What-if III

Col.

I like the sound of your He177 (HE277?) with the three - by which I guess you mean three pairs so six in total? - conventional engines and the auxilary jets hauling a big radar and a couple nukes Rich. Or maybe fit a parasite fighter or even suicide attack 'plane in there somewhere? Didn't you know US air defences cut the first wave of Amerika-bombers down before they could reach New York Rich so they had to quickly develop a large guided missile to give a realistic chance of making the journey worthwhile? :boom:

The Griffon Hurricane and the single engineed Lightning-lite both sound cracking to me Allan but all those ideas are great.

• Like 1

I like the sound of your He177 (HE277?) with the three - by which I guess you mean three pairs so six in total? - conventional engines and the auxilary jets hauling a big radar and a couple nukes Rich. Or maybe fit a parasite fighter or even suicide attack 'plane in there somewhere? Didn't you know US air defences cut the first wave of Amerika-bombers down before they could reach New York Rich so they had to quickly develop a large guided missile to give a realistic chance of making the journey worthwhile? :boom:

The Griffon Hurricane and the single engineed Lightning-lite both sound cracking to me Allan but all those ideas are great.

Ha Ha....what about my death ray!!! :D

Ha Ha....what about my death ray!!! :D

Even though it's quite an undertaking and we aren't sure when this GB kicks off I'm sure you'll be finished before you shuffle of this mortal coil ;) By the way, who's Ray?

Well, Well, Well, Not even passed vote yet and already things are buzzing. Fantastic :jump_fire:

Might have to up my game a bit.....

Chatting to shermaniac last night and he wants to do the Ju52 NOW!! Told him to calm down and suggested a couple of other things to keep him distracted :whistle:

Thanks Col . :thumbsup2: Actually, I'll probably keep the Lightning for the Lightning G B!.

Allan

I'm up for it - might re-start the failed Avro-Blackburn 42 that didn't get anywhere

Or I could do a FAA Westland Welking, Meteor in SEAC scheme or BPF FAA, or a self propelled 17pdr on a Honey Chassis (all assuming, without research) that these are whifs)

• Like 1

I lost my first mockup so had too do it again.

haven't quite made up my mind on the tail, thou will probably go for the one without the center section.

Paint job a special Lo-Vis camouflage for low level anti-shipping operations in the mid Atlantic.

He-177Zwillingsmall_zps9b7f2e14.jpg

• Like 3

I lost my first mockup so had too do it again.

haven't quite made up my mind on the tail, thou will probably go for the one without the center section.

Paint job a special Lo-Vis camouflage for low level anti-shipping operations in the mid Atlantic.

He-177Zwillingsmall_zps9b7f2e14.jpg

:wow::wow:

I have GOT to get me one of those!!!. That just looks TOTALLY plausible! :thumbsup:

Allan

ps - Just a thought Rich but, instead of a pair of Pak 37s, what about a pair of 37mm Flak Zwilling mounts or, maybe a pair of 50mm Flak 41 cannons? These rapid fire weapons would be devastating against shipping? A big aircraft like your Heinkel could certainly accommodate them

Edited by Albeback52

That's an awfully big wing. I think the seperate tail surfaces wouldn't have nearly enough control authority and the aircraft would likely have a large degree of longitudinal instability. I'd go for the full option.

I think this is a great project. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh plastic. :D

Edited by Enzo Matrix

I agree with Enzo in that the first option looks like the most plausible. It would also make the model stronger and reduce the risk of it cracking the wing/fuselage joints.

In the same vein it would make a very big target for AA fire so why not go for missiles? That huge wing could accommodate glide bombs, Hs293, torpedoes or just about anything else. That way your plane could stand off at a safe distance and do it's wicked work. It'll be an anti-ship Death Star.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.

:wow::wow:

I have GOT to get me one of those!!!. That just looks TOTALLY plausible! :thumbsup:

Allan

ps - Just a thought Rich but, instead of a pair of Pak 37s, what about a pair of 37mm Flak Zwilling mounts or, maybe a pair of 50mm Flak 41 cannons? These rapid fire weapons would be devastating against shipping? A big aircraft like your Heinkel could certainly accommodate them

I like your thinking with the Flak 41's! :thumbsup: I am leaning towards a totally Anti-shipping beast with standoff weapons. With a pair of the Flak 41's I’ll probably now mount a radar done above them, sort of early fire control/surface attack radar!

I agree structurally the first option is the most sound, you can just imagine the structural forces on the wing centre section!!! But for typical design bizarreness the centre option has it! I may even leave off the extra jets, not sure yet, as they’ll be in pods they can be left for last….or only fitted when operationally required???

Have a couple of the Revell beasties on the way and A5 and A6, will attempt to cast a copy of the A6’s turret and fit to the A5’s body, that way I’ll have dual turrets at the back. Weapons may include rockets powered “Fritz X” bombs!

OOoooo I can’t wait now!!!!!!

WhatIf III or Luft46, it's going to get built!! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Tricky!

Re the Flak 41. Didn't have a clue what one was so Googled it - big beastie isn't it? What would the recoil be like from one, let alone two :0

Mossie XVIII's apparently shuddered from their Molins cannon, so I dread to think the stresses on your beastie!

Still it would ruin the day of those in the receiving end.

Trevor

• Like 1

I agree with Enzo in that the first option looks like the most plausible. It would also make the model stronger and reduce the risk of it cracking the wing/fuselage joints.

In the same vein it would make a very big target for AA fire so why not go for missiles? That huge wing could accommodate glide bombs, Hs293, torpedoes or just about anything else. That way your plane could stand off at a safe distance and do it's wicked work. It'll be an anti-ship Death Star.

The Heinkel HE-277 Todes Stern (Death Star)! I LIKE THAT!! :D

Allan

Dunno if I get the whole GB thing correct (sorry for my ignorance) - does it mean a group of modellers will start a certain subject on a fixed date and will have like three months to finish it? Each is working on his own kit?

Rene

Yes and the more insane the idea the better!

• Like 1

Dunno if I get the whole GB thing correct (sorry for my ignorance) - does it mean a group of modellers will start a certain subject on a fixed date and will have like three months to finish it? Each is working on his own kit?

Rene

Yes and the more insane the idea the better!

That pretty much covers it :D
  • Like 1

Tricky!

Re the Flak 41. Didn't have a clue what one was so Googled it - big beastie isn't it? What would the recoil be like from one, let alone two :0

Mossie XVIII's apparently shuddered from their Molins cannon, so I dread to think the stresses on your beastie!

Still it would ruin the day of those in the receiving end.

Trevor

They do sound awesome! Though I still haven't finalized the gun layout, originally it was going to be a pair of auto fed Pak37’s in the lower section of the nose, with a Pak43 (88mm) pretty much centre of the nose manually fed with a high-tech (???) recoil system.

Now leaning towards a pair of BK 5cm Auto Cannons, with attack radar above them. :wicked:

The tail(s) will have the Quad gun turrets though this config may change so as I can fit a radar in the tail!

Speaking of radar it will have fitted a modified (ie improved) version of the FuG 244 Bremen that had a rotating antenna. So I can either fit it in an teardrop pod with 360° rotation, mounted above the centre engine or in the nose and tail (similar to the AWACs Nimrod) with 180° scan. So I’ll either have 5 or 6 turrets depending on the radar!

Plus armed with standoff weapons, a low altitude beast!!! :thumbsup:

That pretty much covers it :D

sorry there's no room for sanity here....... :whistle:

OK - thanks - count me in, though I am not sure about the subject yet. I have several choices:

1. Insane Whif in it self: An A-6 - a winged and piloted V-2/A4 based on the 1:48 Pegasus V-2 kit.

2. Not so insane: A Mossie Bendix racer (there were some) based on a dismantled and incomplete Tamiya kit (it was fully build with broken props and U/C and heavily yellowed clearcoat - but I already stripped it to bare plastic - so it is in the condition of an unbuild kit with missing parts. It is not really started I mean and I hope this is OK. Missing parts will be replaced with Verlinden Sea Mosquito conversion. Canopy will be replaced by a blown one, offset to the left, similar as Canberra B I(8).

3. A Me 609 based on one Czech Models Me 309 (some headaches here as I only have one fuselage, prop. Will have to recast them.

None as breathtaking as the Todesstern Greif but I think the Mossi would look pretty cool:

WoodenWonderBendix_zpsa02b0333.jpg

Cheers,

Rene

• Like 5

Ooh! Please do the Mossie racer Rene. It looks stunning with the cut-down canopy. My only concern is the wood grain finish. The plywood used in Mosquito construction had a very light colour and fine grain that may prove difficult to replicate correctly in scale. Perhaps go for gold or silver to match the black for a classy looking race scheme?