Lovely stuff, that green is really rich.

Thanks Will. The green is Gunze H26 Bright Green, which I guess is pretty close to Tamiya Park Green. I wasn't really sure about the colour, but I didn't want the whole thing to be yellow. It clashes a bit with the X-Wing, but hopefully it'll look better once all the base is painted up

Andy

Oh, Andy. I so like your work. I'm always inspired to try to do more with my builds after I see what you are doing.

Your layout of bits is quite interesting. Did you think about the overall colour composition or did it just come about naturally? I like how the yellow primer on the X-Wing works with the yellow on the support equipment . How you have touches of green gear in the equipment bay and on top of the big wheeled unit. Do you purposely limit your colour choices or jut work by eye?

I'm very intrigued to see what colours you use in your ground work to tie it all together, warm or cool greys? Browns? and which accent colour you go with if you do any painted markings.

As always thanks for sharing your inspiring work.

Dan

• Like 1

Oh, Andy. I so like your work. I'm always inspired to try to do more with my builds after I see what you are doing.

Your layout of bits is quite interesting. Did you think about the overall colour composition or did it just come about naturally? I like how the yellow primer on the X-Wing works with the yellow on the support equipment . How you have touches of green gear in the equipment bay and on top of the big wheeled unit. Do you purposely limit your colour choices or jut work by eye?

I'm very intrigued to see what colours you use in your ground work to tie it all together, warm or cool greys? Browns? and which accent colour you go with if you do any painted markings.

As always thanks for sharing your inspiring work.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I'd like to say there was some grand plan when I do things like this, but really I just go with gut instinct, and hope for the best. When I painted the bay interiors in yellow I hadn't even thought about any ground equipment. I went with the yellow on the accessories because it had looked alright on the support cradle I made for the Snowspeeder, and when I painted the tanks in green, I just picked the colour because I thought it might contrast well with the yellow. I'd forgotten that there was a similar colour on the X-Wing.

The groundwork is meant to be concrete so it'll be a pale grey. I'd normally do concrete in a warm grey tone but here I think I'll try a cooler tone to blend the concrete areas with the snow landscape at the side, and also to offset all the warmer red and yellow tones in the rest of the diorama. I'll probably go with a pale cool blue for the ground markings for the same reason.

I'm still not sure how it's all going to look at the end. There's a lot of very intense colours going on here, which is something I'm not used to dealing with.

What materials do you use when constructing a base, Andy? I'm considering doing a few for some of my recent works :)

Gaz

I usually use photo frames for bases as they're cheap and come in a variery of colours and sizes.

In this case I removed the glass from the photo frame, then hot-glued a piece of 5mm MDF into the aperture. The hardstanding area is a piece of 0.5 plasicard, which I'll glue strait on to the MDF. I'll make the landscaping from Das clay, then figure something out for the snow on top.

Andy

• Like 1

I usually use photo frames for bases as they're cheap and come in a variery of colours and sizes.

In this case I removed the glass from the photo frame, then hot-glued a piece of 5mm MDF into the aperture. The hardstanding area is a piece of 0.5 plasicard, which I'll glue strait on to the MDF. I'll make the landscaping from Das clay, then figure something out for the snow on top.

Andy

Cheers :D

Gaz

• Like 1

great build :)AFV - perfect, sci-fi - perfect, anything else you build Andy ? ;)

Just the usual. Some armour, some aircraft, some sci-fi... the occasional pig with a teapot on it's head

14668901074_d492c60944_b.jpg

You know, regular stuff :winkgrin:

Andy

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

If anyone hasn't already spent time browsing Andy's photostream on Flickr, you should. Pages and pages of awesomeness :)Will

Models, CGI renderings (?) and photography - a cross section of a genuine talent Andy

• Like 1

Are there any words that I can type or say that will truly get across how amazing your work is. You've done it again, made everyone jealous with your amazing skills. Such a shame that the movies now use CGI for a lot of the ships because with your amazing skills you would be working on the movies I have no doubts about that

Edited by baldrik1978
  • Like 1

Andy, amazing work! The x wing, droid, ground equipment-all top notch! Thanks for sharing all your idea's with us. I was wondering how you made your bases, that is something I would like to try myself. As always, it is a real pleasure to see your work.

• Like 1

If anyone hasn't already spent time browsing Andy's photostream on Flickr, you should. Pages and pages of awesomeness :)

Will

And don't forget to check out Mr Vale's portfolio while you're there.

I seem to have been busy with everything under the sun for the last few days, but I've finally got a bit more work done on the base.

As a recap, I started with a 9" square photo frame into which I glued a piece of 5mm MDF

26674563974_b70bea83e8_b.jpg

The hardstanding area is a piece of 2mm plasticard. As Will pointed out earlier in the build, the hardstanding needed turning slightly to improve the composition. This required a couple of fillets of plasticard to fill in the corners, but I think it will look better like this

27281569715_2cd10d4af1_b.jpg

Next thing was to make up the revetment wall section that will go down the back edge of the base. The basic construction was just styrene sheet with bulkheads inside to give it some strength

27281566855_16235f2646_b.jpg

And this is how it will sit on the base

26674559544_fab7175a89_b.jpg

The wall was then detailed up with some ribbed styrene panels, and various other bits and pieces

27184779352_0bb4afa8d5_b.jpg

I'll be painting the hardstanding area and the wall separately then, when they're done, I'll add the groundwork at the back of the base. To start with I've pre-shaded the hardstanding, then I'll start getting some paint on later

27211488621_1a0738a012_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 12

Your base is coming together well. I'm hanging out for the paint :) .

Andy you must have an interesting collection of bit and pieces because you seem to come up with just the right widget to add that neat detail to your builds. That bulkhead door is killer. :D

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates. Hopefully it should speed up a bit now.

The base and revetment wall have both had a grey base coat over the pre-shading. These were mostly mixed from different Tamiya greys, with white added to lighten them. The revetment was intentionally darker, and had a little aluminium mixed in with the grey as I wanted it to look more like a metal structure than the concrete on the hardstanding. Both the hardstanding and the wall have had mottled over-sprays in paler tones to give them a more weathered look

27116280620_c1393c9b78_b.jpg

27358470936_387d2dd15d_b.jpg

27358467666_31e9eb5952_b.jpg

To try and get a more mottled, concrete-y look to the base, I sponged some masking fluid on in as random a fashion as I could

27320928961_2a7643df51_b.jpg

The base then had a patchy spray with a darker grey tone. Some areas had more coverage than others, again to make the whole effect as random as possible

27392062385_b54a435a35_b.jpg

27320910541_772c3759c2_b.jpg

The effect of the sponge masking inevitably looks a little obvious in places, so I'll probably do a second (and maybe third) round of masking and spraying, which should make the effect subtler but more complex at the same time (hopefully).

Since I'd got a bit of the darker grey left over, I speckled it over the surface to give some finer detail, then thinned it and brush painted some corners and along panel lines to add more shading, and knock back some of the contrast from the masked shading

27320903781_b63230090c_b.jpg

That's helped it look a little more natural, but it'll still need the second layer of masked shading to blend it together better. At the end, I'll give it all a thin mist coat of pale grey to further blend and soften the effects as, being 1/72, I don't want the textures to be too strong, or it'll all look out of scale.

Hopefully I should get some of that done tonight

Andy

• Like 10

Looks good, the colours are great!

I think you should mask half the panels with tape before the next round of masking fluid, so you get some blotches that don't cross the expansion gaps. That would help it look like separate concrete pours.

My 2p,

Will

• Like 2