOT FS 15042 either.

The linked thread contains accurate information supplied by noted US colors researcher Dana Bell.    Mostly this is missed, and by model paint companies as well.  (if it lists paint as  ANA623/FS15042, at least one of the shades is wrong) 

The only company I know of that makes separate accurate colors for ANA606, 607, 623 and FS15042 is colourcoats.  

I have been meaning to try out some Tamiya recipes for ANA 606, 607 and 623 for my own use.   

Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue is way too green,  @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies memorably described ANA623 as a

On 01/07/2019 at 21:34, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

fairly dull, smokey, greyish blue.

@Mike Starmer  made a mix 

On 02/07/2019 at 16:38, Mike Starmer said:

I matched Glossy Sea Blue 623 in Elliott's USN colours book with 4 x Humbrol 77 + 1 x Humbrol 68.  The book sample is not full gloss, more satin finish.  A coat of satin varnish provided the required effect. 

77 is Sea Blue, 68 is purple.

Apologies for the digressions, but it's a subject where the wrong information is usually the most common available...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle and @Troy Smith ,thanks for the response i appreciate it, i do have photos of the aircraft ,alas bw ones, i shall post up tomorrow,with  links or pics , with my starter thread I've been totally busy today, sorry,  troy ,your post explains a lot, thanks 

Dennis do you have a link  for a picture of the tail wheel with the hook removed?

Thanks again gents 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hewy said:

a picture of the tail wheel with the hook removed?

Here you go Hewy...m3tZLeH.jpg

Its an easy thing just cut it at the base sand/file smooth and Bobs your mothers Brother.MztmU1d.jpg

pWEnFYc.jpg

This one ⬇️ was stateside so it didnt only happen overseas. 

TsW17DZ.jpg

Dennis

• Like 3

3 hours ago, uncletommy said:

Had something ready to go and then bam!  The old heart attack.  Afraid I'm going to have to drop out of this one too.  More info here:

Apologies!

We understand Tommy... Please take all the time needed for a full recovery. Health is way more important than some bits of plastic and glue. Please feel free to chime in and visit from time to time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome to the Latin American Corsair Club! :) 

M<any thanks.  It would be a shame to not build at least two of these...

I have the Hasagawa F4U-1D kit for at least one.  For this GB I am thinking of #6 but that crazy camo (#7-8) would be a superb challenge for painting...

There is a NMF as well...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, John Masters said:

For this GB I am thinking of #6 but that crazy camo (#7-8) would be a superb challenge for painting...

All good but #7 or #8 would be amazing. Any photos around of the real thing?

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

note the pic Dennis linked is EX Salvodorean,  and is looking worse for wear

this looks like a 'in service' shot

Vought-FG-1D-Corsair-Escuadrilla-2-FAS-2

the camo blends in well ;) 

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to come into this STGB with my very old (only 21 years) 1/48 Tamiya F4U-ID. The plan is to do a US Glossy Blue subject from the January to August 1945 period. Still deciding on the final subject and getting organised.

Question for you. Tyres? Seems huge variation in F4U-1D tyres on US carriers - ribbed (or is it smooth?), diamond and what looks like a chubby diamond. Also the classic two different tyres fitted to the same aircraft. Any rhyme or reason? VF or VMF? Any thoughts on this would help. Thanks in advance.

Ray

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Ray... Much like any other aircraft there were official reasons for having treadless tires vs treaded tires. That rarely lasted past the official files and paper requirements. Combat use and wear & tear would have them use what ever was available. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard Ray... Much like any other aircraft there were official reasons for having treadless tires vs treaded tires. That rarely lasted past the official files file and paper requirements. Combat use and wear & tear would have them use what ever was available. 

Dennis,

Thanks for the welcome. I thought as much with regard to the tyres. Since I made this post I decided on the subject and have good photos of my chosen subject with diamond pattern tyres. Placed the order today for some aftermarket. 

Ray.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say I'm going to skip this GB. I'd got hold of a kit and decals for it, but to be honest I just have too many other things I'd rather be building at the moment so can't really work up the enthusiasm for it. The Corsair will make it onto my bench at some point in the future.

cheers

Julian

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, zebra said:

I'm sorry to say I'm going to skip this GB. I'd got hold of a kit and decals for it, but to be honest I just have too many other things I'd rather be building at the moment so can't really work up the enthusiasm for it. The Corsair will make it onto my bench at some point in the future.

cheers

Julian

Im sorry to see you or anyone bow out, but Id rather see it sit and wait than not get the attention she deserves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im sorry to see you or anyone bow out, but Id rather see it sit and wait than not get the attention she deserves. 

Thanks Dennis. It'll be back!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd put a little message out, apologies to all because I have done very little commenting or liking on other peoples builds during this GB.  When it started I had little to no motivation, what with the world being up in the air.  I'm now getting back into it, and enjoying it again with three builds currently on the go, I'm just still struggling a bit with focusing on things.  My routine is all to cock still, I vary rarely leave the house as I'm working from home full time, and unless I need to go somewhere I'm of the mindset 'why should I risk my, and others health' etc.  So I'm not finding as much time to go on the forum despite being at home more, as I'm doing all kinds of hobbies for variety.  But know that I'm there in spirit, and I'm sure you are all doing a cracking job :)

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I just thought I'd put a little message out, apologies to all because I have done very little commenting or liking on other peoples builds during this GB.  When it started I had little to no motivation, what with the world being up in the air.  I'm now getting back into it, and enjoying it again with three builds currently on the go, I'm just still struggling a bit with focusing on things.  My routine is all to cock still, I vary rarely leave the house as I'm working from home full time, and unless I need to go somewhere I'm of the mindset 'why should I risk my, and others health' etc.  So I'm not finding as much time to go on the forum despite being at home more, as I'm doing all kinds of hobbies for variety.  But know that I'm there in spirit, and I'm sure you are all doing a cracking job :)

Paul

No worries Paul These are Strange times for sure. Health of mind, body, and spirit are more important than some bits of plastic and glue. Take your time as its all about fun here not finishing. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

struggling a bit with focusing on things.

I'm with you 100% on that Paul, I'm finding it very hard to keep focused on anything at all and my modelling has slowed right down.

So don't worry mate you are far from alone, pop in when you feel up to it don't feel any pressure to have to be building models, as Dennis says this is only a hobby, and when it is forced it stops being any fun.

Craig.

• Like 2