Malaysian 777 down in Ukraine

Very bad news. Looks like the Russians or Ukrainians have screwed up big style this time. Though for the Russians it would be nothing new.

Graham

Probably a good idea to hold back on the speculation with this one.

Andrew

I think so. The Daily Mail's journalist hasn't taken the time or trouble to check out some basic technical information before holding forth (I've not looked elsewhere, so I don't know what others have to say). It's not helpful.

Yes, lets see what has actually happened.

Ukrainian separatists claimed to have downed an AN-26 at the same time this aircraft was lost.

Given that a IL-76, AN-26 & Su-25 have all been shot down in this area recently, should commercial traffic still be using it?

Not good lately for Malaysian Airlines tho.

Julien

• Like 2

If and I stress IF its a shoot down then its not a single bloke with a handheld at that altitude. Its a missile system or even an aircraft as there is some speculation of that in the press though I very much doubt that.

Problem is no one is really in control of that area on the ground, and which ever side gets to the crash will spin it against the other.

Very sad

I think Andrew has hit the nail on the head. There are multiple possible scenarios including no intervention by third parties at all and no evidence available at this time so best not to speculate as to cause.

Very sad

I think Andrew has hit the nail on the head. There are multiple possible scenarios including no intervention by third parties at all and no evidence available at this time so best not to speculate as to cause.

It's absolutely dreadful...

I suspect we'll find out what happened very soon, seems very co-incidental to me.

Ben

not a good situation at all for the airline or famlies concerned and yeah lets keep to the facts ...

Indeed there is enough gosip and irresponsible comments going on. At this stage know what knows what it is and it could be any number of things from Technical failure, Bombs or whatever but its too early and raw for the people involved. Best wait for the facts and get back to modelling me thinks.