Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

Fingers and toes crossed, thumbs held, (its a Swedish thing...).

Cracking build and quality save. Makes me want to go and tickle the stash monsters tummy so that it can regurgitate one of these!

On-On,

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Giorgio

They are Montex masks, stuck onto the wing but not yet sprayed: the codes will be black

Doh! Sure, now that I see the pic on a big screen, I can clearly see the mask. I'm a huge fan of painted on markings, way to go :thumbsup::thumbsup: 

Ciao

6 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ta-daaahhh!

36960654783_fcdb88aa83_c.jpg

I'm intrigued with the use of these Montex masks to spray paint the serials - I've not used them - do they come in a range of serial font types and is each letter/numeral applied separately? - roundels too?

CJP

The short answer it "it depends".  Montex produce numerous sets that are designed for a specific kit / marking set - effectively they reproduce the original transfers in mask form (or at least the bigger ones: roundels, serials, etc - but not the smaller stencils in this case), along with canopy & wheel masks (though in this case the canopy masks proved to be only for the Mk47, which has a different shaped windscreen).  This set popped up on Hannants when I was looking for options to replace the original Airfix transfers, which are over 20 years old and look somewhat average alongside modern equivalents (I have since seen the re-boxing of this FR46/47 kit, which has transfers for Caspar John's Lossie Station Flight Mk46, rather than the 1832 NAS aircraft I am building, and the later transfers are much sharper).  VP461/178/P (the 800NAS HMS Triumph Mk47 from the original kit) is also included in the Montex set.

With these sets, the serials etc are produced in a group (not digit by digit); this hasn't survived the removal process completely intact, but you get the gist:

23778849808_37d2712237_c.jpg

When you first get it, the mask is complete; only once it is in position do you remove the (in this case) letters and numbers, ideally in a single go using ordinary masking tape on top, as in this example:

36921488024_403d086a29_c.jpg

You can  just about make out in that second photo that the grey things alongside are future roundels.

On the other hand... you can also order bespoke sets; I did this for my Sea King HAS5.  There are options for font, size etc. (from memory you provide measurements).  The roundels arrive as above, but for bespoke sets the serials are applied digit by digit.  It makes it slightly harder to ensure alignment - but alignment is probably the hardest bit about masks in the first place, so you have to take your time, measure etc. anyway.  They work beautifully - being vinyl, I have had far fewer issues with bleed along panel lines etc with these than with "ordinary" Kabuki-type masking tape.  They easily coped with the squillion lumps bumps and rivets on my Sea King!

Highly recommended; after the Sea King build I am a complete convert.   The yellow 104 and CH markings will also be masked in this build.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can only vouch for what Crisp said; I've never used Montex Masks because I did cut my own masks from vynil, but I think it is exactly the same material and, likewise, no paint creeps and nicely conforming to lumps and bumps

Ciao

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giemme said:

I can only vouch for what Crisp said; I've never used Montex Masks because I did cut my own masks from vynil, but I think it is exactly the same material and, likewise, no paint creeps and nicely conforming to lumps and bumps

Ciao

Please could you be a little more specific on what you mean by\is 'vynil'

20 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ciao

As Denford asks can you tell us what the vinyl is, where you get it from

And why I've become this old without using them myself

OK just tell us where to get it, the other 'thing' is entirely my own fault

I get really fed up trying to mask properly with kabuchi/tamiya tape which always has some point of leakage and I've been masking models since the early sixties...

Dohhh

😈

Bill / Denford - perhaps best explanation is here:

http://shop.maketar.com/?page_id=87

Now that I think about it, my bespoke Sea King masks were indeed Maketar, not Montex.  These Seafire masks are definitely Montex.  As they say, there are plusses & minuses to Kabuki vs Vinyl (vinyl better for little detail - especially in your beloved 1/72, Bill - but not as robust or long-lasting).  My experience has been equally positive with both brands, but Maketar have much more info about how it works and how to do it on their website - so much easier for you to read something by someone who knows what they’re talking about, rather than me (a simple User).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Denford said:

Please could you be a little more specific on what you mean by\is 'vynil'

3 hours ago, perdu said:

As Denford asks can you tell us what the vinyl is, where you get it from

And why I've become this old without using them myself

OK just tell us where to get it, the other 'thing' is entirely my own fault

I get really fed up trying to mask properly with kabuchi/tamiya tape which always has some point of leakage and I've been masking models since the early sixties...

Dohhh

😈

Sorry for being so short in my post, busy day. What I use is Oramask 810, bought here: https://www.aerografando.it/product_info.php?products_id=958

I used it both for cutting mask by hand (with an exacto knife) and through a proper cutter (Brother Scan'n'cut, in my case); there's a little SBS on how I used said masks in my build thread here:

I had, like Bill, previously tried making my own masks with Tamiya tape, but that isn't enough flexible to conform to lumps and bumps, and I always had some paint creeping.

HTH

Ciao

• Like 1

This is very frustrating.  

Don't panic!  The Seafire is fine…  However, I slipped over walking the dog a few days ago, and have trapped a nerve in my neck; either you are an old git like me, in which case you will understand, or you are a young whipper-snapper, in which case your turn will come along sooner than you think (so stop laughing!).  

The upshot is that I am as stiff as a very stiff thing (fnarr), but more pertinently the trapped nerve means that the thumb and index finger of my right hand are numb - and I am VERY right handed.  This makes me as clumsy as a very clumsy person in Clutzville, with a particular reason to be clumsy.  

I am thus not doing anything even remotely complicated to the Seafire - let alone anything involving creativity, finesse or a steady hand.

I am being treated by my friendly chiropractor, and it is improving, but only slowly.

For the present, therefore, here is a picture of LA561 in her current state, banking gracefully away to starboard (thus defying the laws of aerodynamics, simce her ailerons are in the opposite sense!). The only things that have changed since you last saw her are the removal of the masking tape that covered up the black primer, and a clear coat sealing in the underside (especially the serials) to protect the paint.

37625468742_27cfe41ac3_c.jpg

More when I can feel my bloody fingers!

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 11
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

However, I slipped over walking the dog a few days ago, and have trapped a nerve in my neck; either you are an old git like me, in which case you will understand, or you are a young whipper-snapper, in which case your turn will come along sooner than you think (so stop laughing!).  

Understand.  Fellow old git.  Fell off me bike on Sunday.  Road rash on the left hip and elbow, stiff and sore neck and wounded pride.  Used to get over such things an awful lot faster thirty years ago..........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

14 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Used to get over such things an awful lot faster thirty years ago.......

Didn't we all? :( But let's stop talking like old gits - with age, you've both become great modellrs, to say the least :)

Crisp, I love that dynamic pic, although she's going to bank into a huge Pepsi cloud... :D

BTW: had my back trouble last week too, and I can't even connect it to a specific trauma ... talk about wounded pride ...

Ciao

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your fall Crisp. It’s unsettling to end up unexpectedly on the ground and very frustrating when the said tumble results in loss of function. Patience and perseverance. 

• Like 1

If we're doing injuries not realistically collected by accident (Look at Giorgio, trampling ruthlessly all over  mountains isn't maintaining a steady itinerary is it)  a few weeks ago we had the back garden fence replaced (for the first time I didn't do it, we paid a small firm* to do it)

Because we paid a small bunch of *cheapskates he refused to dispose of the fence because "council charges made it a sixty quid + trip" so I resolved to take the panels in the Midget

four 6x6 panels take up a lot of real estate on the back yard path so I whisked the cut down panels round the side of the houses and put them in the Midget

Three trips  got it all disposed off and Bill was a happy bunny who hoovered (Henry'ed) the boot and interior of the Midge

Next day however...

My back was wrecked

:(

I am not young enough for these games any more

Crisp she looks lovely in two-tone, mojo must be nearly fully full by now

:)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, perdu said:

...four 6x6 panels take up a lot of real estate on the back yard path so I whisked the cut down panels round the side of the houses and put them in the Midget...

When I was a boy in Nottinghamshire, my Dad had a mate who was ... shall we say “somewhat eccentric”?  A lovely, kind man, but mad as a fish; it never occurred to me at the time, but I strongly suspect he’d never fully recovered from the war - he was captured at Dunkirk and spent the next 5 years as a PoW, escaping more than once but never making it home.  I thought this man was pretty much the coolest thing ever, of course.  [His first name was Waldo, which was more than enough to convince the 6-year-old me that he was out of the ordinary].

Anyway, Waldo had an old Moggie (Morris 1000 car, for our non-Brit readers) with a sunshine roof made of ?canvas?.  He might even have modified it himself; he was that kind of bloke.

Sadly, Waldo’s wife died relatively young, and the reason that I am mentioning him now is that he took her coffin to the funeral himself, with the top of it poking out of the sunshine roof.

This, Bill, is the image I have of your poor over-burdened Midget (not to mention your back!)

[Yes, Mojo fully functioning once more - though not fingers.  I even found myself thinking about how best to do the Sea King weapon wiring yesterday...]

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If I put the passenger side seat-back down I suppose I could..........

I expect we all know why they'd have preferred that as a last journey for her

RIP Mrs Waldo

Yes Crisp the Midge did raise a few eyebrows at the dump, but not from the lads who work there

I've driven junk to the dump before, Lara (the Midge) is well known there 

😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 4