Grumman Gosling - Airfix 1/72

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm being very disciplined and finishing the Gosling before starting the TR.9. Goodness knows why. I may allow myself to fondle the sprues tomorrow.

Because any fule know what happens when you fondle a stunner?

• Haha 1

Thanks Chris :D You're right, best not to go there until the Gosling is finished...

Milliput on the step:

37889225272_ebf4a5b978_z.jpg

I do like this stuff for this sort of job. Press it on, smooth a bit, wet your tool (stop it!) and shape, then over the join with a moist finger (a la mode de Rob) and then final clean up with a wet, then dry Tamiya fine cotton bud. Final step is, of course, to throw the excess in the bin. One day I will judge the quantity, just right. We must all have our dreams...

Tailplane struts. Shall I use these?

37889493662_64f7f1042d_z.jpg

Struts? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I think not. Out with the Slaters rod, carefully cutting a little bit off the end for a good fit, then flood the locating holes with Contacta:

37867418166_e06ec211a9_z.jpg

They're not aerofoil shaped but frankly at this stage I've stopped caring about small details like that. Mainly because I've looked at mounting the floats. Here's a small example of the problem:

24070105418_100027245d_z.jpg

Hardly 'precision locating points' are they? At first I tried using Humbrol filler as a 'glue' but it's useless - the struts just slide up and down. Time to fill the holes and start again:

37868060046_04404f144a_z.jpg

I think attaching the floats is going to be the Achilles Heel of this GB... hopefully some kit makers will make it easier.

I'm still thinking of rigging them too :mental:

• Like 15

Thanks Simon and Chris - both good ideas :) Pity I didn't read them before I pressed on...

I drilled holes in the filler, inserted the strut bottoms and then offered up the assembly to the precision jig:

24073758168_8a35d5f5d4_z.jpg

26148846959_15f3fba3a1_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The plan is to glue the struts into the float, use Slaters rod for the 'inner rigging' to add some more strength and then fix the float to the wing (later) and hope the rigging holds it in place on the ceiling. Just to be sure the bottom of the struts got blobs of CA gel:

24073818468_39e04525a5_z.jpg

I'll take it apart and see what we have later.

• Like 15

Love that percision jig. Like most good ideas, it's simple, but works just fine. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Joe :) I must admit I panicked and just grabbed something!

Thanks Chris - I'm not sure about the filler, hence the CA. :) It is quite solid when cured but I haven't tried its strength. Great for filling though!

Thanks John :rofl2:

Onwards. Holes drilled for the rigging that I'll do at the end:

26150817069_20025291d0_z.jpg

Slaters rod used for the inter-strut wires:

26151098509_00f0b10716_z.jpg

Fixed using CA and zapped - hairy stuff!

Suddenly she's ready for primer:

26151350069_97ea64f08f_z.jpg

Surprise!

• Like 16

There should be some kind of medal awarded for the kind of work you've done on this Ced.

It seemed to give up quite quickly once  you got your Bernards out and gave it a good tooling.

I've quite forgotten what colour you said you were going to paint this....

• Like 1

I hope that filler holds up Ced, that would be the perfect place to use the sprue/glue goop so beloved by our dear Debs.

I'm looking forward to seeing it with some paint on!

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - wait no longer! :)

Thanks Tony :) A medal? Perhaps an MBE (Modelling Bleedin' Ejeet)? As far as the scheme goes I'm not sure I posted, but it'll be FP456 from the FAA in 1943. The colours are Sky undersides and then grey top with some grey bits, enhanced with a bit of grey. This is probably my first FAA build and finding the right colours in my stash had me pondering. Airfix say 123 (satin EDSG) and 224 (matt Dark Slate Grey). Harumph. I do have EDSG in Mr Hobby so I'll use that. I don't have the slate grey and no one else seems to do Dark Slate Grey so I'm going to try the DSG I have in Vallejo. Life's never easy.

Thanks Benedikt and Johnny, very kind as always :) I want to press on with this so I can do my TR.9. (Come on, come on!)

Thanks Ian :) I did get out the 'sprue soup' but mine is now 'almost perfect' runny for filling and it would just go through the hole. Ah, Debs, sadly missed. I'm hoping she's at Telford.

Thanks Jaime - hopefully I can finish with no more blood spilt! :)

Primer on last night:

37942420971_50df37a75a_z.jpg

This morning I loaded up the airbrush with Mr Hobby Aqueous Sky and X-20 50:50, reduced the pressure to 10psi and took a dose of patience:

37911941682_e2bdf0ba9c_z.jpg

I think I'm getting the hang of this varied finish now... slow and light. Hopefully it looks varied and not 'Look, you've missed a bit' or that people think it's just poor coverage.

We'll see when it's dry.

• Like 16

Looks good from here as well, Ced. Why did you mix sky and neutral grey? Do you think Gunze's Sky is not accurate enough?

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio - as one of my Gurus for this technique, that means a lot! :)

Thanks John - what?! Oh no, I'll have to stick 'em on again :rofl2:

Thanks Benedikt - have a good break :)

Thanks Jaime :) No mix, it's just the Giorgio / Cookie technique of spraying thinned coats over the grey primer to get some variation in the finish. I'm still practising! The grey in the booth is for the top.

Here it is dry (the Hobby Aqueous is shiny eh?):

24095031798_b211f799f9_z.jpg

While I'm waiting for some masking mojo I might paint the exhausts / vents.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I don't have the slate grey and no one else seems to do Dark Slate Grey

Ced, dark slate grey is nowt like dark sea grey - it's almost more a green than a grey! 

There's a few choices for Dark Slate Grey - Sovereign,Xtracolor, xtracrylix& the Humbrol you mentioned among others. If the Valejo DSG you mentioned is Dark Sea Grey then it's not going to look right at all. Valejo do a colour they claim to be dark slate grey - No 71.309 in Model Air - but I have to say I don't trust their colour 'matches' for British paint.

The Sky looks nice though!

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

Why did you mix sky and neutral grey?

Sorry Jaime, should have said X-20a thinners!

27 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ced, dark slate grey is nowt like dark sea grey - it's almost more a green than a grey!

Thanks Keith :) Grrrr, even the paint is causing a problem!! I thought the grey/grey was a bit boring...

I could have atrip to the LMS I suppose... or try an iModelKit mix:

37947587101_8d556a427f_z.jpg

I think the bit at the top is telling me it's not red enough (R:-8) and it's a bit too green/black? It'll be better than nothing. I'll ponder...

Thanks Giorgio - glad you like it and pleased I'm getting there :)

• Like 3

I dunno about the science of colour mixing Ced, I do know all eyes & monitors vary, but in that shot above the bit marked 71.044 is getting there to my eyes, but still not quite dark or green enough.

Keith

Edit; On my monitor the wing of the Seafire in the foreground would give you something to go at. It may be that lightening RAF dark green & then adding that bit of red (and/or some yellow) & possibly a touch of grey might get close? 

3210ecf1279ebe4bd5a97fe0bfc95a64.jpg

• Like 4