1/48 Academy USN F3F-2.

Hello and welcome Steve, O built an original Accurate Miniatures mold of this plane. The build starts on page 2 of this thread. Maybe there is something in there for you ? I also have a bit of Golden wings info at home in the office. If you need any info/help let me know. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Great choice. It looks like we get the full range of US Navy interwar. This will be a very colourful GB!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening folk's time to start this build as usual with the excellent cockpit supplied.I'm considering maybe adding the later Wildcat in a late 30's yellow wing scheme.

20240401_202222

• Like 7

Morning all,pushing on with this lovely kit,all the internals fitted and after no issues the lower wings part of the u/c fitted and a couple of coats of brushed primer/surfacer.brushed on the

first coat of aluminium give it a couple of hours for the next on

20240407_103531

• Like 9

That looks great! I got the earlier version (F3F-1) in my stash, and seeing your progress on this attractive model I'm tempted to add another yellow-wing to my series. But there's no time, time, time...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toryu said:

That looks great! I got the earlier version (F3F-1) in my stash, and seeing your progress on this attractive model I'm tempted to add another yellow-wing to my series. But there's no time, time, time...

Many thanks Toryu,moved the build on during the day brush painted two coats each of the respective colours.

20240407_195902

• Like 12

Looking great so far 👍 There's a couple of real tricky little u/c door pieces that include the sides of an oil tank or something--  they kind of twist and click into place up between the legs. Have you done them yet?? The original maker's instructions (is it Minicraft??)*** give some written advice and on how to fit them, but Academy just show the (same)drawings and omit all the verbal guidance in the interest of "multinational fairness" 

Maybe you've breezed it already without even noticing the trickiness of the operation. 

If you've still to do it...... stay cool 😎 

Edit, *** Accurate Miniatures .💡

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Maybe you've breezed it already without even noticing the trickiness of the operation. 

It was a total pain Rob but managed it despite the poor instructions,made progress today and a couple of coats on the upper wing drying nicely.

20240411_174759

• Like 7

13 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Alright 👍  Looking great and will look fantastic with the yellow wing on top 

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Fabulous progress, Steve, this is an absolutely stunner in its glorious  pre-war colours! Superb!

Cheers, 

Mark 

Many thanks folk's might need one more coat on the yellow wing this area I'm spraying rather than brushing,once done as with the fuselage it needs masking for the red bands.

20240412_103929

• Like 8

Beautiful build so far, the Accurate Miniatures Grumman F3F are amongst my favourite kits, having built both over the years (only for them to get destroyed during a house move), seeing yours come to life, I feel the need to acquire one of each just for reminiscence sake.

• Like 2

Morning all,have to say this has been a joy to build and paint bodes well for the other two.Last lap now only the small amount of rigging and the glazing to add.

20240416_100531

• Like 7