RESIN GB - or "How I Learnt to Love Resin!"

Gosh, you're up early! Yes, I have quite a few resin kits in my stash, including one I really really want to get right (Heinkel 114), so any kind of GB/tutorial would be brilliant. I think two things make me nervous - something I've mentioned in the help section on BM actually - resin puddles and removing parts, and reshaping bent parts without knackering the model.

Gosh, you're up early!

Well actually I'm away with work at the moment in central Australia so it's actually in the middle of the arvo, plus am a bit bored.

The He114 looks nice!

I think two things make me nervous - something I've mentioned in the help section on BM actually - resin puddles and removing parts, and reshaping bent parts without knackering the model.

Removing parts.......always a fun part, this is where we all realise that you are actually hopeless with a knife!! :crying:

Reshaping Bent parts.......resin is brittle, time to go looking in the spares parts box! :angry:

Resin Puddles........where the models ends up are the above happen too many times!!!! :banghead:

plus you forgot:

CA glue blobs

Resin air bubbles

fingers stuck together

resin dust

CA glue drys too quick as you find the wings are the wrong way around! :whistle:

fingers stuck to model

more resin dust

nothing fits first go.....more sanding, or second more sanding, or third go sanded too much!!!!!!

even more resin dust

no finger prints left, contemplate life of crime as a burglar :hmmm:

half a ton of filler

resin dust now at chest height

Orange peel paint finish........forgot to wash model :doh:

now coloured resin dust

6 months later finish model, find out Tamigawa now produce same model that can be completed in a day and is accurate!! :fuyou_2:

Skin grafts finished on fingers

Have a strange desire to sniff or lick resin

Lay down and do angel shapes in resin dust

Go find a quiet corner amongst the resin dust and look lustily at a catalogue of resin models while muttering to yourself...... :mental:

gee almost forgot how much I love the stuff! :bleh:

You are bored aren't you!! :hanging:

The problem with the Yak is that the tailplanes are already moulded on, but slightly bent downwards - they may have got hot with a previous owner. Not me, no sir! So it's a case of frottering them back onto the straight and level. They other exciting thing about this kit, is that you have to cut your own side windows out. Which should be fun. Plus vacform canopy, odd resin puddles, general oddness and a nice injection Alfa Yak-6 looking at me and saying 'why'?

It was either that or the 0-47, which has a beautifully bent fuselage or a Yak-3 which is just... enough said.

The He 114 is, however, lovely, and not to be touched until I'm 100% sure I can undertake the job to my satisfaction.

Review on another forum by me here... http://z9.invisionfree.com/Classic_British_Kits/index.php?showtopic=541

Chris

Edited by English Electric

they all sound wonderful!!!! :bleh:

If the bend is too bad just as easy to cut off and scratch build replacements, else careful use of hot water and clamps should work.

Someone on here is bound to have the trick to sort it out.

Cutting out windows isn't too bad, but vacform canopies..yuck!! :sick:

But join the fun, there'll be heaps of members with the experance to help you out and that'll be half the fun of this GB.

Hm, I have 3 resin kits in my stash, and this could be a good opportunity to start (AW FK.10, a Venom and the MB.5). I think I could start with the MB.5. After all, it's the easiest of these three....

Alex

I thought I was sharing all the goods points of resin models!

If you want the real truth of building resin models.....................................

Buggy on iPad, don't have access to wee faces!,,

• 2 weeks later...

Did I sign up for this yet?

What should it be...either an XF-108 or an XF-103? It has to be something weird, since that's what resin is for. If you want mainstream then go injection moulded, right? :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

Ouch. Its a full resin and pe tank and i dont think i could complete it in that time. I assume it would be against the rules if i started it early and came in with it part done?

i think id be ok if i was allowed to remove the pour plugs and clean the pieces up before hand as there are quite a few parts this would take forever. if so then i'd be in. its a Legend Centurion MK5 1/35 LF1092

i think id be ok if i was allowed to remove the pour plugs and clean the pieces up before hand as there are quite a few parts this would take forever. if so then i'd be in. its a Legend Centurion MK5 1/35 LF1092

I don't think anyone will get upset at all it you start to clean up the parts and remove them from the plugs.

As long as all the major assemblies still need to be done and painting as well I think we could even let some of the minor assemblies be started.

As this build was thought up as a great chance for modellers to "break their cherries" :newb: as you say on resin, plus for closet resin fiends to "come out" :whistle:.....again as they say. .

This is to be a bit of a light hearted build where expert advice (????) is available to anyone silly enough to ask. :banghead:

Plus to show off some of the more unusual models that are around in resin.

I for one would love to see some resin AFV's in the build, invite any others you know to come and join the fun.

PS: the drinking of red wine is not required......but it does make the pain go away when you CA glue something backwards! :doh:

Did I sign up for this yet?

What should it be...either an XF-108 or an XF-103? It has to be something weird, since that's what resin is for. If you want mainstream then go injection moulded, right? :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

See resin has gotten into your blood....

I'm almost finished a Anigrand XF-103, wasn't an easy build, left the weapons bays open, not a goo idea! But still the 103 or 108 would be nice to see!

Got you Dazz and Wayne.

we're now at 23, can we make the 30??

Well I have two choices here, one is I build the resin Firefly Serenity model I posted earlier in the thread, but the other and slightly more ambitious project would be to finally get round to building that Scimitar 2 I've been wanting to build for a couple of years.

enhanced+Combat+Vehicle+Reconnaissance+_

This would involve chopping two Accurate Armour resin kits (the Samson and the Spartan) in half and rejoining the back of the Samson to the front of the Spartan (Its all down to the location of the turret in the newer Samsons - they are now the same as the Spartan rather than being in the middle as the AA Samson kit depicts. Doing this surgery will allow me to at some later date build an updated Samson!)

Then I'd need to add the Scimitar turret then a whole load of bar armour plus the anti-IED electronics and sundry other items to bring it up to date...

Edited by Kallisti

• 2 weeks later...