Hasegawa 1/72 RA5C Vigilante

I tried building this kit 40 or so years ago. I cracked the canopy trying to blend it into the fuselage and that was the end of that. No Falcon replacements back then. Fast forward to a few years ago and I found one cheap and thought why not? A smart modeller would have reached for Trumpeters effort, but I couldn’t get past forward fuselages shape issues. I added Reskit J79 nozzles and main wheels. The J79’s didn’t actually fit and I had to increase the diameter of the rear fuselage by wrapping it in thin styrene then copious sanding and superglue gel. Took forever, and all you can see are the nozzles poking out the rear… I also hacked and detailed the main landing gear legs, then remembered too late I had the SAC replacements which are way more accurate. The vertical fin was modified to the correct shape and the second set of blow in doors added on the intakes. Finally, the whole thing was re-scribed. What crossed the finish line was not what I hoped, but the beast is in the case. 

DSC_0300 DSC_0301

DSC_0302 DSC_0303

DSC_0308

DSC_0309

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

Given all the work you had to put into it, the end result is impressive.

• Like 1

Very nice!

Glad you got it to the finish, in spite of a few dramas.

To me, this looks like one of the USA’s most beautiful military jets, but it doesn’t seem to have been in service as long as other (less good looking) types.

Anyway, fantastic build!

👏👏👍

Beautiful upgrade of the Hasegawa kit- life is definitely better the second time around. Everything you did was worth the hard work, as you have a Vigilante of which you can be proud. A beautiful and very fast jet that did yeoman service in the SEA.  Guessing maybe attaching the Hasegawa forward fuselage to the Trumpeter  kit might have gotten  you there, but at  great expense. Wish Trumpeter did better research, as they could have given us a state of the art kit! Well done! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

I like what you did, and am glad you finished it. I still think it's incredible that they landed that jet on an aircraft carrier.

Really nice work. I think that I built mine at the same time as your first attempt so, unlike your second attempt, it was built straight from the box with no worries about accuracy or aftermarket additions. Innocence is a wonderful thing!

John

You did the right thing in avoiding the Trumpeter kit. It just looks too "boxy" whereas the Hasegawa kit, dated as it may be, seems to capture the elegant lines of the real thing.

Nicely done!

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2024 at 8:30 PM, kapam said:

Very nice!

Glad you got it to the finish, in spite of a few dramas.

To me, this looks like one of the USA’s most beautiful military jets, but it doesn’t seem to have been in service as long as other (less good looking) types.

Anyway, fantastic build!

👏👏👍

It was designed to carry nukes, lost its mission and got turned into a too big recon aircraft. There was also too much interference in the way it was utilized in Vietnam as well-they basically knew it was coming. 

On 3/14/2024 at 11:33 PM, 72modeler said:

Beautiful upgrade of the Hasegawa kit- life is definitely better the second time around. Everything you did was worth the hard work, as you have a Vigilante of which you can be proud. A beautiful and very fast jet that did yeoman service in the SEA.  Guessing maybe attaching the Hasegawa forward fuselage to the Trumpeter  kit might have gotten  you there, but at  great expense. Wish Trumpeter did better research, as they could have given us a state of the art kit! Well done! :goodjob:

Mike

I kinda wanted the fun of doing it the way I did it. And not a rivet in sight! 

On 3/15/2024 at 9:10 AM, Jackman said:

You did the right thing in avoiding the Trumpeter kit. It just looks too "boxy" whereas the Hasegawa kit, dated as it may be, seems to capture the elegant lines of the real thing.

Nicely done!

Trumpeter, a glaring error in every kit? Who knew!😁

Thanks for all kind comments guys.

Edited by Robin-42

Very nice! I love the Vigilante - two F-104s in tight formation :) …. My meaning the two J79s of the A-5 ;) for those unfamiliar 

• Like 1