Chinook CH-47C. Italian Army.

Hello all from the shed. First finished model of 2024.

So, there I was making Chinook HC1 BN for a friend when crack went the canopy while I was giving it a little polish 😧.

Nothing for it but to buy another Chinook model for the canopy. As the HC1 was the Airfix kit I thought I would get the Italeri kit for a change. However, it was remarkably similar (in fact identical) to the Airfix one apart from the decals. Just as well I suppose as I was swapping bits between kits.

The HC1 built in parrallel has lots of Black Dog resin on it, as I enjoyed using those parts I bought Black Dogs snow shoes for this Italian cab build. I also added a little bit of scratch work in the form of aerials and the decals are a mix of Airfix, Italeri and Model Allience. Its finished using Xtra Color paints and varnishes and is panel lined and weathered using Flory wash and Tamiya powders.

Not the best fitting kit but I do like doing a helicopter (two in fact) for a change. I'm looking forward to seing how the new Airfix moulding of the Chinook is in comparison to the old moulds.

The model depicts a Chinook CH-47C of the Italian Army.  1 RGPT. “Antares” based at Viterbo in 1992.

Here are a few pics. Hope you like it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Bravo November soon.

Pete

• Like 60
  • Thanks 2

Pete ,

this is amazing! Very nice modeling! Superb presentation and photography. Always good to see helicopters 

Andy

• Thanks 1

Nice one!

Adding the skis is a brilliant idea. I did not know these existed, actually.

I am probably dumb but I do not really understand their use on a helo that takes off and lands vertically by nature.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

(I assume that you completed it this year?)

Yes😄. I seem to have suffered some sort of regression episode while typing🤪. Thanks for telling me, I'll change it forthwith.

4 hours ago, SebTartar said:

Nice one!

Adding the skis is a brilliant idea. I did not know these existed, actually.

I am probably dumb but I do not really understand their use on a helo that takes off and lands vertically by nature.

Thanks, I found a picture on the internet showing them fitted to an Italian Chinook and thought it made it look a bit out of the ordinary. I had seen them on several modeling shop sites and managed to get some.

I think the idea of them is like those snow shoes you can strap to your feet to stop you sinking in rather than to act as a ski.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

Great build and nice idea for the skiing version. 

Lolo

Thank you very much.

Thats a very good website you have, I will be using it for reference in the future.:like:

Pete

• Thanks 1

Nice hook in a colorfull livery made even more so with the snow shoes. In my 16 year career flying Chinooks I think we only ever once took the skis out of the storage shed. They're a bear to get on and off and always threaten weirdness in flight (I can't remember exactly, but I think there was a severe airspeed restriction when installed).

As for why... at max gross weight the Chinook is 50,000lbs and will sink right down to the bottom of the airframe in snow leaving your cargo hooks and all your antennae at risk. And if you have to shut down and restart, there is the problem of ground resonance at low rotor speeds when the landing gear struts are taken out of the equation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, RainierHooker said:

at max gross weight the Chinook is 50,000lbs and will sink right down to the bottom of the airframe in snow leaving your cargo hooks and all your antennae at risk. And if you have to shut down and restart, there is the problem of ground resonance at low rotor speeds when the landing gear struts are taken out of the equation. 

Thank you. The minature skis were a bear to fit as well. There were tiny resin bolts that pass through holes in the skis into the wheel hub. The wheels had to be drilled to accept the bolts, it took me ages to get them on.!🥵

Thanks for the write up in your reply it was very interesting, quite a stint on Chinooks. With regards to sinking in I think the Chinook in the link below could have done with having skis fitted😀

(right click, open in new tab)

https://stmaaprodfwsite.blob.core.windows.net/assets/sites/1/2021/01/110121-RAF-chinoock-stuck-in-mud-c-RAF-Benson.jpg

The bolts never line up in the real thing either! Something's always bent or un-adjusted in storage. The Army Reserve unit down the street from my last duty station had the high-altitude rescue mission for the area (Mount Rainier among other 10000ft+ mountains). Around November they'd fit the skis onto a singular aircraft that waited for something, anything, to happen. I don't think it would move or do anything other than a 14-day engine runs and regular services until the skis came off in the spring. That way they only had to do battle with the snowshoes two days a year! 

• Like 3

On 3/19/2024 at 1:41 PM, Pete in a shed said:

Thank you very much.

Thats a very good website you have, I will be using it for reference in the future.:like:

Pete

With pleasure, Pete ! 😀😉

Lolo 

• Like 1