So just suppose for a minute....

Jennings Heilig

Supposing the USAF suddenly found that the aging F-15 fleet all had early fatigue cracks. And they had to turn to the BAE Typhoon FG1????? ^_^

or even (heaven forbid) had to replace a large fleet of clapped out KC-135s and, had to choose Airbus A330s because it was superior to any home produced article. Hang on a minute.........................!!! :lol:;)

PS - Like the profile Jennings. However, I'm not really a fan of these boring, overall grey low-viz schemes! I reckon it would look even better medium sea grey/dark green with /white (or light grey ) undersides AND proper full colour squadron markings! :D . A replacement for the Victor perhaps?.

I remember talking to a KC driver at Fairford & he made an interesting comment about the Victor :

" that's a beautiful machine. I'm really impressed with the way the Brits built a spaceship & then turned it into a tanker!"

A compliment to the Handley Page team who produced a design that even when it retired still (in my view anyway) looked futuristic! :D

Edited by Albeback52

Good "what if" but I think the flying boom would be dispensed with totally, just two drogue units on wings

Andy

I read an article somewhere that that some USAF pilots preferred to be refueled by the VC-10 because of the drogues on its wing and one on its belly

I read an article somewhere that that some USAF pilots preferred to be refueled by the VC-10 because of the drogues on its wing and one on its belly

I should imagine those were USAF pilots from a good many years ago when USAF still had refueling probes as standard on some machines. Either that or USAF pilots on exchange.

I believe the comment about the VC-10 does not come from USAF pilots but from US Navy ones. During OIF several RAF tankers were used to support USN operations and there have indeed been comments of this type. The probe-and-drogue system on the KC-135 is known to cause some problems on USN aircrafts, as shown by the habit of Tomcat units to delete the probe door to avoid this being broken, something that does not happen with the USN own tankers and the RAF ones.

It is true however that in several USAF circles there are some who would like to see a return to the older probeand-drogue system because this allows more tactical fighters to be refuelled at the same time. The flying boom on the other hand allows a faster fuel transfer that makes a huge difference when refuelling a bomber or a transport type.

I have seen some suggestions for a modified F-16 fuel tank incorporating a probe at its tip to allow the Falcon to use this system. Something like that was used on the F-84G many years ago !

Edited by Giorgio N

US Navy Tanker aircraft from carriers and land always used the hose /drogue method didn't they. I'm sure of that. Nevr seen pics of KC-130s, KA-6 etc, with rigid booms for air to air topping up.

Indeed. Most of the USAF's KC-135 fleet are nowhere remotely near their expected lifetime limits. The average a/c flies less than 300 hours a year.

Be that as it may, it would not be a cost effective option. There's a reason why the USAF is becoming desparate for the KC-X...

KC-135

USAF Worries

Indeed. Most of the USAF's KC-135 fleet are nowhere remotely near their expected lifetime limits. The average a/c flies less than 300 hours a year.

The article that Sundowner14 linked to has the age range as 14370 - 33977 hours. I'm not sure how well that stacks up against the RAF's TriStars when they bought them, but I'd expect to see a fair bit of canvas showing on the tyres, shall we say.

On the other hand, if the last KC-135s aren't expected to retire until 2043, we could perhaps squeeze twenty years out of them, I suppose. But would they get such low usage?

Edited by pigsty

All the more reasons why they should bite the bullet and buy BAE/French!

I believe the USAF DID originally choose the Airbus A330 over the KC-767. Unfortunately, that was the "wrong" choice!! (at least politically!) :angrysoapbox.sml:

Edited by Albeback52

I believe the USAF DID originally choose the Airbus A330 over the KC-767. Unfortunately, that was the "wrong" choice!! (at least politically!) :angrysoapbox.sml:

What ever the reason its never going to happen, we need to live with it even if we dont like it.

No point to keep harping on.

Julien

That doesn't look all that similar to what the RAF have already got (albeit in a different role!) except it's got a dangly bit at the back rather than a daft dish on the top! I'd rather keep the VC-10 for several more years......much much more character than the 135!

Cheers,

Carl.

Be that as it may, it would not be a cost effective option. There's a reason why the USAF is becoming desparate for the KC-X...

The **exact** same stuff was published when the KC-10 program was underway over 30 years ago. I've got some of the clippings. The '135 is dead, it can't be supported, they're cracking beyond use, etc, etc, etc. The fact is, the KC-135 will likely be around after the KC-10 is gone, and may very well outlast the KC-46. A large portion of the fleet is *way* below its design lifetime airframe limit. The main limiting factor is parts that are no longer manufactured. The USAF has no plans to completely retire the '135 before 2040 at the earliest, by which time the youngest '135 in the fleet will be 75 years old :) There are over 400 '135s in service, and we'll never have remotely that many KC-46s and KC-10s combined.

Edited by Jennings Heilig