McDonnell Douglas F-4S Phantom II VMFA-321 "Hell's Angels"

Eduard PE set for the IP is definitely looking great, and I agree it looks much better in real life, having used it myself. Yours looks spot on also in the pic, though.

Ciao

Edit PS: Yes, the top green lens is a radar screen. Again looking at various pictures, it often has a red color, which is an additional "cover" (sorry, my English is failing me here) used for night time ops. Other pics show a black - dark green screen, so I ended up maintaining the PE color, mostly to avoid screwing up with it ... :banghead:

Edited by giemme

Hi mates,

Eduard provide the same PE parts for the front rudder pedals and the rear footrests. Probably not completely authentic, but I think it looks pretty good.

100_5740

I added the instrument panels to the cockpit, and also the right rear insulation panel (that's what it looks like anyway!). You can also see the PE that Eduard provide for the circuit breakers, which are right below the insulation. I always thought it odd that the USN and USMC Phantoms did not have a console in the rear like on the USAF aircraft. Hasegawa moulded in a very faint raised line to show you where the bottom of the insulation panel should go. It worked, too, because everything lines up nicely when I test fit the front fuselage together. Good thinking on Hasegawa's part.

100_5742

There are more parts to add to the pit, but they will wait until I have the front fuselage halves together. Verlinden give you a very nice PE piece for the canopy sill, as can be seen here:

100_5743

This is waiting until almost the very end of the build, as it is definitely fiddly! The inner portions fold down, and the rear portion has to do a double fold in order to conform to the shape of the fuselage. To be honest, I think I will separate this into multiple pieces to make it easier to install.

One trick I've used over the years when building the Hasegawa Spook is to remove the alignment pegs that connect the cockpit floor to the nose gear well. It makes it much easier to align the pit with the fuselage halves if you're not being constrained by the nose gear well.

The bang seats are resin, with the harnesses moulded (cast) in place. I'm in no hurry to paint these as I don't plan on installing them until the very end of the build. Next I'll plan the rest of the cockpit build and see if it's time to close up the front fuselage. Although there is something bugging me that I probably should do something about first! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

Nice cockpit! I also like the Verlinden PE for the canopy sill: is there any reference I can look for (if this is still available)?

TIA

Ciao

One reason for the lack of console on the right hand side of the USN and USMC Phantoms could be the presence of a flight refuelling probe bay in that area?

Duncan B

I'd say yes, definitely. Here's a link to a picture of that side: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/cockpits/f4/f4_panel_02.jpg

Ciao

• Like 1

On 5/9/2015 at 03:14, giemme said:

I'd say yes, definitely. Here's a link to a picture of that side: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/cockpits/f4/f4_panel_02.jpg

Ciao

Interesting photo - it's not from a USN or USMC Spook though - British maybe? The USN and USMC Phantoms have no consoles on the starboard side.

The "insulation panel" as I call it looks the same in your link as on the US aircraft, and since the British refueling probe is in the same place as the USN and USMC planes, it's very likely that Duncan is correct.

Cheers,

Bill

Great build, and really nice work in the cockpit. I have learn't lots about Phantom cockpits, which I hope I can remember when I build some myself. The PE and resin bits should make this a stunner.

Cheers.

Interesting photo - it's not from a USN or USMC Spook though - British maybe? The USN and USMC Phantoms have no consoles on the starboard side.

The "insulation panel" as I call it looks the same in your link as on the US aircraft, and since the British refueling probe is in the same place as the USN and USMC planes, it's very likely that Duncan is correct.

Sorry, mine was a lazy answer :banghead: . It's from an FGR.2, see here. As you say, refueling probe is in the same position as USN and USMC planes.

Ciao

• Like 1

On 5/9/2015 at 14:34, giemme said:

Sorry, mine was a lazy answer :banghead: . It's from an FGR.2, see here. As you say, refueling probe is in the same position as USN and USMC planes.

Ciao

Thanks for posting that link, it will help a lot when I build my stash of Fujimi British Phantoms. First time I've seen that periscope for the guy in the back seat. Was that on all British Phantoms? It's quite obvious, but I don't recall seeing it in any kits.

Cheers,

Bill

First time I've seen that periscope for the guy in the back seat. Was that on all British Phantoms? It's quite obvious, but I don't recall seeing it in any kits.

It was added on most FGR.2's late in their service life, with the corresponding window in the mid canopy frame being plated over. These are in no kit OOTB I'm aware of, but shouldn't be that hard to scratchbuild.

Actually the sights were surplus items taken from retired Chieftain tanks, believe it or not - a sort of "poor men's TISEO".

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3

Quick question for all you USMC Spook experts:

The anniversary scheme on the aircraft I'm modelling has a dark blue intake ramp. Does anyone know if the blue extends into the intake at all? I'm thinking not, and that the inside of the intake should be white as on other USMC Phantoms. But every photo I've found of this plane has FOD covers over the intakes, so I can't tell. If it's just the ramp that is blue, I think I'll leave it off for ease of painting, and then add it later.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Silly Hasegawa. Although they correctly supplied slotted stabilisers for this F-4S kit, they are actually USAF versions since they have the small arrowhead shaped reinforcement plate on top. That will have to be removed. It's interesting that the photo of the built kit in the instruction booklet shows the correct USN version stabilisers without the plate. I wonder if my kit just had the wrong parts packaged in it?

Bill,

No expert but having recently spent some time around "Currently" active F-4's, any colours only go as far as the edge of the intake ramp. From the intake ramp inwards it is "white".

HTH

Hi Bill,

Regarding the slotted tailplanes, to the best of my knowledge Hasegawa only ever moulded two versions - slotted and non-slotted - so what you have in the kit is as close as Hasegawa is going to provide. I think it safe to assume that the builder of the kit in the instructions photo made their own adjustment to the kit tailplanes.

As to the intakes, this image (and another) suggests that the intake is all white, from the rear of the intake ramp aft, so you should be good to leave it off until later.

cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Bill,

to the best of my knowledge Hasegawa only ever moulded two versions - slotted and non-slotted - so what you have in the kit is as close as Hasegawa is going to provide.

And it's not just Hasegawa - all my Fujimi,Monogram, Italeri and Esci kits come with the arrowheads molded on as well.

Oh well. Out with the sandpaper and scriber!

Cheers,

Andre

PS. Silly Hasegawa. Although they correctly supplied slotted stabilisers for this F-4S kit, they are actually USAF versions since they have the small arrowhead shaped reinforcement plate on top. That will have to be removed. It's interesting that the photo of the built kit in the instruction booklet shows the correct USN version stabilisers without the plate. I wonder if my kit just had the wrong parts packaged in it?

As others said, either slotted or unslotted Hasegawa supplies the stabs always with the arrowhead reinforcement plate. So, a bit of a chore in removing them ...

Ciao

On 5/11/2015 at 22:25, Andrew said:

As to the intakes, this image (and another) suggests that the intake is all white, from the rear of the intake ramp aft, so you should be good to leave it off until later.

Thanks, Andrew! Those photos are definitive - the intake is white. That Cloud 9 site has some beautiful photos, thanks for that link. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill. Sorry I'm only just catching up with this GB. I hadn't even realised it had started!! I just mentioned in Steve's thread that I thought some people were being a little quiet on BM!

Looks like a rather nice project you've got going on here so...... :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Time for a break!

All this modelling (about an hour's worth during the last two weeks) is draining me, so I must have a holiday. I am therefore headed to beautiful Duck, North Carolina for a week of relaxation, no, wait, make that chasing my grandchildren and watching my wife spend our retirement portfolio. Duck is the epicenter of the Outer Banks - thank goodness the tropical storm was LAST week! :)

See ya later...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Should be able to visit the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA while we're there.

• Like 3