Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I hope it hasn't given too many people the wobbles!

Hopefully not, but these creatures are cleaning the planet. You should think about that.  There isn't anything (useful) to hunt them as  like as for the sharks at sea now imho,  but maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.  The future nature will tell us. Hopefully not!  Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

aving used revell paints I would say just cut them with water... or just don’t use them, I’m not a fan, they are just way too think and don’t level very well.

Yep, Revell colours were good, when they were enamels a long time ago and then mostly for the german RAL- system. But nothing else left.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, perdu said:

Book Club Beer

I'll drink to that

🍻

16 hours ago, 71chally said:

Ill read to that :book:

Thanks Bill and James - a good time was had by all! :)

17 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looking good in it's war paint

Roger

Thanks Roger - weird though eh? Painted to be scary, probably... :)

15 hours ago, rob85 said:

Enjoy the book club beer!

having used revell paints I would say just cut them with water... or just don’t use them, I’m not a fan, they are just way too think and don’t level very well. In my opinion that is, other my vary.

Rob

Thanks Rob :) Cut with water, OK I'll try that if I ever use them again. Some of them are nice, others not so...

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Im off to retest the new local

Info follows

laters

Let us know what it's like Bill - always good to support your local :)

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Beer truly and well deserved 👏

Acrylics, brush painted: give me Lifecolor and/or Italeri-Vallejo all the time. But that's just me :whistle:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - I'm with you on the Lifecolor / Vallejo for acrylics :)

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yep, Revell colours were good, when they were enamels a long time ago and then mostly for the german RAL- system. But nothing else left.

Thanks Benedikt - Revell enamels? Didn't know they did those :)

Well it's probably not a good idea to try modelling with a slight hangover but hey, a man's gotta do...

What are these things? W... Wee... Wheels? I don't do wheels... they're really fiddly aren't they? Managed to encourage this into place as the location points are really clear and 'solid':

41165950214_642a63352e_z.jpg

What's this though?

41166055924_74577ee547_z.jpg

None of the bits fit... that's just weird. Oh no, wait, they've turned the model around and this is the other side. Right, u/c insertion method #1, tube glue on the ends, hold the bits together and wiggle it into the hole:

40984453345_1f9abed2d7_z.jpg

For future builders I shoved the 'V' bit 'between' the fuselage and the other bit and the same with the strut. This positions the rear of the 'V' half in and half out of the rear bit of the part that was already in the well. Clear as mud, I know. It does seem to have given me two legs that are, at least, the same distance from the wings:

41840606752_1b37bff931_n.jpg 41840612262_f7b72c4f3b_n.jpg

... and they look straight:

28013813778_6fb37cff45_z.jpg

... but, as we know, nothing's straight on this thing.

I'll leave it to dry and then attach the wheels. THEN we'll see if it sits properly.

If it doesn't, I'll need some help on what to do!

• Like 14

Thanks James - good to know!

The slightly flattened wheels were added:

41887365341_2a5a7c04a5_z.jpg

... and I held my breath and looked from the front:

41887401111_c20d562c5b_z.jpg

Looks OK to me - phew!

Now I'm playing juggle the sprues sticking on the small bits. There are lots. In retrospect I should have gone through the instructions as some bits are unlikely to fall off and now need painting.

Ho hum.

• Like 20

Thanks Benedikt - yep, very like an insect :)

Thanks Håkan, plenty more to come! :)

I've now glued on all the bits apart from the weapons ready for a touch up:

41858208582_28d4db887f_z.jpg

27032646697_9fb8903cf8_z.jpg

41001907045_5066b25f2b_z.jpg

I'll need to be very gentle now - gulp.

• Like 7

Touched up and glossed up:

41903908871_2c175902a5_z.jpg

Next job is to (gulp) apply those Tiger transfers, let them dry and then cut the doors (and other open bits) open prior to fitting the struts etc.

I may be some time while I build up my courage...

• Like 14

Join me in my nightmare - large THICK decals over a bumpy surface where several of the parts need to be 'cut out'. (Remember I'd glued them in with latex glue for painting?)

This is how thick they are:

28035229948_b6c70fe52d_z.jpg

You can see the two-part door under there (just) and, if you look closely at the bottom right hand hinge, some excess latex. Rats.

I cut the transfer with a new #15 and gently prised the door open:

27036433467_abe9585ca7_z.jpg

... removed the excess glue and stroked down the transfer. It was then that I noticed that the window masks were still on. Hmmm. Were the windows blanked over or just painted with the Tiger? Who knows (not me). I removed the mask on the back one:

41005843445_15895bd21a_z.jpg

... and removed all the masks on the other side before applying the transfer and cutting as before:

41187859504_267b930f41_z.jpg

Everything's been sloshed with Daco strong now and will be left alone while I do the weapons. After a lie down...

• Like 14

The Tiger markings were applied right over the windows, so you've done the right thing there.

The windows don't appear to be painted over underneath those markings, ie they are still windows.

You might have a 'get out of jail card' in that the windows had panels that closed over them from the inside, like ships portholes do.

Looks great from this side of the computor!

• Thanks 1

Wow, impressive decals!

You didn't feel the need to hand paint them then? After all, with all your sharkmouth experience I'm sure you're an expert......

Ian

• Haha 4

Thanks Gents (especially James for the good news about the windows) :)

A quick post before we go off to see Mark Steele tonight (I like him, funny).

While I was recovering from the Tiger madness I decided to try another mad feature - the metal 'plates' around the exhausts, visible here in the walkaround photos:

24%2520109.JPG&key=9c096b1249f416ec8b158

24%2033.JPG

Obviously infatuated with the Portrait cutter, I 'designed' the shape using the scheme, scanned and sized.

In a rare lucid moment I decided to check the shape and imported a photograph of the model and shaped the design to that. It was different (nice save!) as can be seen in this screenshot:

41007978375_712fc46e52_z.jpg

So I edited my points and then cut the shape in Bare Metal Foil:

41008522665_475f5747d5_z.jpg

Promising, I thought.

I carefully removed the shape from the backing and tried to apply it to the model (being very careful not to touch the Tigers):

40100339360_cf5353ce00_z.jpg

Too small and much too thin - I want the plate to stick out a bit. How about kitchen tin foil?

40100495840_6609c3fff3_z.jpg

I think I need to slow down the blade and reduce the pressure (yes, I do now have the shape in my cutting mat, along with the others!).

Not quite the right shape or size but worth persevering:

41908292801_40d5e6e3ee_z.jpg

Maybe.

• Like 14

Ingenious Ced. Certainly worth persevering with. Take-away tin foil could be an option and a good compromises being slightly thicker than kitchen foil. Also you can cut it with nail scissors as they are nice and sharp and slightly curved (cheap from boots too).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2018 at 8:05 PM, amblypygid said:

Brilliant, Ced, ,my fave wobblycopter

I know it's a helicopter generalism, but in the case of the Hind, a most appropriate one.

Have you ever seen one start up?  Just after the rotors are engaged, and when the blades are trying to defeat drag and a bit of gravity the whole airframe does a brief twerk (to use modern parlance!), you can see why the crew leave the doors open for a while!

Worth a watch,

1:20

0:30

2:20

1:30

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

Have you ever seen one start up?  Just after the rotors are engaged, and when the blades are trying to defeat drag and a bit of gravity the whole airframe does a brief twerk (to use modern parlance!),

Similar to the Puma. That is why (we were told) they weren't sent to the Falklands at the time.

Not suitable for shipboard operations. I still had to do a working weekend in which we folded the blades,

and civilian chaps came in and made a huge zip up bag for the aircraft to protect it from the elements

just in case it was sent down there.

• Like 4

Holy twerking Hinds Batced! 

Those decals look quite intimidating..

That ring thing for the exhaust thing. I would err on the side of making a paper template first and doing a test fit before committing to foil. I did something similar for the canopy masking for the Box a while back, and this let allowed for (several) adjustments to the drawing in the Silhouette software prior to committing to a mask cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No Tony, scary

They look blooming scary, you'd never get me up in some of those

On

Doing

Oh you know

She does look quite amazing Ced, helicoptery obviously suits you

🚁🚁🚁🚁

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Ingenious Ced. Certainly worth persevering with. Take-away tin foil could be an option and a good compromises being slightly thicker than kitchen foil. Also you can cut it with nail scissors as they are nice and sharp and slightly curved (cheap from boots too).

Thanks Tomo :) I think slightly thicker foil might be the way to go - I'll have a hunt around the kitchen.

Scissors? Kinky...* I might try that but, as I'll have to 'design' the shape I may as well hit the button and get the Portrait to cut it.

*That's a Schwarzenegger quote from an interview when he was asked if he bought his wife underwear.

Interviewer: Bruce Willis buys his wife expensive underwear.

Arnie: He likes his wife to wear underwear? Kinky.

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

I know it's a helicopter generalism, but in the case of the Hind, a most appropriate one.

Have you ever seen one start up?  Just after the rotors are engaged, and when the blades are trying to defeat drag and a bit of gravity the whole airframe does a brief twerk (to use modern parlance!), you can see why the crew leave the doors open for a while!

Worth a watch,

[snip videos]

Thanks James :)Great videos and crikey, they do wobble a LOT!

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Similar to the Puma. That is why (we were told) they weren't sent to the Falklands at the time.

Not suitable for shipboard operations. I still ahd to do a working weekend in which we folded the blades,

and civilian chaps came in and made a huge zip up bag for the aircraft to protect it from the elements

just in case it was sent down there.

Thanks Pete :) Good story; I can imagine people being nervous about choppers wobbling themselves off the deck. Weird eh?

Making huge zip bags? Now that's a profession that's new to me...

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Holy twerking Hinds Batced! 

Those decals look quite intimidating..

That ring thing for the exhaust thing. I would err on the side of making a paper template first and doing a test fit before committing to foil. I did something similar for the canopy masking for the Box a while back, and this let allowed for (several) adjustments to the drawing in the Silhouette software prior to committing to a mask cut.

Thanks Tony :) Testing with paper is a good idea but I also needed to test how the cutter handled the foil so straight in for me, this time. I've had the Bare Metal Foil for ages and, at £6.50 a sheet, had been keeping it for something special. I'd used a tiny bit on the nose frame for Memphis Belle but it's otherwise been unused... time to get some value from it I guess (but maybe not for this build).

2 hours ago, perdu said:

No Tony, scary

They look blooming scary, you'd never get me up in some of those

On

Doing

Oh you know

She does look quite amazing Ced, helicoptery obviously suits you

🚁🚁🚁🚁

Thanks Bill :) I am getting slightly more interested in choppers... I think I'll reserve judgement until I've put the blades together.

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Eduards Mi-24 Hind Combo kit has etch for these exhaust plates, maybe these are helpful for the general shape:

jhttps://www.eduard.com/store/eduard/mi-24-in-czech-and-czechoslovak-service-dual-combo-1-72.html

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/gallery/4282/zoom/2116_008.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre, very helpful :)

I got brave this morning and cut the transfers around the doors and carefully eased them off the latex glue.

I then very carefully cut the transfers down the join between the two halves of the door and separated those.

The remaining latex was pulled off (nice and easy) and these parts are now ready for 'open assembly'

41024946875_b0c0a47779_z.jpg

Just realised I haven't opened the pilot's door, better do that while I've still got the nerve...

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

That exhaust ring is quite thick (believe it's part of the exhaust suppression kit mount), so etch is probably around the right thickness.

A thick foil would do it, or maybe even plasticard.  I find that thick foil tape (insulation and repair type) is good for these things, but a devil to fit over things when the backing paper is removed.

BTW Ced, you think the Revell decals can be problematic, take a close look at this pic (note upper claw shred)

Czech+Republic+Air+Force+3361+Mil+Mi-35+

great info Pete, I must admit I hadn't noticed that with the Puma, I wonder if it has been eliminated to an extent.

I always wondered why the Puma wasn't adapted more dramatically into more of a gunship trooper, like the Mi-8 was to the Mi-24, maybe just no need in the West.

Apart from this one of course!

puma-hind-02.jpg

• Like 4

When you see those movies of Hind wobbling itself into life the close/appearance of it to Puma does show whymy first ever attempt (last too) was adapting a Puma into a Hindalike as in an awfully old Airfix magazine conversion

Having had the privilege of sitting in Airbase/Coventry museum's beast and the pleasure of Ced guiding me in this build I can hear a Hind gently calling me

(From a VERY long way away...)

:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1