Crusader Mk.l. 1/35th scale. Italeri.

58 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Very nice John, the work on the spotlight is extremely good, looking forward to seeing some paint on the model now...

Ed

Thanks a lot Ed. I'm reasonably happy with it, but the next time I do an Italeri Crusader, that lamp gets replaced!

John.

• Like 1

One little job at the back of the lower hull that I forgot, was the two oil fillers. The mouldings were poorly aligned, so that the cap was an odd shape. Some careful work with a mini file cleaned them up, and before gluing them in place, I added the missing bolt head to the top of the cap.

qzeDl3V.jpg

I added the three grab handles on the deck and the intake covers. These are the sort that have small “feet” on them which are welded to the surface. So to replicate these, the wire was bent to shape, inserted into pre drilled holes, and then I added the “feet” using 1mm lengths of 10x20 strip.

8504fTD.jpg

The tow wires in the kit are a definite no no, so an alternative was sourced. I had some end loops from a Cromwell kit, along with the string. So I used these instead and glued them in place.

jXbwJRa.jpg

There are a bunch of rivets that needed adding which Italeri omitted. Eighteen altogether. Looking at photos, they're actually conical shaped, but I just made do with a hexagonal punch.

eJrJG9S.jpg

Finally, I added a couple of towing shackles to the front.

Before moving on to the painting stage, the tracks and the sand shields needed adding. The tracks are not wonderful, but seeing as most of them will be hidden behind the shields, it doesn't really matter. I sprayed them with Halfords Auto Acrylic Grey Primer, and then gave them a coat of Tamiya black and brown mixed 50/50. Once dry, I fixed the ends together, both by melting the small tabs that poke through, and then adding some super glue. I also glued them to the undeneath of one of the wheels each side. Any future builds of Italeri Crusaders, will have a set of Fruils.

P5nFnNf.jpg

4mnayCx.jpg

Finally, the sand shields. I had to remove the etched part just below the oil bath filters as they fouled the shields. Hopefully, they will go back on after the shields are in place, or I'll make new ones from card to fit.

rWF946N.jpg

WWlw5WR.jpg

I think that I've covered just about everything, but no doubt, something will rear it's ugly head. But anyway, next stop, the paint shop.

As always, thanks for looking and for any comments.

John.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

One little job at the back of the lower hull that I forgot, was the two oil fillers. The mouldings were poorly aligned, so that the cap was an odd shape. Some careful work with a mini file cleaned them up, and before gluing them in place, I added the missing bolt head to the top of the cap.

qzeDl3V.jpg

I added the three grab handles on the deck and the intake covers. These are the sort that have small “feet” on them which are welded to the surface. So to replicate these, the wire was bent to shape, inserted into pre drilled holes, and then I added the “feet” using 1mm lengths of 10x20 strip.

8504fTD.jpg

The tow wires in the kit are a definite no no, so an alternative was sourced. I had some end loops from a Cromwell kit, along with the string. So I used these instead and glued them in place.

jXbwJRa.jpg

There are a bunch of rivets that needed adding which Italeri omitted. Eighteen altogether. Looking at photos, they're actually conical shaped, but I just made do with a hexagonal punch.

eJrJG9S.jpg

Finally, I added a couple of towing shackles to the front.

Before moving on to the painting stage, the tracks and the sand shields needed adding. The tracks are not wonderful, but seeing as most of them will be hidden behind the shields, it doesn't really matter. I sprayed them with Halfords Auto Acrylic Grey Primer, and then gave them a coat of Tamiya black and brown mixed 50/50. Once dry, I fixed the ends together, both by melting the small tabs that poke through, and then adding some super glue. I also glued them to the undeneath of one of the wheels each side. Any future builds of Italeri Crusaders, will have a set of Fruils.

P5nFnNf.jpg

4mnayCx.jpg

Finally, the sand shields. I had to remove the etched part just below the oil bath filters as they fouled the shields. Hopefully, they will go back on after the shields are in place, or I'll make new ones from card to fit.

rWF946N.jpg

WWlw5WR.jpg

I think that I've covered just about everything, but no doubt, something will rear it's ugly head. But anyway, next stop, the paint shop.

As always, thanks for looking and for any comments.

John.

Looking ace John, very impressed with the details you have added, very well done all round  mate 👍

cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

Very nice workmanship John as always, your attention to the smallest detail moves it to the next level!

Look forward to seeing it in paint now

Roger

• Thanks 1

Looking great John and full of useful tips of things I need to add to mine :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mbthejester said:

Looking ace John, very impressed with the details you have added, very well done all round  mate 👍

cheers

Mark

14 hours ago, NIK122 said:

Yep! She looks the business. Very nicely done John. 😎

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Very nice workmanship John as always, your attention to the smallest detail moves it to the next level!

Look forward to seeing it in paint now

Roger

11 hours ago, badger said:

Looking great John and full of useful tips of things I need to add to mine :thumbsup:

Thanks very much everyone, for the encouraging words. Primer coat went on yesterday, and I'm hoping to be able to apply the base coat later on.

John.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Looks nicer and nicer

Rob

Many thanks Rob. Much appreciated.

John.

Finally arrived at the painting stage, but before I could make a start, I needed to mask off the lower hull, wheels and tracks. Not an easy job, and it took me a whole afternoon. Once done, the primer coat went on, using Halfords Grey Acrylic Auto Primer.

I mixed up the Tamiya paints, but because I wasn't concentrating, I got it wrong. The larger quantity should have been the white, but I got it around my neck, and did the yellow. So the first batch got dumped. So I sprayed the whole model with a mix of 6xXF1, 1xXF3 and 1xXF57, mixed with equal amount of Tamiya thinner, giving it two coats. I ended up with a slightly grainy appearance, but I'm not too worried about that because after all, this was a desert tank.

BldvvGE.jpg

no3yWnv.jpg

SRDalvV.jpg

Once it was completely dry, I lightly pencilled in the outline of the disruptive pattern. I tried depicting the wavy line with black and white water colour pencils, but I wasn't too happy with the result. So I had to bite the bullet and paint the lines. First the white went on and it didn't look too bad, but the black looked too stark, so the next day, I over painted the black with a Games Workshop Battleship Grey.

YWkj02Y.jpg

Once I was (reasonably) happy with the result, it was time to paint the cammo colour.

According to something I read on BM, this paint was applied with old rags, and I'm assuming that it wasn't a standard colour, so I'm going to have to reply on the coloured profile. To me, Khaki Drab is close, but a bit on the dark side, so I'll do some experimental mixes and try and get near to it.

For the mix I used (all Vallejo) Interior green, Khaki and Portland Stone to lighten it bit. Don't ask me what the ratio was, because it was a bit hit and miss, and I've got to make some more up tomorrow for the other side. Oh! Deep joy!! The colour and the black and white lines are patchy in places, but I'm not too worried about that because, as I said, it was applied with old rags and not brushes, on the original. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I don't think that I've ever held my breath for such long periods as I did while painting the cammo colour and the black and white lines.

EJsqfZW.jpg

@Mike StarmerIf you read this Mike, perhaps you can help me out. I'm working from a colour profile and one very grainy photo, so all I have is a profile of the LHS, and a photo that is three quarter front view, RHS. I believe that you said that this cammo scheme didn't extend up over the horizontal surfaces. What I'm struggling with is trying to work out if the cammo went around the front of the turret, and also the front and rear of the hull. Any help would be much appreciated.

Well that's it for this update. Next I'll give it a gloss coat of varnish before adding any decals. I need to find out what markings, apart from the T number, it carried. 

Thanks for looking and for any comments.

John.

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Finally arrived at the painting stage, but before I could make a start, I needed to mask off the lower hull, wheels and tracks. Not an easy job, and it took me a whole afternoon. Once done, the primer coat went on, using Halfords Grey Acrylic Auto Primer.

I mixed up the Tamiya paints, but because I wasn't concentrating, I got it wrong. The larger quantity should have been the white, but I got it around my neck, and did the yellow. So the first batch got dumped. So I sprayed the whole model with a mix of 6xXF1, 1xXF3 and 1xXF57, mixed with equal amount of Tamiya thinner, giving it two coats. I ended up with a slightly grainy appearance, but I'm not too worried about that because after all, this was a desert tank.

BldvvGE.jpg

no3yWnv.jpg

SRDalvV.jpg

Once it was completely dry, I lightly pencilled in the outline of the disruptive pattern. I tried depicting the wavy line with black and white water colour pencils, but I wasn't too happy with the result. So I had to bite the bullet and paint the lines. First the white went on and it didn't look too bad, but the black looked too stark, so the next day, I over painted the black with a Games Workshop Battleship Grey.

YWkj02Y.jpg

Once I was (reasonably) happy with the result, it was time to paint the cammo colour.

According to something I read on BM, this paint was applied with old rags, and I'm assuming that it wasn't a standard colour, so I'm going to have to reply on the coloured profile. To me, Khaki Drab is close, but a bit on the dark side, so I'll do some experimental mixes and try and get near to it.

For the mix I used (all Vallejo) Interior green, Khaki and Portland Stone to lighten it bit. Don't ask me what the ratio was, because it was a bit hit and miss, and I've got to make some more up tomorrow for the other side. Oh! Deep joy!! The colour and the black and white lines are patchy in places, but I'm not too worried about that because, as I said, it was applied with old rags and not brushes, on the original. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I don't think that I've ever held my breath for such long periods as I did while painting the cammo colour and the black and white lines.

EJsqfZW.jpg

@Mike StarmerIf you read this Mike, perhaps you can help me out. I'm working from a colour profile and one very grainy photo, so all I have is a profile of the LHS, and a photo that is three quarter front view, RHS. I believe that you said that this cammo scheme didn't extend up over the horizontal surfaces. What I'm struggling with is trying to work out if the cammo went around the front of the turret, and also the front and rear of the hull. Any help would be much appreciated.

Well that's it for this update. Next I'll give it a gloss coat of varnish before adding any decals. I need to find out what markings, apart from the T number, it carried. 

Thanks for looking and for any comments.

John.

Looking great John, very well done 👍 

cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looking good in its war paint John

Roger

10 hours ago, mbthejester said:

Looking great John, very well done 👍 

cheers

Mark

Thanks a lot both of you for your comments. Much appreciated.

John.

Thanks a lot BF. No, I'm happy with them now, now that I've painted them. It was before. I'd try to mark them out with a water colour pencil, but it wasn't successful.

John.

4 hours ago, StuartH said:

Looking superb. Great job with the painting 👏

Thanks Stuart. I appreciate it. Apart from having to hold my breath for long periods, I quite enjoyed it.

John.

12 hours ago, flyboy2610 said:

Nice work on the camo job!

Thanks Flyboy. Glad that you like it.

John.

Very nicely done John, it's all progressing rather well. I like the way that you have done those lines, I've always shied away from doing those in the past, must try to do some in the future as they do look good...

Ed

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Very nicely done John, it's all progressing rather well. I like the way that you have done those lines, I've always shied away from doing those in the past, must try to do some in the future as they do look good...

Ed

Thanks Ed. I'm glad that you like it. It wasn't too bad, once I got started. Just learning to hold my breath for a while. Oh, and one other tip. Don't sit with one foot resting on the other, because when it slips off, you jump, and so does the paint brush (Ask me how I know).

John.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, APA said:

Nice detail again John and that paint scheme is cool as... 👍

Andrew 

I appreciate your comments Andrew. Many thanks for that.

John.