Matchbox Siskin

Steven

Hi all,

I am building the Matchbox Siskin and have painted it in aluminium before I continue is the correct colour rather than silver.

Thanks Steve

Matt aluminium is fine for the fabric covered areas of the aircraft (everything except the nose forward of the cockpit and the upper area of the fuselage right behind the cockpit). Humbrol Metalcote polished aluminium would be good for the metal panels of the forward fuselage.

I use Alclad white aluminium for the silver doped fabric areas. I'm not sure the Siskin exhibited much in the way of polished metal areas around the front end with it's exposed radial engine. The metal areas tended to be painted in the same colour silver dope as the fabic areas. A quick image google certainly shows this to be the case. Got the 1/32 Silver Wings kit to build some time!

Matt aluminium is fine for the fabric covered areas of the aircraft (everything except the nose forward of the cockpit and the upper area of the fuselage right behind the cockpit). Humbrol Metalcote polished aluminium would be good for the metal panels of the forward fuselage.

I think matt for the fabric is a bit stark, as aluminium dope applied correctly to fabric aeroplanes is actually quite glossy. It'll need to be glossy for decal application anyway so I'd suggest a satin final coat for the fabric areas in a small scale like 1/72 or 1/48.

• 1 year later...

Just started building one of these, and in trying to keep unique subjects under one 'roof', decided to just resurrect an old post.

So what I gather from above, both metal and fabric should be of similar aluminum appearance, as well as the sheen. Now about the green section that some models sport, Matchbox suggests dark green - is this the same dark green that appeared on Spitfires, etc. during wartime? Matt finish or satin? I see the new 1/32 scale Siskins have the green that appears lighter. Is this scale effect or maybe some new information has come to surface?

I'm planning a Canadian aerobatic team version:

rcaf-siskins-03.jpg

rcaf-siskins-02.jpg

regards,

Jack

IIRC, the green panels were painted in Nivo, but I'm sure somebody who is better versed in Siskin paint and markings will be along shortly. When I did my Matchbox Siskin, I mixed a little light grey with flat aluminum and it sprayed well and looked the part. Used Floquil bright silver for the metal panels, buffed lightly with a soft cloth for the metal areas. (You can tell how long ago I built it from my choice of paint!)

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks lads.

Any idea if the Nivo was flat or has some shine to it? Note in the photo posted, the area in shadow just forward of the cockpit, the Nivo and aluminum do have a marked contrast.

regards,

Jack

Thanks lads.

Any idea if the Nivo was flat or has some shine to it? Note in the photo posted, the area in shadow just forward of the cockpit, the Nivo and aluminum do have a marked contrast.

regards,

Jack

Some aircraft had a NIVO painted front fuselage, some had natural metal, it seems to have depended on which squadron the aircraft was on. The Matchbox colour schemes on the box have one of each .

Selwyn

Looking again at the pic, it may well be that the rectangular inspection panels (and possibly the u/c legs) are polished metal, but the "surroundings" of the panel NIVO - the glare of the inspection panels has obviously distracted me from the upper fuselage.

If I were to interpret the photo in post 7 then I would suggest not polished metal but natural aluminium with a sheen. Those panels are in quite poor condition being quite dented. The term all Silver used on other illustrations also does not necessarily mean there was natural metal but means what it says, an overall Silver paint finish!

Here's one from my collection where the panels have had a slight polish put on them.

John

Siskin_zps7cuj8j5d.jpg

• 1 year later...

My apologies for kicking this thread back into life, but can anyone say whether the RCAF ever operated its Siskin IIIAs on skis? I have the Data Plan, which isn't definite - the photos (see above) seem to be of an RAF Mk III. I have a Matchbox Siskin which, in the course of several house moves, has had a wheel go AWL. Snow boots seem to be a reasonable alternative.

I'd say yes to the skis, though have no concrete proof.  These aircraft served for 9 years, and given the climate of Canada, I'm sure they saw many winters.

The aircraft eventually  become  no. 1 and 3 RCAF squadrons, and were based in Trenton.  Being located near the Great Lakes, there definitely would be snow.  Temperature charts show five months of the year are below freezing.

Some extra info on the individual aircraft can be found here;

http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RCAF_301_350_detailed.htm

regards,

Jack

• 3 months later...