1/72 Sword Sikorsky S-43

Hi all and first finish of this year for me., Sword's 1/72 Sikorsky S-43 'Baby Clipper' in US Navy service for the "WW2 Twins GB".

The build thread is here but to recap:

Kit: Sword Sikorsky S-43/JRS-1 SW72019

Build: Fuselage & wings were part-started by another modeller - the kit was finished by me OOB

Paints: Tamiya acrylics sprayed. Johnshon's Klear. 

Decals: BuNo1063/1-J-1 from Navy Squadron VJ-1, Pearl Harbour survvor. Decals are from Eduard release of this kit (thank you Toby)

Extras: Wire and sprue for rigging. Krystal Klear for all the cabin windows.

Notes: Too many to mention! One of those kits where nothing really fits together. Approach with a lot of caution!

Thanks for looking, take care and happy modelling.

Dermot

53626798921_3a6a14ab52_b.jpgSword_Sikorsky_S-43_JRS1_Finish_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

53627238965_d5a7b2603e_b.jpgSword_Sikorsky_S-43_JRS1_Finish_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

53627238960_5ffddb0861_b.jpgSword_Sikorsky_S-43_JRS1_Finish_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

53626798916_702deab67e_b.jpgSword_Sikorsky_S-43_JRS1_Finish_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

53626994673_5d077c324b_b.jpgSword_Sikorsky_S-43_JRS1_Finish_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

You did very well at turning a difficult kit into a fine showpiece.  The interwar scheme was done perfectly.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic!  

I have the kit in my stash (the Special Hobby boxing) but that is where it stays until I get the motivation.

I know you would have needed to do a lot of work to get it looking so good, so my hat's off to you.

Well done! 👏👏👏

• Like 1

A very eye-catching scheme on an interesting aircraft, plus a rescue of someone else's start. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Thanks 1

Like kapam I too have that kit in my stash.  Seeing your masterwork. . . . . I don’t know, does it inspire me to drag it out or hang my head in shame knowing mine would never look as great as yours?  Incredible job.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You really did a very nice job with that kit and you should be proud of your effort. Like kapam and Ad-4N, I also have that kit in my stash and after seeing your build I may just sell or swap mine because I know I could never finish it anywhere near as good as yours.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, kapam said:

Fantastic!  

I have the kit in my stash (the Special Hobby boxing) but that is where it stays until I get the motivation.

I know you would have needed to do a lot of work to get it looking so good, so my hat's off to you.

Well done! 👏👏👏

14 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Like kapam I too have that kit in my stash.  Seeing your masterwork. . . . . I don’t know, does it inspire me to drag it out or hang my head in shame knowing mine would never look as great as yours?  Incredible job.

13 hours ago, Billy54 said:

You really did a very nice job with that kit and you should be proud of your effort. Like kapam and Ad-4N, I also have that kit in my stash and after seeing your build I may just sell or swap mine because I know I could never finish it anywhere near as good as yours.  

Thank you! The pictures hide a lot of mistakes and goofs. I'm an average modeller so my advice is go build the kits you have.

I admit it's no shake-and-bake-TamiGawa and you'll need to use all the modelling skills you've learned. Sure, there are a few challenges along the way (canopy fit/butt joins galore/engine cowlings/very-fussy undercarriage etc) but they're not deal-breakers. 

Stick with it and you'll be rewarded with a kit that not many people build....and (for me anyway), a great sense of achievement at the end.

Happy modelling.

Dermot

• Like 1

It looks fabulous Dermot, and brings a nice splash of bright colour in amongst all the camouflage. The bright green tail looks like some fresh exotic leaf!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1