1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Taken most of the day so far - but 'canopy' pattern almost there - currently warming itself in the airing cupboard ready for a few coats of filler primer...

Deliberately over-depth so that I have 'meat' I can cut back when fitting.

IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4096.jpg

More later :)

Iain

• Like 3

Fed up with sanding stuff (was up 'till 1 am sanding fuselage windows :( ) - I've made a start on some fun stuff...

Flight Engineers console coming together:

IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

Edit: Hmmm - that'll teach me to work from blown-up etched frets - panels need moving farther back - will let dry then amend...

Iain

• Like 3

Actually - you're not wrong Mike!!

Coat of primer on modified Flight Engineers station - and panels painted (bezels will get a black wash later).

I'd like to thank that very, very, nice person - Peter of Airscale - for the lovely instruments - *really* appreciated!

Please don't be too critical - images are larger than actual items:

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4102.jpg

Have fun!

Iain

• Like 1

OK - like so many things in modelling I've been putting a lot of this detail stuff off - worried I'd make a mess I guess...

But using the Airscale decals this afternoon - and the bezels previously - I'm really pleased with how well this is coming together now.

And really enjoying the process - which is what it's all about! :coolio:

If you haven't tried Peter's wares then you need to! If a numpty like me can make this from scratch - using sheet plastic and the Airscale stuff...

IMG_4103.jpg

Needs a little tidying - but once in place should look fine I recon.

Was going to stop - but can't - more cockpit tonight :)

Iain

• Like 5

Anything behind that big bulkhead won't be seen Mike - so although original plan was to do whole interior - I'm just concentrating on the pit.

I'm of the opinion that spending months doing the rest of the insides - for it all to be closed up - will just delay me even further - the detail will be in the engines, u/c bays and airframe surface.

Iain

:mental:

Would be possible though as there's a thin clear acrylic sheet between the front panel and instruments - lit from the side it would probably illuminate everything...

But NO!

This *thing's* getting finished - refuse to get sidetracked (yet again)! :)

Iain

• Like 2

Making good progress - thought the centre console was going to be a problem - but basic shapes pretty straightforward - especially with the Illustrated Parts Catalogue to hand.

Trial fitted - along with new foot-boards either side - ready for rudder pedals.

IMG_4109.jpg

Just looking through my photo-etch spares box for suitable material for levers, trim wheels etc..

Really having fun this afternoon! :)

Iain

• Like 2

Well - if we extrapolate from the point we're at - with a start in the last century - I'd say about 2029 if progress continued at the same rate! ;)

But - all the big airframe re-shaping/power tools pretty well done - and I prefer detailing stuff.

Sooo - and I'm very bad at keeping to any deadlines modelling-wise - my current aim is to have her done for Telford 2015...

Perhaps...

Maybe...

Feel free to remind me I said that at this point next year!!

Iain

• Like 3

Question for any US Navy Connie experts...

Have been plowing on with grey for interior parts - but the Rantoul airframe appears to be shades of Bronze green.

Anyone in the know?

EDIT - EC-121K (WV-2) BuNo 143221 at Pensacola is grey - so sticking with that!! Phew...

Suspect earlier airframes were green?

Iain