Airfix(yes Airfix) Short's Sunderland.

stevej60

Hi Steve,

this looks big and very nice!!!

I was surprised to read that you had re-scribed the fuselage... I never thought you were the re-scribing type!!! Too time consuming for you, I thought, with your stakanovitch approach to modelling!!!

It's gonna be beautiful!

A great New Year to you and family!

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Steve,

this looks big and very nice!!!

I was surprised to read that you had re-scribed the fuselage... I never thought you were the re-scribing type!!! Too time consuming for you, I thought, with your stakanovitch approach to modelling!!!

It's gonna be beautiful!

A great New Year to you and family!

JR

Many thank's Jean happy new year to you too,yes very unlike me to add time to a build but there you have it,I am waiting for

a break in the weather as I have to spray outside as I'm using Humbrol canned white should get moving soon!

Morning all,well in between the rain and gales over Christmas I did manage to get outside with the rattle can and finish the white

area's and gave a coat to the top fuselage joint to see how it looked with the filler sanded,happy to say it looks OK.the front turret

housing needs a coat or two which the brush will suffice.

DSCN4347_zpsda7wagtl.jpg

I wanted to see how the rivet detail would affect the masking so tried it on the tail for the anti icing areas there was a bit of

bleed but nothing too bad.

DSCN4349%202_zpswm1n62by.jpg

• Like 11

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 12:44, avro683 said:

As did the Stirling, Lancaster, B17 and others of that size and vintage. Just love those old instructions "Locate and cement pilot, part 1, to seat, part 2, after first painting if desired"!

resized_c38f4139-e543-48ef-8fcc-ad56217f

Red instrument panel anyone ?..................................

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, adey m said:

resized_c38f4139-e543-48ef-8fcc-ad56217f

Red instrument panel anyone ?..................................

Best instruction sheets ever in my opinion! Bring them back Airfix!

Martian

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beard said:

It might be because of this thread (or it might be the Prosecco, Tempranillo, White Russians and, Espresso Martinis I've drunk this evening) but I've just bought an Airfix Sunderland.

Top man, secret now is to build it without all the usual after market smegging about.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Beard said:

It might be because of this thread (or it might be the Prosecco, Tempranillo, White Russians and, Espresso Martinis I've drunk this evening) but I've just bought an Airfix Sunderland.

You are in good company Beard.

Happy New Year to all you Airfix Sunderland fans............

• Like 2

On 31/12/2016 at 21:40, Beard said:

resized_098f097c-06f2-4250-b8d8-4246a288

I did it.......and it didn't affect me at all...............just smell the salty air every one...............

resized_f5f2a6df-f32c-4823-9cb6-f17d1930

Edited by adey m
  • Like 18

Hi all,well I knew those rivets were going to be a problem when it came to masking but at least the base gray is on.I need to get some thin

masking tape as I've ran out this will enable me to get the rounded area in front of the tail to a better shape.

DSCN4362_zps5gvhwwhd.jpg

The area's of paint bleed are a pain but should tidy up OK.

DSCN4363_zpsqocwpst8.jpg

So next job is to tidy up the demarcation lines paint the tail planes and add camo,see you soon.

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folk's well many apologies especially after all the interest but I've given up on this one,three re-sprays trying to get a decent 

demarcation line the windows are nearly all inside the fuselage with all the handling and my sanity was in danger of being lost

for good,if I were to tackle this kit again I would definitely remove the damn rivets or get some AM decal's and avoid the later

white scheme.

Sorry that you have had to bin the build it was looking good but whole heartily support and understand your frustration and decision. Sometimes it is better to walk away and move on rather than persevere finish it and never be truly happy and content with the model. Wish you all the very best and better luck with your future builds.

• Like 1