1/72 Academy A-10A

Right, at long last I have finished my A-10 and am very pleased with the final result! A couple of new tricks were tried out on this build, and it was also the first time I used a dual-action airbrush in anger. I had a go with some new shading methods in order to darken and lighten areas on it, as well as blending it all in. All worked well! I wanted a fairly well weathered one, and that's what I got! It wasn't my most enjoyable build, and I did really struggle with enthusiasm during the painting stages due to the masking involved, but I persevered with it and it turned out almost exactly how I wanted it, so result as far as I'm concerned!

One thing that I do have left to do is to add a pair of AIM-9's on the last pylon. I couldn't find a dual launcher for it, so I'm on the lookout for one of those in order to finish off.

OK, quick build info...

Kit - Academy A-10A (1987 boxing)

Decals - Xtradecal X72-010 sheet

Paints - FS34102 (Xtracrylix XA1116), FS34092 (Xtracrylix XA1114), FS36081 (Gunze Sangyo H339), Xtracrylix XA1111 for the ordnance, apart from Citdael Skull White for the Mavericks.

Promodeller Washes - Dark & Black

Extra's - Seat belts made from Tamiya Tape, Hasegawa decals for stencilling (as the Academy ones were useless!) Weapons from Hasegawa weapons sets.

OK, enough waffle... Here's the finished product...

58854b51.jpg

9eded658.jpg

1a9ce9a6.jpg

a890e7bc.jpg

5d95cb76.jpg

dae78038.jpg

b430776e.jpg

370de744.jpg

77e31523.jpg

a203c9a9.jpg

b8b03f83.jpg

bb2c1757.jpg

97fd49f3.jpg

df582184.jpg

As you can probably tell, I'm quite chuffed with it! :D

Well, let me know what you think!! :shrug:

Karl.

• Like 1

Thats awesome Karl, the paint job looks fantastic :thumbsup!

She's armed to ruddy teeth mate, certainly wouldn't want to be on the end of it :fraidnot:

:goodjob:

That paint job is fantastic Karl! I have always preferred that scheme to the later all-over light grey, it brings back happy memories of the 80's......

The Academy kit looks pretty good, did you have any problems with it? I was going to get the Italeri kit, but that looks just as nice.

Dave

Very nice, Karl. You've really nailed the finish on this one, it has to be the best yet.

Well done, mate

Ian

As you can probably tell, I'm quite chuffed with it! :D

Karl.

And you have every right to be Karl, its bloody gorgeous Ol' Chap :thumbsup2:

Bex

Thanks folks... glad you liked it!

To rafalbert : The Academy kit is fine, no real problems in construction at all... don't know if they've corrected it in the later versions, but the door for the access ladder is the wrong way around... the cut out but at the bottom is on the wrong side!! Didn't notice that until I came to put the decal on it!

Karl.