Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero, 261st Kokutai, Saipan, 1944

Hi Everyone,

After much pondering of how to finish the 2nd half of my Zero Dual Combo, finally decided on this one.......

1i2DJC5.jpg

....mainly because of the interesting paint/scheme, so I thought I better share a few pic`s

S8YSE2R.jpg

My 2nd attempt at Eduards 1/48, A6M2 Zero kit

amOsk9Z.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of the 261st Kokutai, Saipan, 1944

bsS9mRs.jpg

It`s not clear from resources or the decal sheet (H-Models Decals HMD48055) as to whether the paint was a serious attempt at camouflage..

crLiWSj.jpg

...or some odd weathering effect or what the second camo` colour would have been.

i3JZyo4.jpg

Anyway, OOB, just added ignition harness, brake pipes and aerial wire

BtjgZTu.jpg 

The H-Models Decals were no trouble and went on really well

cxQ51AW.jpg

Hope you enjoy my attempt, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Well Russ,

another artistic performance! Well done paintjob on this faded green. Nice picture too as always.

Cheers

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice Job Russ!  The 261st had an interesting but short life during the battle in and around Saipan.  Even arming them as bombers for anti-ship attacks.  This is mine in 1/18 scale.

thumbnail_IMG_7150

Same bird in this original photo on Saipan.  All the intell guys seemed particularly interested, but why?  Even tagged for further study.  See antenna.

thumbnail_A6M5 261 Kokutai 8-13 Saipan 2Aug44 (2)

• Thanks 1

Very nice Zero with such an effectively faded paint scheme that doesn't consist of a silver finish showing through.  It is weathered, but not to the point of looking sand blasted.  Just so well done.  And your photography really enhances the presentation of this kit.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

I'm with georgeusa, that faded/worn green effect is brilliantly done, really like it, great build. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Nice Job Russ!  The 261st had an interesting but short life during the battle in and around Saipan.  Even arming them as bombers for anti-ship attacks.  This is mine in 1/18 scale.

thumbnail_IMG_7150

Same bird in this original photo on Saipan.  All the intell guys seemed particularly interested, but why?  Even tagged for further study.  See antenna.

thumbnail_A6M5 261 Kokutai 8-13 Saipan 2Aug44 (2)

Thanks, possibly they`re contemplating whether it`s a serious attempt at camouflage or some odd weathering weathering effect?

Another masterpiece Russ.  I really like how you weathered this one with uncanny precision. :coolio:

Mike

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zigomar said:

Arigato gozaimasu Russ san for a neat Zeke! Cheers!

Thank you very much too Jean ( yeah I looked it up 🙂)