Wow Andy! This build is soooo great!! I am enjoying this so much! Thanks for posting all your progress and for sharing your incredible work with us!

• Like 1

Amazing work Andy.

I got the white stripes done on the upper wings and nose this afternoon. I went with the hairspray in the end, and it came out reasonably well. I still keep getting the impression that I should be adding a flashing blue light above the cockpit (and a woolly cardigan on the seat)

For readers who are not of a certain age, please ask your parents or grandparents.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 3

Looking great, I'd go with dark grey for the next chips, also think that will look best.

Also was thinking that something like Bobas Bantha skull would look ace on one of the wings.

bobafett.jpg

Doesn't have to be this nescessarily, but I like the easy to read shape it has and it would break up the symmetry even a bit more if only applied to one wing.

• Like 3

Looking great, I'd go with dark grey for the next chips, also think that will look best.

Also was thinking that something like Bobas Bantha skull would look ace on one of the wings.

bobafett.jpg

Doesn't have to be this nescessarily, but I like the easy to read shape it has and it would break up the symmetry even a bit more if only applied to one wing.

Or alternatively a piece of nose art with the skull design on the top of the nose and the tusks (?) on the side of the fuselage in a similar fashion to the Warthog tusks which adorn some A-10s' noses?

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2

Really starting to come to life now. I can try to imagine what sort of adventures this ship has been on. Who painted it red and white? Is it from a squadron or possibly a solitary ship? What caused those scratches and battle damage? The Empire? Perhaps even the Rebels? Another group entirely? The galaxy is a big and potentially unfriendly place!

Never tell me the odds :)

-matt

• Like 1

Really starting to come to life now. I can try to imagine what sort of adventures this ship has been on. Who painted it red and white? Is it from a squadron or possibly a solitary ship? What caused those scratches and battle damage? The Empire? Perhaps even the Rebels? Another group entirely? The galaxy is a big and potentially unfriendly place!

Never tell me the odds :)

-matt

Thanks Matt

That's what I enjoy about going 'off-piste' with these builds. It adds a bit of mystery to the build, and people can interpret the model any way they want. That's one reason why I'll probably steer away from using any recognisable iconography like the Rebel or Fett logos. They tend to bring too much associated baggage with them. Having said that, the A-10 warthog tusks do sound cool.

Andy

• Like 2

After the brief interlude for the Star Destroyer, I'm back on the X-Wing. The paint chipping on the red is done, and I've added some deeper chips in dark grey, mainly where the battle damage is. Some of this will be softened with over-sprayed scorch marks.

I've also added a few random stencil decals here and there. Some of these came from previous Bandai SW kits, so they are at least in Aurebesh (not that you can read them). In the end I haven't gone with any nose art or emblems. I couldn't really find anything suitable in my spare decals, and given the small space on the nose, together with the missing panels, I don't think it would have looked right. I did find an old Games Workshop decal that could go on the wing. I'm in two minds about it right now, so I'll post a photo later with it sitting on the wing to see what you lot think.

For now, this is where I'm at. It's had a panel line wash, and the beginnings of some weathering. I've started to get some of the separate components together. It'll get a matt coat next, then I'll start adding some dirt and staining to it

26978882021_4717081fbe_b.jpg

27047314245_576e464223_b.jpg

27047310455_6d3f1078f7_b.jpg

26441715764_5b148bdd49_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 7

OK, so this is the decal I was talking about. It's an old Ork Snakebite clan logo from Games Workshop. I quite like the way it looks on the wing, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for Star Wars. I think it's just the fact that I know it's an Ork logo that makes me think it won't look right. The chips on the decal are intentional. I scratched bits off with a knife blade so it would fit in with the battered look of the paintwork

26442440204_85665567a7_b.jpg

as an alternative to the above, I've also got a bit of chopped-up Arabic script left over from the Takom Chieftain. I'm not sure about this one either. Maybe it's a little too simplistic for a starfighter but, then again, there are a lot groups and clans in the SW universe that have quite crude symbols and designs.

26442434064_23ba7ccc3e_b.jpg

I'm open to opinions

Andy

• Like 6

I quite like the Snakebite logo too, black feels like the right colour and it fits nicely on that panel.

I wonder if something from the Eldar would work as well - Saim Hann perhaps? But that's even more recognisable than the Orky one, and less brutal.

Will

• Like 1

Red ones go fasta! I kind of also prefer the snakebite logo, but have the same feeling of it not belonging there because of the orc association. Still a great logo and it would look splendid. The other one though also looks awesome and I like the curvyness it has compared to the other one, would be a great contrast to the very straight red/white pattern.

Hmmm, I vote for number two.

• Like 1

The consensus seems to be the snake, so the snake it is

Thanks for all the input everyone. Much appreciated. Deciding on things like this in isolation, you tend to start second guessing yourself, so all the feedback is really helpful.

Not literally in isolation, incidentally. I'm not in prison... yet. Of course, I may yet be found guilty of wilful over-weathering.

I like the snakebite decal. You could maybe paint a shape background to differentiate it from the GW decal, the snake over a triangle shape might look good.

Yes, it would work well over a triangle. If I'd planned on the logo from the start, I'd have integrated it into the design better. As it is, I didn't want to cover up too much of my previous work

Red ones go fasta! I kind of also prefer the snakebite logo, but have the same feeling of it not belonging there because of the orc association. Still a great logo and it would look splendid. The other one though also looks awesome and I like the curvyness it has compared to the other one, would be a great contrast to the very straight red/white pattern.

Hmmm, I vote for number two.

I'll be saving the other one for future use. As you say, the curvyness works well against the angular ship, and I like the slightly tribal look. I might see if it will work on the A-Wing. My current plan for that is for something like the movie scheme but in black and white, with the centre section in white. That decal might look good on the white ahead of the cockpit.

So, the snake's in place. It was a pain to get on, as it broke up into multiple pieces as I was sliding it off the backing sheet. If I'd wanted it to look clean then that would have been a bigger issue. As it was, the splits didn't show against all the chips I'd already added to the decal (it was probably doing that that caused it to break up in the first place)

26782995880_e003964cba_b.jpg

After that had dried, I gave the fuselage and wings a matt coat ready for the final weathering. That's the last overall spraying I'll need to do, so I've been able to remove the masking over the open bays. This is the first time I've seen how the internal details look with the red, and I think it all gels together pretty well. I'll leave the glazing covered till the end, in case I do need to spray any touch ups. The bulk of the remaining weathering will be done with enamels and oils applied by brush. There may be some localised spraying here and there, but it shouldn't require too much in the way of masking

26782999370_b671a9c25f_b.jpg

26783002610_44cd1642e8_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 13

That's super pretty.

My inner compulsive aligner is delighted that you not only have the corner of the decal lying exactly on the diagonal, but the spacing to the white edge on the RHS matches the spacing between the snake coils.

That kind of precision definitely contributes to making it not look Orky :)

will

• Like 1

Incredible work Andy! I really like the weathering and I think your choice of markings is spot on. Thanks for posting all these pics as we are enjoying this build immensely.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I've been thinking for a while that, as the red is so strong, it needed another colour to accent it. The yellow does that to a certain extent, but I wanted something with a stronger contrast. I'd also thought about adding some deco to one of the guns, like the spiral on Luke's X-Wing, so that seemed the best way of adding another colour without it being too dominant. I went with a checkerboard design and, conveniently, the barrel was 24mm long and 8 mm round, so I could get a perfect alignment with 2mm squares.

The barrel had a white coat before the masking, then the checks were sprayed with Vallejo Andrea Blue

26983915002_daba349ca8_b.jpg

I also thought that the fuselage needed to look a little more patchy, so I masked off a couple of panels and sprayed them grey. As you can see, it's on it's legs now too. Still more weathering to do, but it's looking a bit more complete now

27010054701_d762ff0eae_b.jpg

27045359846_dd9f52fbda_b.jpg

27078330755_306c7248fd_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 12