Italeri 1/48th Hawk T.1 in at Model Hobbies

GreenDragon

According to the website the new Italeri Hawk is in stock at £17.99. Linky http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/italeri...69-p-14446.html

They also have a Dragon Sale on at the moment and half price Airfix Nimrods.

Hannants have the Hawk listed as a future release at £19.99.

Paul Harrison

Does anyone have any info on this kit yet?

IF it is a good modern accurate well fitting kit, then I need to go and buy one straight away. And I would probably start building it straight away too..

Surely the question is not how quickly you start building it, but how quickly you throw it at the wall? :whistle:

I thought it was a bit pricey too Mike, it'll have to be good at nearly double the Airfix kit price. You've probably all seen this already but here's a link to Hannants pic of the decal sheet. http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=IT2669&PIC_NO=1

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

Thanks Paul,

I hadn't seen the decal sheet before now. Oh boy! I want one, I want 5! I have 4 Airfix Hawks in the stash and 2 on the bench but if the plastic is as good as the decal sheet and the etched stuff is worth having, £17.99 (or even £19.99) could turn out to be a good price.

Phil.

Wonderland claim to have it for £16 but it isn't 1n the Italeri catalogue yet. decal options shown on the Hannants site look ok but I would have liked a red/white/grey one. Still, there's always the aftermarket boys I suppose.

Tony :clif:

Wonderland claim to have it for £16 but it isn't 1n the Italeri catalogue yet. decal options shown on the Hannants site look ok but I would have liked a red/white/grey one. Still, there's always the aftermarket boys I suppose.

I agree Tony but you can't go wrong with this decal sheet:

Xtradecals - 27 Hawks!

Phil.

Well, in a sense they did add a red/white/grey one, as the swiss is in the same RAF colours :lol:

I like the tiger's head in the decal sheet, 48 is not my scale but if the kit is really good I might do an exception ! The price looks high to me anyway, I wonder if the box includes a booklet like others ? This might explain it. I was hoping to see Italeri present last week at a fair in Milan but they weren't there, so no news.

Giorgio

Noone's seen the plastic yet and the Italeri-bashing has started already.

Stephen :rolleyes:

Well, I've seen it, fondled it and bought it. The kit looks great. OK, there's a little bit of flash here and there, one or two sink marks, but the detail is very good generally. There is a small fret of brass including instrument panels, side consoles, seat belts and mirrors. The decals are printed by Cartograph and look fine to me, but there are loads of other options available from aftermarket companies.

Noone's seen the plastic yet and the Italeri-bashing has started already.

Stephen :rolleyes:

Actually that was a Mental bash, not an Italeri bash. If the Hawk is as good as their Staghound then it should be a fine kit indeed.

Actually that was a Mental bash, not an Italeri bash. If the Hawk is as good as their Staghound then it should be a fine kit indeed.

Nev- I think you will find I was being "hopefully positive" about a kit I would buy at least 2 or 3 of if' it's up to model up to modern standards- I'll leave it there...

And my question is......

What's wrong with the Airfix kit so I could justify spending that money before SWMBO will hang me from my (rude word here) apart from a nice decal sheet???

And my question is......

What's wrong with the Airfix kit so I could justify spending that money before SWMBO will hang me from my (rude word here) apart from a nice decal sheet???

A bit of a lack of detail, and what there is there is soft. As a lot of us would buy cockpit & wheelbay sets anyway, that's not really a problem :shrug: of course, if the Italeri kit has all this OOB, then it's a bargain! :)

Does anybody have any sprue shots of the kit yet? So we can make more informed decisions as to whether the kit is worth the money. I suspect though it will come down to which of the two kits suit the individual modeller's style, taste and/or pocket. For example if you want lots of detail from the box the Italeri kit might be the better buy. If, however, you are more interested in doing lots of colour schemes and are on a budget ( which of us isn't feeling the pinch a bit these days?) then probably the Airfix kit will be the way to go.

Martin

Errrr- we need 2000 word essay and at least 50 photo's by 9pm- get to it laddie

Maybe not 2000 words, but initial impressions are as follows: cockpit tub is simplified and although detail can be added from the brass fret, this is not always accurate. There are no throttle levers provided. The seats look quite good but again not 100%. The canopy has a raised frame line corresponding to the interior windshield which the real thing does not There is a finely engraved MDC.

The fuselage is generally good with engraved panel lines and even some very fine raied rivets at the rear as on the real thing. Air intakes at side of fuselage are much better shape than the Airfix kit, but parts 23a and 25a could still benefit from being thinned a little There are small air intakes moulded in at the appropriate locations, The two large ram air intakes on top of the fuselage behind the cockpit are separate parts. There are numerous cooling vents, and the small pipe outlet on the rear starboard fuselage side is moulded separately but will require drilling out. There is no fuel dump pipe for the port side.The rudder is a separate part.

The wings have good detail and separate flaps. The wheel wells are detailed, but once again this is not too accurate. Two sets of flap actuators are supplied so that the flaps can be deploted open or closed. The actuators for the open option are wrongly detailed. Breaker strips are moulded in to the wing leading edges, but the large wing fences are supplied separately and might benefit from some thinning down to a more scale thickness. The vortex generators are provided.

The undercarriage looks quite good but might benefit from some more detail. The wheels are moulded with flats. The bays have some detail but nothing like the real thing. The undercarriage doors are too thick and the main ones have over emphasised detail on the inside surfaces.

Weapons look pretty good to me. The Aden gun seems especially nice. Pylons hav some nice detail.

None of the above criticisms should pose any problems for modellers who want a very nice representation of the Hawk T Mk1