Airfix Vampire T11

Martian

Looking good Martin, did you experience and distortion of the upper wing piece and the boom joints. I'm having to push and pull to get a good fit. Plus I had to take some material away from the notch outboard of the intake.

Colin

No issues at all. there is a bit of filling in the area but no more that you would expect of an airaraft of this configuration.

Martin

Looking good Martin, did you experience and distortion of the upper wing piece and the boom joints. I'm having to push and pull to get a good fit. Plus I had to take some material away from the notch outboard of the intake.

Colin

Had my Dad staying this weekend which has put the brakes on a bit but I shoud get more done Sunday evening. I want to get the last of the filler rubbed down and the canopies sorted out and the fore and aft sections glued in place. I think I will just add brake lines to the undercarriage and leave it at that as I want to get painting sooner rather than later on this one. I can always go to town on a later one of these kits and hopefully by then we will have some nice colour etch from messers Eduard and some of those nice whitemetal seats from Aeroclub that John is working on.

Martin

Single Type Group Build? Now there's a thought! Mish!

Right! Some actual pictures tonight and a couple of heads up.

I had the thought, based on previous experience with other kits, that the kit pylons might need a bit of filling and if so, It would be better to find out now and postpone rubbing down the model until they had been filled. A quick check revealed that although a bead of filler would be necessary, filling would be nowhere near as bad as some kits I have built. Anyway, having noted that there was a break in the underwing serials where the tanks would go, I cemented them in place. These will get a quick smear of filler when they are set (now taken care of). I would recommend this way of fitting the tanks as opposed to risking spoiling the paint finish later on.

The second thing I picked up on was that, as I was masking the canopy parts, they were flexing due to the commendable thinness of the parts and I found this a bit unnerving. There is nothing we can do about this at the moment other than take extra care when masking them off, but, if and when Eduard get round to issuing a set of pre-cut masks for this kit, they be used to eliminate any risk of damaging the canopy parts whilst masking.

Anyhow, here we are at the moment:

Thanks for looking

Martin

Tanks1_zpsee507249.jpg

Canopy1_zpsf1280847.jpg

• Like 2

Martin,

I've been following this build with interest as I have one on the go but haven't been able to touch due to my modelling bench being blocked off.

I can't wait to get back to it, this thread has been very informative and inspiring as I too often lose enthusiasm and need a mojo builder.

Wez

Thanks guys, Although we have seen some very impressive and quick builds, I feel that this kit does repay taking one's time over as far as we mortals are concerned. I am also finding that by just doing very small bits of the kit at a time, some of the small wrinkles are surfacing and I am also getting my Mojo back which, after all, was the whole point of this build!

Martin

• Like 1

Evening All,

Today I have been mostly sanding and polishing the model before getting on with the external detailing. The accompanying pictures aren;t the most exciting ever poated on this site but they do give an impression of how little filler the kit needs. Most of this is on the under surfaces, with very little needed on top. I have tried to show this in the photos.

Hopefully the next pictures will be a bit more interesting. I wish I knew what Sea Vampire decals are in the offing for this kit I would make the choice of paint scheme for this model a bit easier. I am still very attracted to the Brawdy scheme but I can feel it in my water that as soon as I do it, the markings will become available commercially. Plus ca change!

Thanks for looking in

Martin

Filler1_zps39860361.jpg

Filler2_zpsc5ede1e2.jpg

• Like 1

Build one then as it takes up no space at all, 4" x 4"?

Martin

Looking good. Must build mine when I have the space

Trevor

I would at least do so on the lower wing roots and lower booms as the gaps are far too wide, even for a derelict aircraft such as you are modelling. The other areas should be fine for your purposes.

Martin

I'm purposely not putting filler on mine in places :)

Can't do anything about that I'm afraid!

Marrtin

Fair point.. Though I may hide them with scenics.. I am, after all, horrendously lazy..

Been feeling a bit washed out today but I did manage to sort out the wing tip lights. I simply cut away the appropriate sections of the wing tips and added some sections from the kit's clear sprue, thus:

lights1_zpsf155440e.jpg

and a few minutes with a file and some Micromesh obliged with the rest, so:

lights2_zps9085db37.jpg

Thanks for looking

Martin

• Like 3

Build one then as it takes up no space at all, 4" x 4"?

Martin

I mean in the sense that where the kit is stashed in the garage, there is a new bathroom in boxes waiting to be installed and I can't get to it!

Trevor

Last night I replaced the blisters on the uper wing roots and what looks like a couple of vents on the lower roots. You may recall that I removed these for ease of rubbing down the model earlier in the build. I also added some cartridge ejection shutes and popped a filler cap in eack of the underwing fuel tanks. I will rub these down this evening so that they do not stand proud of the tanks..

Next up is to reinstate any panel lines that may have got obliterated during the cleaning up of the airframe and then to start on the undercarriage parts. I do need to reflect on my choice of colour scheme for this model in the light of the fact that Xtradecal are doing my original choice of scheme on their forthcoming sheet. Do I wait and get the sheet, even though it only has one Fleet Air Arm subject on it, do I do this model in another FAA scheme and do another using the Xtradecal sheet or do I do the scheme anyway and save the cost of a decal sheet that only has one subject of interest on it for me? Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for looking

Martin

PS: Sorry if this thread seems a bit laboured but I am doing it this way to see what issues crop up with the kit so that I can flag them up for others.

Detail2_zps19e736c2.jpg

Detail1_zps4a48fd28.jpg

Martin

PS: Sorry if this thread seems a bit laboured but I am doing it this way to see what issues crop up with the kit so that I can flag them up for others.

Hello Martin,

Splendid work on your Vampire. I hope I speak for everyone when I say no need to apologise. Threads like yours make it easier for those who follow so please, continue in the same vein.

This will be a little gem by the time you've finished. Keep it up.

cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

I agree with geedubelyer and please keep it coming. It now looks like we will be back in the UK (the noise you hear are the tears of joy) and I will be picking up one or two of these and the Spitfire XIX to bring back. So I will be making much use of your thread.

Not to upset the apple cart, but if I may ask: How is the Gotha?

Happy modelling,

Christian the Married and exiled to Africa

Edited by wyverns4

Thanks guys, I will do some more on the Gotha when I have finished this build. I definitely need the boost of getting something finished before I get involved in something as complicated as the Gotha. I really don't know why but every time I am ill for any length of time my confidence and mojo seem to go out of the window and take quite a bit of getting back. I can't quite see the logic in it but there it is, it happens. Answers on a postcard.......................

Martin