Airfix Lightning F.6

dwh

Have no fear. They are included in the kit. I picked up mine from Toymaster for £10.99. These boxings might become collectable one day, like first edition books. Who knows, in 30 years time they might be worth as much as a tenner!

To be honest, if someone had said a few years ago "Would you like to be able to walk into any model shop and buy an accurate EE Lighting F6 for £16 in 1/72?" Would we have all said "Well.......as long as the box art is good"?

If Airfix would like to do a new Halifax BIII to the same quality I'll agree to buy it even if they put it in a box with a child's drawing of a Lancaster on the lid.

Stuart

• Like 6

What is wrong with the box-art? I know practically nothing about the aircraft (shared the same engine as in *our* J-35, right? :ninja: ) but it makes me wanna buy yet another nice aircraft kit making new, sweet Brit-jets.. ;)

• Like 1

It has no cannon ports in the lower forward fuselage, and the airplane wouldn't be able to fly, given that it has no horizontal stabilizers.

@Stuart - that may be true, but does that mean manufacturers should put out a potentially killer product in a really lousy box, when it costs them NOTHING extra to do things right?

Edited by Jennings Heilig

I had pointed out no cannons in post 3 of the thread! The fuselage is too "slab sided", nose and cockpit looks squashed. Just all wrong. Thank the Lord the kit inside is excellent.

• Like 1

Are we moving into the hitherto unexplored realms of "poor box-art renders a kit unbuildable" here folks?

I've shown the box to several modellers, aviation enthusiasts, aircraft engineers and museum shop customers, asking them to spot the mistake. NOBODY has spotted the missing tail, never mind commenting on the shape of the thing. . . Of course, when the omission is pointed out it's met with a universal "Dohhh!"

I can't imagine Airfix are going to lose a single sale because of it.

• Like 2

I like the box art. Very dramatic and makes the aeroplane look like it exudes power which, in the case of the Lightning, seems pretty apt. I didn't notice the missing tailplane until someone on here pointed it out. I think it's quite funny. Obviously someone pressed the wrong button at some stage.

• Like 1

Box art? Schmoks art! For heavens sake.....we're all art critics already!!

The kit: additional sprue with the F6 bits is superb , shame there's no muzzles on the cannon , and no representation of the vent holes in the blisters, but hey! It's an accurate model of a Lightning for pocket money! Superb decals -and a great choice of 74 Sqn markings if you ask me...

Rejoice!

• Like 4

Nobody said word one about the kit, did they? I don't see any mention of it here. We're talking about the box art.

The freaking airplane has no horizontal stabilizer. That's nothing but a dumb mistake.

Move on.

Now that is nit-picking..

:yikes:

:whistle:

:banghead:

:lol:

:blush: