Alclad Primer

Mike

Alclad Primer

Grey, White, and Black Airbrush ready Microfiller/primer

boxtop.jpg

I picked up a few cans of this from Graham at Relish Models after the white and black versions were released recently. Now I've used them all on my Bf. 109F recently, I thought I'd venture an opinion on them.

This is an airbrush ready primer, which means it's a non-starter if you don't possess an airbrush. With that caveat out of the way, I can say with hand on heart that this is the best primer I have ever used, and I've used quite a few. Nothing beats Mr Surfacer in a can for convenience, but when you're priming your model prior to painting, this is by far and above the best I've used.

Like Alclad's range of metallic, this is a lacquer based primer, and cellulose thinners can be used to remove the residue from your airbrush. In use, it is a very thin solution, and goes onto your model almost like a translucent color initially. The trick is to keep your airbrush moving and build up coverage with a few passes. If the primer is allowed to pool on your model, the lacquer will attack the plastic, so keep moving. Also, don't be tempted to stand back and spray from a distance - keep the brush quite close to your work, and you'll minimise any gritty patches where the paint has partially dried before hitting the model. I find about 2" should suffice, and usually spray at around 15psi/1 bar.

The finish achieved is velvet smooth, and dry almost immediately, so handling one part of your model while you spray another shouldn't be an issue unless you spray it on too wet. The primer itself is tough, and resilient to lifting, even if masking is left on for ages. It also provides a very good surface onto which you can paint. I use acrylics almost exclusively for the final finish of a model, and I rarely have any issues if I've used Alclad Primer. The white primer is pigment dense, and can easily cover black over light grey without building up a thick layer, and the particles are small enough for it to actually be used as a white topcoat.

Because you have to build up the primer in layers, you do go through a couple of cupfuls on a 1:48 fighter aircraft for example, but the cans are large, holding 120ml each. It's also made in the UK, which is nice and makes a pleasant change in this day & age. Each can retails at about £5.35, but Graham pops them out for £4.75 at present, which represents quite a good value per millilitre.

Review sample courtesy of Graham at
logo.gif

• Like 1

Just to add to Mike's review - I've been using a tin of their 'Gloss Black Base' and I'm a huge fan...

Used this again in the last few weeks on my Hunters - with great results.

Not tried any of the others - but if as good as the one I've been using and as Mike's review - I'll be trying them in the near future.

Highly recommended!!!

Iain

I just wish that there could be a really good water or alcohole based primer out there.

My favorite primer right now is the Games Workshop Chaos Black or Skull White. It's the best canned primer I've ever tried, but since this one is made for airbrushing, I might give it a try. Should save me a lot in the end.

I just wish that there could be a really good water or alcohole based primer out there.

My favorite primer right now is the Games Workshop Chaos Black or Skull White. It's the best canned primer I've ever tried, but since this one is made for airbrushing, I might give it a try. Should save me a lot in the end.

Not to detract from Mikes review I use the Model air grey for dark paint jobs and lifecolor white primer for light paint jobs, never had any problems with either of them

Julien

Mike has far wider experience than me with primers, but in my couple of years' airbrushing trials I too find Alclad II the best & easiest primer yet. I first used the grey primer about eighteen months ago, got it from Hiroboy after a recommendation, and immediately found it far easier to apply than anything else I'd put through an airbrush! Great stuff, and it will remain a standard item for me. I recently got some of the new white Alclad and haven't found it quite so straightforward, though since it's supposed to be the same formulation the fault probably lies with my technique. Mike's mention, above, about distance etc makes me think I've probably been spraying from too far 'cos I've just (a few minutes ago) been lightly sanding off the "gritty" effect he mentions, from the wings (mainly) of a 1/48 A-4: I got a new Iwata HP-C with a .35 nozzle, and I expected it to spray a wider/bigger fan of paint than my existing C-Plus with .30 nozzle, so in fact maybe I need to move in a bit closer for that really smooth finish I've been accustomed to.

Maybe I'll try the black next...

Tony

Get in a bit closer and keep the nozzle moving Tony - oh, and always paint the inside corners (like wing roots) before you do the main areas - helps reduce the graining in those areas :)

• 5 weeks later...

I have used the Alclad grey primer and thought it was fantastic. It dries quickly on the model but not in the airbrush. It provides an excellent base to spray Xtracrylics over, at least, I didn't have any problems. And at less than a fiver for 120ml, it is good value as well. I think this is definitely one to recommend.

Rog

Edited by Rog Hull

• 7 months later...

Hey,

This is an older post but this is the primer I want to go for, I wondered if anyone can tell me if this primer is at all smelly. I use a mask but dont want to have a spray paint smell around. I swear I used them outside once and it made the house smell :)

Hey,

This is an older post but this is the primer I want to go for, I wondered if anyone can tell me if this primer is at all smelly. I use a mask but dont want to have a spray paint smell around. I swear I used them outside once and it made the house smell :)

Yes it honks. Its cellulose thinners based. Wear a mask and keep all the windows open and the door closed behind you.

• 5 months later...

I have been using a bog standard car primer for some time. I always have problems with the paint and primer lifting under masking tape.

So I've tried Alclad grey primer. I stripped down my paint dummy, primed it with Alclad and then painted it as normal. No lifting of paint.

Then I tried some abuse of the paintwork. I plastered ordinary masking tape on it... pressed it down hard and burnished it with a knife handle. No lifting of paint.

Did the same again, but just ripped the masking tape off instead of removing it carefully. No lifting of paint.

I'll be using Alclad primer exclusively from now on. :thumbsup:

I finally got the paint to lift. I used Sellotape as a mask... That's some serious abuse. :D

I use car plastic primer and spray out side, I have never had problems with lifting, it might be because the surface is greasy, I also tend to let the paint cure properly for a few days and rub it down with a fine wet and dry. I don't use Alcad primer even though its good for the reason its cellulose and would stink the house out, and I do not want to be homeless after SWMBO kicks me out

Hi Mike,

thanks for the review, only just picked up on it as I've just ventured into airbrushing.

Following on from what I've learned from your review, I've ordered and received these products and am keen to get practicing.

I also ordered another primer - #303 "Honey Primer Clear Base"; have you any experience on what/when/where to use that one?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike - I've got a can of the Honey Primer, but I've forgotten what it's used for :doh: I seem to recall that it's a gloss primer that's used in conjunction with the gloss black primer to produce differing tones on the high gloss colours. I'm sure someone will be along to elucidate/correct that though :)

Hi Mike - I've got a can of the Honey Primer, but I've forgotten what it's used for :doh:
Mike, you know that is MY excuse, you're much too young to be having those problems!!

Mike

..... what was I saying?

I'm a bit disturbed by the above, 'cos it seems like Mike is talking to himself. :lol:

But back to the serious stuff. Does anyone have any experience of using Alclad primers as a top coat? Specifically, how does it behave when sprayed over enamel or acrylic?

I'm a bit disturbed by the above, 'cos it seems like Mike is talking to himself. :lol:
Hi Enzo,

No, I don't talk to myself

yes you do, all the time

No I don't... it just seems like it

I tell you, you do!!

Don't listen to him

Mike :banghead:

But back to the serious stuff. Does anyone have any experience of using Alclad primers as a top coat? Specifically, how does it behave when sprayed over enamel or acrylic?

It's a lacquer/cellulose based paint, so as long as your base coat is well & truly dry, and you don't whack it on in dollops, you'll be fine. I use the white primer as my white paint now, as it's so dense that it covers VERY quickly and well. My Chippie's white bits are white primer :)

finished1.jpg

• Like 2

It's a lacquer/cellulose based paint, so as long as your base coat is well & truly dry, and you don't whack it on in dollops, you'll be fine. I use the white primer as my white paint now, as it's so dense that it covers VERY quickly and well. My Chippie's white bits are white primer :)

Thanks, Mike. That's just what I wanted to hear. :thumbsup2:

And it's any excuse to show off that superb Chipmunk, innit? :lol:

Now... I have always been put off doing models in the anti-flash white scheme simply because of the difficult in spraying white acrylic. I could use a rattle can of appliance white, but I'm always concerned that the finished result will look bland and toylike. So... I assume that Alclad white primer has a different appearance to appliance white spray paint. It might be interesting to try a base coat of Alclad with various panels masked off and sprayed with appliance white to give a very slight contrast. Must try that sometime.

Edited by Enzo Matrix

.......................... I use the white primer as my white paint now, as it's so dense that it covers VERY quickly and well.

Stop it Mike! at this rate (buying all this fantastic new Alclad stuff) I'm going to be well and truly broke :jump_fire:

REALLY like the chipmunk!

cheers

Mike

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old post, but I have used this grey primer for the first time. Being my first experience using an airbrush I found it really easy to use, very forgiving for an airbrush novice. I have decided to use alclad products for most of my work now. They seem totally idiot proof. Just using their bright silver base and candy ruby red over the primer, all is going well, alclad gets my vote for their products. Shame they seem a bit pricey compared to tamiya.

• 7 years later...