1/72 Zvezda Mi-35G Super Hind II

Pappy

Nice detailing additions.

G'day Nigel,

Thanks very much but not quite up to your standard of metal working!

G'day people,

A little more work done. I have started to paint up the main rotor. I have just blocked in the black on the underside and the green on top. Both colours were given a little more interest by over spraying with lightened tones of the base colour.

DSCN2848_zpsxl962kd2.jpg

That was the easy part, now for all the masking to cut out the blade leading edges and rotor hub colours.

The tail rotor has been completed and was dry fitted

DSCN2846_zpspixkhtov.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

just out of curiosity does this bird have that odd slant to the left in the fuselage that the Hind is suppose to have?

Edited by hacker

Very niceso far, I do like the subtle shading on the rotors, very effective.

Bob

Looking good so far, now if we can have a 1/48 version this detailed

Great work pappy, the rotors and tail rotor look fantastic.

G'day fellas, thanks very much, and I agree, we a re loooong overdue for a decent 1/48 Mi-24 Hind family (and a PUMA as well!)

just out of curiosity does this bird have that odd slant to the left in the fuselage that the Hind is suppose to have?

The real deal has a 2.5 degree 'twist between the forward cockpits and the rear fuselage. I think I read that the Zvezda kit doe have this feature, although in 1/72 I am not sure how obvious it will be. The kits in the larger scales don't, and the twist would be more apparent in a larger scale. It does not really jump out at you unless you are looking for it.

G'day people,

More canopy woes. As previously stated, Zvezda have made the canopy a very complicated affair. the rear canopy is broken down into three parts, an entry door (great!) and a two part rear canopy (not so great!). I had glued down the main section of the rear canopy and let the glue set. Before adding the separate windscreen section, I temp fitted a PE HUD. No deal, the height of the HUD interferes with the windscreen panel due to the angle of the screen. I scratched my head for a while and came up with a compromise. HUDs are delicate creatures and they are often fitted with a cover when the jet is not flying. I scratched up a HUD shaped item using some scrap resin. A small lead foil strip was added to represent the RBF streamer.

The pictures below were taken before I touched up the instrument panel paint to neaten everything up.

DSCN2861_zpsdeq2k8jg.jpg

DSCN2862_zps875zc1te.jpg

DSCN2863_zpsfygygyb9.jpg

Next up, I test fitted the windscreen section,

DSCN2864_zpspwtm6k36.jpg

DSCN2866_zpsqmgzqmhs.jpg

Notice the gap at the bottom left corner where it meets the rear canopy, ugh!

The other side is pretty good, and it should be because I spent ages test fitting and sanding to get it to fit well.

DSCN2865_zpsqz0jzwhq.jpg

DSCN2867_zpslvzvnvbr.jpg

The only portion that I have not yet glued is the top of the windscreen where it meets the rear canopy. I had to very carefully sand the top edges to get it to sit inside the rear canopy section. I can get it to just nestle inside, but it wants to spring out. It is hard to take a picture of but this is what I am talking about,

DSCN2868_zpst8wkqmg8.jpg

I will let the glue set and then glue down the last bit, that way I am only fighting the canopy in one plane!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 8

Really impressive work till now! Congrats :goodjob:

I was planning to build this same kit as a Soviet aircraft in Afghanistan but I still haven't found the time to start. Your thread is a great resource of detailing ideas.

Cheers

Jaime

Really impressive work till now! Congrats :goodjob:

I was planning to build this same kit as a Soviet aircraft in Afghanistan but I still haven't found the time to start. Your thread is a great resource of detailing ideas.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime,

G'day people,

I am getting closer to moving past my canopy woes. I have started to blend in the join and it is already starting to look better under some paint.

DSCN2903_zpsfle2a4cn.jpg

I still have a little more work to do on the other side but i should get there

DSCN2902_zpsbotx3ims.jpg

Meanwhile I have added the nose section which will distinguish this variant

DSCN2904_zpscalmeglk.jpg

DSCN2905_zps6rgmigxh.jpg

DSCN2907_zpsx1qgu03f.jpg

DSCN2908_zpsukohagdn.jpg

It will need a little filler to blend it in but it should not be too difficult.

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

Absolutely stunning work pappy. You seem to be overcoming the canopy woes.

I've got the revell boxing of this kit in my stash, and will certainly be using your excellent build as a guide and inspiration.

Matt

Absolutely stunning work pappy. You seem to be overcoming the canopy woes.

I've got the revell boxing of this kit in my stash, and will certainly be using your excellent build as a guide and inspiration.

Matt

Wow, that just went all futuristic out of nowhere!

G'day Matt and Ralph, thanks very much for your comments, I hope to get back to the bench soon,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day people,

It has been a little while since the last post. I have made a little more progress.

The main rotor blades feature a clear window at the tip. I thought about cutting out this section and replacing with clear sprue but in the end decided to just use silver paint to represent this feature. I then picked out some details on the main rotor hub and gave it a wash and some weathering effects,

DSCN2960_zpspcbxviqh.jpg

This completes the main rotor assembly

Gratuitous test fit picture follows

DSCN2961_zps4b81vk1s.jpg

Now I can start prepping the fuselage for painting,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6

That rotor looks the business.

Thanks Nigel,

G'day people,

I managed a little more progress today.

The nose casting is designed for the HB kit, but it matched the Zvezda kit reasonably well, but there are still gaps. I made some small 'sausages' of epoxy filler and pushed these into the gap around the nose casting, then smoothed this with a wet finger and cotton buds

DSCN2970_zps6abh5xlx.jpg

DSCN2971_zps0ix69epy.jpg

DSCN2972_zpshhj14ntn.jpg.

The real thing has a seam along this point, so my main aim was to try and eliminate the trench and get a more reasonable transition.

I also noticed that my aircraft has additional RWR sensors on the stub wings. I added these using round stock off-cuts

DSCN2973_zpssyld7q1n.jpg

DSCN2974_zpsqs6pgvrc.jpg

Shiny dicso balls

The conversion kit provides a sensor turret but it is a little 'vanilla'. to be fair, most sensor turrets retract when in standby to a position which will protect the delicate optical sensor windows. I wanted a little more bling so I drilled out the window locations and added punched discs from clear packaging that were coated in holographic film.

DSCN2975_zpsv9s5aecm.jpg

DSCN2977_zpsj3wx8vdr.jpg

DSCN2979_zpsydxv8cfz.jpg

Note, the white stuff behind the discs is PVA glue which is still wet, it will eventually dry clear.

And because I couldn't help myself, a quick test fit,

DSCN2981_zpsshxarlje.jpg

DSCN2982_zpsofz7bi0o.jpg

DSCN2983_zpsbhsrif0m.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 8

very nicely done Pappy - they look awesome! Have you decided on a scheme yet?

G'day Madhatter,

Thanks very much.

I had decided on a scheme ages ago, I just haven't decided to let everyone else know. I was also waiting for some custom decals (which have arrived) which would also determine the feasibility of my chosen option. In truth, the number of schemes for an Mi-35G are a little limited - unless one chooses to go down the WIF road (I won't) , but there are still a few options, at least three demonstrator schemes and two operational ones,

cheers,

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...